Yearly renewals for dump permits

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Yearly renewals for dump permits

Postby Mark Cloutier » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Why can't the town require a yearly renewal of dump stickers?

Each year the stickers would be a different color that should be easy to flag by the transfer station personnel.

This would hopefully decrease the number of illegal dumpers in Merrimack.

One such illegal dumper could be someone who moves to a neighboring town, but continues to enter the transfer station because of their one-time issued dump sticker.
Mark Cloutier

Postby Storytjdsa1 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:04 am

Mark,
I have watched this forum for a number of yrs, I guess even since its beginning. This thing about illegal dumping has come up many times before and the town mgr and others have reported that I best I recall in every case where the town has performed spot (not advertised )inspections there has never been any illegal dumping. Not that it could be going on but I think it probably isn't in all likelyhood happening at our transfer station.
Therefore I is my opinion that annual colored stickers are not necessary.
Especially if we have to pay for them to keep the cost down.
Tom S.
Storytjdsa1

Postby RBarnes » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:25 am

Storytjdsa1 wrote:This thing about illegal dumping has come up many times before and the town mgr and others have reported that I best I recall in every case where the town has performed spot (not advertised )inspections there has never been any illegal dumping.

The "inspections" this town have done are a JOKE. First of all they park a cop or something right at the front gate where everyone can see them. Secondly they don't do anything to cars that suddenly turn around.

Case in point, one day I was taking trash to the dump in my pick up. I left my sticker in my other car but figure what's the big deal since I'm right down the road. When I got there I saw a cop checking stickers so after starting in, I backed up and turned around. It was very clear the back of my truck was full of trash but the cop didn't say or do anything. I watched for a little while that day and I noticed at least two other cars coming FROM the dump still carrying their trash.

Further more going to the point Mark raised, if the car has a sticker they don't stop it or check that the person is actually a Merrimack resident. You can have a sticker from a car you bought 10 years ago from someone in Merrimack and dump here all you want without anyone stopping you. When have they EVER checked to see that the people with stickers are actually Merrimack residence?

Storytjdsa1 wrote:Especially if we have to pay for them to keep the cost down.

I doubt the stickers cost a fortune and with the average family dumping 1.25 tons per year (costing the town around $130 a ton give or take) we would only have to stop one person a year to make up for the cost of the stickers.
RBarnes

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:56 am

There has been much illegal dumping going on through the years. I met with a Merrimack Journal reporter a couple years ago and she was astounded at what she saw. The dirt road leading to the old sludge pit was stacked with all kinds of trash.

In fact, I called the police on several occasions seeing people flying up LR with trash when the dump was closed. They caught a few of them.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Storytjdsa1 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:35 am

Hi,
Both of you missed the point.
1st; I would not expect the police to go chasing anyone who turns around before entering the dump b/c they forgot or didn't have a sticker.
Again I said everytime they have checked not occurrences of illegal dumping at the old dump and now at the TS. I am not naive to think this is a perfect world.
In fact some people were stopped, me included, b/c we did have our sticker on display and some people had MA plates. Guess what they used company vehicles registered in MA or CT but lived in Merr. As long as they can produce proof of Merr residence (ie valid NH license) that was sufficient. As it was in my case and others.
Again the police and town mgr has stated in public at BOS meeting that no illegal TS dumping.

Now on the other hand illegal dumping is occuring next to the TS on the dirt road and probably other places. Not to mention things that fall out of people vehicles and intentionally not picked up afterwards. This your 100% correct but again if the MPD catches them or neighbors get the plate numbers then the police can and do take action. I do wish people would just be more responsible for their own actions and stop and pick up their fall trash and or stop the illegal dumping in our town.

Tom S.
Storytjdsa1

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:30 am

Storytjdsa1 wrote:Hi,
Both of you missed the point.
1st; I would not expect the police to go chasing anyone who turns around before entering the dump b/c they forgot or didn't have a sticker.
Again I said everytime they have checked not occurrences of illegal dumping at the old dump and now at the TS. I am not naive to think this is a perfect world.
In fact some people were stopped, me included, b/c we did have our sticker on display and some people had MA plates. Guess what they used company vehicles registered in MA or CT but lived in Merr. As long as they can produce proof of Merr residence (ie valid NH license) that was sufficient. As it was in my case and others.
Again the police and town mgr has stated in public at BOS meeting that no illegal TS dumping.

Now on the other hand illegal dumping is occuring next to the TS on the dirt road and probably other places. Not to mention things that fall out of people vehicles and intentionally not picked up afterwards. This your 100% correct but again if the MPD catches them or neighbors get the plate numbers then the police can and do take action. I do wish people would just be more responsible for their own actions and stop and pick up their fall trash and or stop the illegal dumping in our town.

Tom S.

Hi Tom,

I did miss your point. My point is there was illegal dumping at the entrance of the old dump/dirt road. I stood at BOS meetings in the past asking for help with this problem. It took a long time to get this trash cleaned up. I do hope that the DPW monitors this dirt road regularly. I also hope they have LR on a weekly schedule (Monday's) for clean up. Noone should have to live with other peoples' trash in their yards.
Last edited by Muriel Lortie on Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Shannon Barnes » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:06 pm

One of the biggest issues with loose trash is....vermon. Since LR is a dumping ground, we have faced problems with things like wolves. Not being hunters, we were lucky to have neighbors who hunted and took care of them in the past. They were literally living in our lilac bushes along the road and outside of our windows. When they howled you would swear they were in the room with you. It was very scary.

So the fact our road is an illegal dumping ground is cause for concern and we should address the problem. If the town can make commemorative transfer station magnets, they can make annual permits. Heck, make it a part of car registration. When you register you get a sticker for your license plate and a TS sticker. If we ordered 9000 stickers it should cost less than $1000.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:18 pm

Correction---

They are not wolves, but coyotes!

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Storytjdsa1 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:14 am

Shannon,
I state it again getting annual permits for the TS will have no or very effect on the illegal dumping. The illegal dumping IS NOT OCCURRING AT THE TS. It is occurring along the roads etc.
The only solution in my opinion is consistent monitoring by all residence of the immediate areas and report the same to the MPD with vehicle info and plate numbers. Then something can be done. Your fighting the wrong fight. Take issue with the people who are commiting the crime, not the majority of people who comply with the town ordinences.

It makes me think of the car thief. Locks & security systems will not keep the car thief from stealing your car if he/she really wants it, but locks will keep the causal joy rider from taking a car for a ride.
Tom S.
Storytjdsa1

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:49 pm

Storytjdsa1 wrote:I state it again getting annual permits for the TS will have no or very effect on the illegal dumping. The illegal dumping IS NOT OCCURRING AT THE TS.

Tom, I think there are two distinctly different types of illegal dumping here. One is the bags that either fall out of people's cars or that are dumped in the woods or around the site.

The later will always be a problem and you’re correct with your other statements that if it is spotted it should be reported. Problem is it isn't always spotted but we ALL should put pressure on the town to actually take the time to LOOK at the trash being illegally dumped. Often times there would be a bill or something giving away the address it originated from and the Merrimack police should ticket the household responsible for it.

The other type of illegal dumping is one we will not catch unless we do spot checks on every car at the site. I have NEVER seen a car with a sticker displayed questioned by this town. And as was already pointed out it doesn't take much for someone buying a car from Merrimack to keep the sticker or for someone to claim they lost it and get a new one while they gave the old one to a buddy in the next town over. These cars would have same state plates and would have a sticker. Issuing new stickers every year would make it harder for this situation to occur. And it wouldn't be too hard to impose a small fee for people needing two stickers or who need a replacement because they "lost" it.
RBarnes

Postby Wayne » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:56 pm

Regarding the use/abuse of dump stickers, my solution is PAYT. Then it won't really matter if someone has a sticker or not.
Wayne

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:49 pm

Wayne,

Your PAYT answer has merit, but faces obstacles.

(1) It has to be approved via majority vote. It crashed and burned last time.

(2) We are already subsidizing the TS in taxes. To self-haul, you would either (a) pay twice--once through taxes and once through a PAYT fee or (b) pay so much per bag to cover such TS costs it becomes cheaper to hire a hauler (I suggest Waste Management as they did not pull a fast one on the town for their own gain--Plus they are cheaper than the others!).

You are right though, PAYT to cover all TS costs is the only fair way to make the system work....but will it create more illegal dumping as people don't want to pay?
Shannon Barnes

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling