Real Choices

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Real Choices

Postby Ann Goldman » Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:41 pm

I can understand why Lawrence Road residents would be emotional about the transfer station verses curbside options. They have lived in a less than pleasant situation that gets worse each year as the population of Merrimack continues to grow. I can remember going to the dump in the 1970's on a Saturday and there were maybe 5 or 6 other cars there. I went with my husband a couple of years ago and was amazed at the traffic. So I just don't buy the statement that the residents there knew what they were getting into when they bought their homes.

What I don't understand is why those who are in favor of a transfer station feel so threatened.

Curbside has minimal startup costs and no long term commitments. If it doesn't work out, the town can always choose to build a transfer station.
You get an extra choice with curbside.

A transfer station is a big investment of time and money. Once you build it you can't exactly move it to another location. If it doesn't work out you are stuck with it and you are out of choices because no one is going to shut down a 1.5 million dollar white elephant. There is no extra choice.

The real choice is how we decide to reduce trash in our town. I just had a doctors appointment and was discussing the issue with the receptionist who also lives in Merrimack. She told me that she carefully sorts all of her disposables into trash and the different forms of recycling. Then her husband goes to the landfill and throws it all in the dump!

We need to make it more desirable to recycle and to reuse as verses throwing everything away. As far as I can tell the only way to do this is by use of PAYT.

Our camp is in Tunbridge Vermont and their dump was closed at least 10 years ago. There is a "per bag" charge for all trash at the transfer site. There are deposits required on all bottles and cans at the stores. Since this town is sparcely populated and 90% unpaved it makes no sense to have curbside pickup. There are no developments or densely populated areas.

If someone can tell me a fairer way to finance trash disposal please let me know. I have neighbors in Merrimack who generate a lot of trash and make no attempt to recycle. Some are self haulers and some have curbside. One of the curbside neighbors used to have 2 barrels of trash per week when there were 4 people living at the house. We have a family of 4 (2 are teenagers) and we generate 1 barrel of trash per week. How is this possible? We recycle more than what we throw out. My husband goes to the recycling center about once a month.

Please don't categorize me as part of any "crew". I am an individual and I vote as an individual. Anyone who knows me will tell you that no one tells me how to think!
Ann Goldman

Postby Ann Goldman » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:57 am

Betty,

You give us no real choices in the TS/Curbside debate.

If we don't completely agree with you we get labeled as part of the "lawrence road crew". Even someone who prefers a TS but not on Fearon Road gets the "lawrence road crew" label.

So there are no real choices in your mind. We are either one of "betty's boys and girls" or part of the "lawrence road crew".

I also notice that you have yet to comment on PAYT or the fact that if we do try out curbside we can always change to a TS. This gives us the added time we need to do it right.

I agree with Denise that Lawrence Road is not a safe place for all of this traffic.

Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby Denise O'Dwyer » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:35 am

Annie,
I agree with you about “doing the right thing”. If we vote in curbside for x amount of years, and the possibility of having new blood in the BOS imagine what this town could do. We will have the time to decide if we stay with curbside or build a TS in the correct location, if we ever want to go down that hopefully not so winding road.
That is a real choice
Denise
Denise O'Dwyer

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling