Money for Solid Waste

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Money for Solid Waste

Postby Norman Phillips » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:06 pm

Betty---I wonder if you could help me? I was at the library this afternoon, looking up the antecedents to the present “ Solid Waste Disposal Revenue Fund”. In the minutes of the May 1988 Town Meeting, I found, under Article 17, the following item.
  • ARTICLE 17: TO SEE IF THE TOWN WILL VOTE TO REQUIRE THAT ALL FEES CHARGED FOR THE DISPOSAL OF REFUSE UNDER THE LANDFILL ORDINANCE ( CHAPTER 138 OF THE TOWN CODE) BE USED SOLELY FOR THE OPERATION AND EVENTUAL CLOSURE OF THE MERRIMACK SANITARY LANDFILL, OR ACT UPON ANYTHING RELATIVE THERETO.
  • A MOTION was made by Chairman of the Board of Selectmen Nancy Gagnon and seconded by Selectman Brundige, to pass this article as read. Chairman Gagnon spoke to her motion, explaining that passage of this article will allow the town to place monies received in revenues and place them into a fund that would be used only for the landfill, to prepare for its eventual closure. Town Manager Dan Ayer urged the voters to support this article, calling it one of the most important articles that will be acted on his evening. There being no discussion coming from the audience, the Moderator called the question. MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY in the AFFIRMATIVE and was so declared.
Betty, do you remember this? Can you verify that this fund is what is now called the Solid Waste Disposal Revenue Fund and which will be called upon by our BOS to fund a transfer station????? Or is it something else????
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling