Not my job?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Not my job?

Postby RBarnes » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:09 pm

My wife went to our “world classâ€
RBarnes

Postby Michael Thompson » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:23 pm

Rick,

In the employees defense I was there this morning and there wasn't any trash at the entrance. (I was there at 8 am) Maybe it fell off someones truck.

In the past I have seen trash at the enterance of the facility and I just stopped and picked it up since it is my town too. The bag may have been ripped apart when it came off the truck as did the one I picked up on my way in.

Also, in response to your question (I’m not sure exactly what his job is since that’s all I’ve ever seen the guy do). I have seen him cleaning in fromt of the building the stuff that others don't pick up after themselves and he also helps people unload the trash.

I will agree that it should have been noted and someone should have been requested to pick it up.
Michael Thompson

Postby Shannon Barnes » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:01 pm

My point is no one said thank you we will take care of it. It was someone else will do it. Rick's point of it being there and ignored is the big deal. I made a number of trips today to get rid of yard waste and my vehicle was full of sticks. I was not picking up bags of trash (4 or 5). My trips lasted 90 minutes..I notified the employee on my first go through.

The point is the trash was ignored by employees paid to take care of the trash. The fact you have picked up trash in the same method means that employees should check regularly to see if there is illegal dumping at the curb and not expect a truck driver to stop an 18-wheeler to pick it up on his way through.

I called Ed Chase's office and they said they would follow up. I haven't been back through so I don't know if it is still there.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:03 pm

1 more thing...it was piled together in the weeds along the entrance road--a deliberate dump for sure not a fall off of the wagon thing.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Michael Thompson » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:13 pm

Shannon, I agreed that something should have been done and noted.

I wasn't totally disagreeing with you. I was just giving another point of view.
Michael Thompson

Postby RBarnes » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:31 am

Now this might actually be a case of trash falling off a car or truck but for the last 2 days when I've driven past the Bedford Rd Bridge I've seen a trash bag just laying there on the side of the road. With that being the PRIMARY path for the transfer station employees to travel to and from the site, how many days would it have to be before we could reasonably expect that bag to be picked up?

And here's another question... since most trash includes items with people's name and address does Merrimack ticket people who's trash they find dumped on lawns or left places it shouldn't be?
RBarnes

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:57 am

RBarnes wrote:Now this might actually be a case of trash falling off a car or truck but for the last 2 days when I've driven past the Bedford Rd Bridge I've seen a trash bag just laying there on the side of the road. With that being the PRIMARY path for the transfer station employees to travel to and from the site, how many days would it have to be before we could reasonably expect that bag to be picked up?

And here's another question... since most trash includes items with people's name and address does Merrimack ticket people who's trash they find dumped on lawns or left places it shouldn't be?

Rick, I don't feel that this is any one persons job. No matter if they work for the Transfer station or they don't. I feel a good citizen will pick it up to help better the community.
Michael Thompson

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling