Casella Waste Services

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Casella Waste Services

Postby Wayne » Mon May 16, 2011 8:03 pm

If you're in the market for a curbside pickup service, I'd like to put in a good word for Casella Waste Services. I've used them for 6 weeks now, and so far, so good. For $24.95 per month, they provide two large covered bins, one for trash and one for un-sorted recyclables. Pickup is biweekly, which some might not like, but that's not a problem for us. Each bin holds quite a lot.

Maybe it's because we've been doing a lot of spring cleaning, but so far our split between trash and recyclables is about 50 - 50. Their list of items that are recyclable is pretty long, and just tossing them all in the one big bin without any sorting is quite convenient. Much better then storing them all for weeks/months in the garage in preparation for the eventual trip to the recycling center at the TS. It shows that the non-recyclable portion of waste at the TS could be reduced quite a bit if more visitors took the time to separate their trash, but I think it's the extreme ease of use with Casella that supports the effectiveness.

Some of the negative mindset about curbside pickup in Merrimack has been that there's no one that picks up recyclables at the curb. Well I'm here to say yes, there is. Here's a link that will tell you a little about them: http://www.casella.com/towns/nh/merrimack/03054
Wayne

Re: Casella Waste Services

Postby davem » Fri May 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Ditto. We just switched to them and agree on all points. Bins do take up space in the garage but much easier with the recyclable items.
davem

Re: Casella Waste Services

Postby Wayne » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:09 pm

I have been extremely happy with Casella service and prices, but they have suddenly decided to pull out of a number of NH communities, including Merrimack. So now I'm looking for a new vendor for curbside pickup. Unfortunately what would be the most efficient vendor, the town, still isn't providing that service. (Come on, people, wise up!)

I know there are only a few choices, but I would like to hear from anyone that has had a favorite out of those. A priority is that the pickup includes recycling, as I have seen the high percentage of waste that can be recycled if you make the effort. It would be great to have vendor-supplied bins, but realize I may have to give that up.

Thanks in advance.

-Wayne
Wayne

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling