Core values, specific issues and no-brainers

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Core values, specific issues and no-brainers

Postby rowland » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:28 am

I've said before that we should choose an elected representative based on the core values upon which we will base his decisions rather than how well he panders to us on the more ephemeral sorts of specifics. I'm going to add a proviso to that.

There are some specific issues that are so clear cut that a person's core values logically dictate where he will stand on such an issue. They are no-brainers. There is no however to a no-brainer. Andy's issues page uses the word however an awful lot. It seems to be his favorite word. When he uses it on no-brainers that sets off alarm bells in my head.

A candidate who refuses to take a stand on a no-brainer is not to be trusted. He is trying to HIDE his core values or lack thereof. A no-brainer is a natural litmus test. A stand on a no-brainer reflects and reveals core values. A refusal to take a firm stand on a no-brainer is a conspicuous absence that needs explaining.

It's nice Andy takes a stand against that toll booth unfairness especially since he wouldn't stand a chance at the polls if he didn't. But what about the OTHER no-brainers? Why can't he simply say no broad based tax? Why he can't he favor a spending cap or at least a cap on bonded debt? These are NOT subtle issues, they are no-brainers.

To claim that a no-brainer is a subtle issue requiring careful consideration is an insult to our intelligence. I expect RD to insult our intelligence but as long as he's not running for office in my state I don't much care what RD thinks of my intelligence. But Andy Sylvia is running for office so when he tries to feed us this kind of flimflam that's a matter of concern.
Last edited by rowland on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
rowland

Re: Core values, sepcific issues and no-brainers

Postby Norman Phillips » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:42 am

Rowland writes as follows: QUOTE
Why he can't he favor a spending cap or at least a cap on bonded debt? These are NOT subtle issues, they are no-brainers. UNQUOTE

If you are referring to spending caps or caps on bonded debt for TOWNS, I believe that it is your position that is unfounded. The decision to accept a budget or a bond proposal is decided by a vote of the townspeople each time a new budget or a new bond proposal is brought forward. Why should a town tie the hands of a later town vote?
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby RD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:44 am

Hey rowland, is Andy going to be on your ballot over in Fremont?

Also, I, personally, would not vote for a "no-brainer." I like to vote for thoughtful candidates who will carefully consider specific issues.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:44 am

rowland wrote:I've said before that we should choose an elected representative based on the core values upon which we will base his decisions rather than how well he panders to us on the more ephemeral sorts of specifics. I'm going to add a proviso to that.

There are some specific issues that are so clear cut that a person's core values logically dictate where he will stand on such an issue. They are no-brainers. There is no however to a no-brainer. Andy's issues page uses the word however an awful lot. It seems to be his favorite word. When he uses it on no-brainers that sets off alarm bells in my head.

A candidate who refuses to take a stand on a no-brainer is not to be trusted. He is trying to HIDE his core values or lack thereof. A no-brainer is a natural litmus test. A stand on a no-brainer reflects and reveals core values. A refusal to take a firm stand on a no-brainer is a conspicuous absence that needs explaining.

It's nice Andy takes a stand against that toll booth unfairness especially since he wouldn't stand a chance at the polls if he didn't. But what about the OTHER no-brainers? Why can't he simply say no broad based tax? Why he can't he favor a spending cap or at least a cap on bonded debt? These are NOT subtle issues, they are no-brainers.

To claim that a no-brainer is a subtle issue requiring careful consideration is an insult to our intelligence. I expect RD to insult our intelligence but as long as he's not running for office in my state I don't much care what RD thinks of my intelligence. But Andy Sylvia is running for office so when he tries to feed us this kind of flimflam that's a matter of concern.

One of the most cerebral posts I have seen. Well done.

Andy, I agree you need to take a stand on the issues if you are to get my vote!
platypusman

Postby RD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:49 am

I'll bet you have no clue how utterly hilarious you are in referring to a post that talks about "no-brainers" as "cerebral." :lol:
Last edited by RD on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Re: Core values, specific issues and no-brainers

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:51 am

RD

I'll bet you have no clue how utterly hilarious you are in referring to a post that talks about "no-brainers" as "cerebral

Talk about having no clue. :shock:
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Tie their hands!

Postby rowland » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:57 am

Norman Phillips wrote:If you are referring to spending caps or caps on bonded debt for TOWNS, I believe that it is your position that is unfounded. The decision to accept a budget or a bond proposal is decided by a vote of the townspeople each time a new budget or a new bond proposal is brought forward. Why should a town tie the hands of a later town vote?

No I was referring to state level. But the same logic applies to towns.

The whole point of a constitution is to prevent legislators from doing evil or stupid things. If they see that as tying their hands then maybe their hands SHOULD be tied.

As long as you're throwing scare rhetoric around I'm going to go ahead and trigger Godwin's law. If the Weimar Republic had tied the hands of its elected officials a bit better Hitler would have been voted out after his first term was up, assuming he wasn't impeached sooner than that.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
rowland

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:14 am

RD wrote:I'll bet you have no clue how utterly hilarious you are in referring to a post that talks about "no-brainers" as "cerebral." :lol:

RD there are issues one could resolve easily or in the vernacular, they are 'no brainers'!

Cutting spending at the state level is one such area where common sense should prevail. Take the HHS budget, we need cuts and someone like you should tell Andy where the fat is.

My examination of http://admin.state.nh.us/budget/ExecutiveSummary.pdf shows untenable growth!
platypusman

Postby Andy Sylvia » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Chris,

Thanks for posting that link, that .pdf was very informative, and once again I apologize for falling behind in regards to the HB1 project I began last week on here with you all.

I can go to HHS next if you'd like to ask you all what is fat and what is muscle.

Rowland,

Thank you for your question. Although RD is right and you are not in our district, and therefore I would not have a fiduciary responsibility to you in the position I am running for, your insights have been invaluable in regards to the discussion here, if not a tab bit overly abrasive.

However, you are incorrect in regards to your assessment. My core values are on my website, under the issues section. I have said this before, and I can continue to say it if you so desire. If you disagree, that's your right, but you're incorrect.

And in regards to why toll booths are a much bigger issue than state spending, i've said this answer before, but I can say it again: toll booths are a much bigger issue than spending to the average Merrimack voter, and i've been talking to alot of them. Hopefully the DW Diner idea that Jeannine proposed will work, it'll be interesting to see if those values change in groups versus one on ones at doors.

Thank you for your trust, i've enjoyed your comments here on the forum, especially considering that you've taken your focus all the way over here from the seacoast.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Andy

Although RD is right and you are not in our district, and therefore I would not have a fiduciary responsibility to you in the position I am running for, your insights have been invaluable in regards to the discussion here, if not a tab bit overly abrasive.

Rd isn't in your district either by the way. I find the fact that he has the audacity to bring this up about rowland shows how out of touch he is with reality. Rd shouldn't have any input on our local candidates if he's trying to prevent others from having their say.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby TCF » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:21 pm

I see from your website you are in favor of cap and trade. That alone should scare anyone away from voting for you.
Do you even have a clue of how bad this is for the country, let alone the state.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby RD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:50 pm

TCF wrote:I see from your website you are in favor of cap and trade. That alone should scare anyone away from voting for you.

Why?
RD

Postby TCF » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Wall Street Journal: "The US is fighting the clock as the earth warms to dangerous levels, Sen. John McCain says in a speech in environmentally conscious Oregon. Reaching out to independent and moderate voters, he repeats his call for a cap-and-trade system whereby carbon-emitting companies would have to reduce emissions or pay for credits that allow them." This is almost a dead ringer for one of the first tax increases that Bill Clinton proposed in 1993. Remember the famous carbon tax? That's what it was called and it was basically a cap-in-trade program.

The way it works is some government entity is going to decide what the carbon footprint of each business can be, and that business can meet those limits or trade those limits with another company that's not going to use all of its limits, or it can buy them, or it can pay a tax to exceed the limits. It's a tax increase! By the time you slice it all up, it's a tax increase that corporations are going to end up passing on all down the line, eventually reaching consumers. To say that the US is fighting the clock as the earth warms to dangerous levels, is absurd. The earth hasn't warmed since 1998. Even global warming scientists put out a warning that because of natural variations in ocean currents there will be no warming for another ten to 12 years, So there's no warming predicted for the next ten to 12 years. How in the world can it be said that we're on the clock. All of this is just nuts.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Re: Tie their hands!

Postby Norman Phillips » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:01 pm

rowland wrote:
Norman Phillips wrote:If you are referring to spending caps or caps on bonded debt for TOWNS, I believe that it is your position that is unfounded. The decision to accept a budget or a bond proposal is decided by a vote of the townspeople each time a new budget or a new bond proposal is brought forward. Why should a town tie the hands of a later town vote?

No I was referring to state level. But the same logic applies to towns.

The whole point of a constitution is to prevent legislators from doing evil or stupid things. If they see that as tying their hands then maybe their hands SHOULD be tied.

There is a difference. In the case of a town, if the voters approve a budget or bond issue, it is with the complete realization that it is THEY who will be paying the increased cost. There are no intermediaries, no reps, aldermen, etc. It is the people who decide and it is THEY who must pay the increased assessment.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Ken Coleman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:59 am

Andy,

Please don't waste your time here. Not one of these "people"who want to "learn"more about you would ever vote for you in a million years! Go find people who truly have not made up their minds and have honest questions about you and your positions.

Ken Coleman
Ken Coleman

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results” Ben Franklin
Ken Coleman

Next

Return to State Politics