Beware the shifty candidates.

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Beware the shifty candidates.

Postby rowland » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:25 pm

The Rowland theorems:

1. Any state Rep candidate who won't give a straight answer on a state broad based tax is NOT to be trusted.

2. Any state Rep candidate who neither knows nor cares to know what is going on in Concord is NOT to be trusted.

3. Any state Rep candidate who meets with RD's tacit approval is NOT to be trusted.

4. Any politician of any type who gets defensive and blustery when questioned closely is NOT to be trusted.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
rowland

Re: Beware the shifty candidates.

Postby platypusman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:30 pm

rowland wrote:The Rowland theorems:

1. Any state Rep candidate who won't give a straight answer on a state broad based tax is NOT to be trusted.

2. Any state Rep candidate who neither knows nor cares to know what is going on in Concord is NOT to be trusted.

3. Any state Rep candidate who meets with RD's tacit approval is NOT to be trusted.

4. Any politician of any type who gets defensive and blustery when questioned closely is NOT to be trusted.

1. Yes.

2. Goes without saying.

3. Yes.

4. Yes indeed!
platypusman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:40 pm

rowland

ditto
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Andy Sylvia » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 pm

rowland wrote:The Rowland theorems:

Hi Rowland, once again I thank you for your time and effort to post on our blog out from your place over on the seacoast.

While I don't agree with you on #3, I agree with you on the other three and i'm glad you brought them up.

I apologize if you've taken my politeness as defensiveness, I could be more rude to you if that would make you feel more comfortable.

But fortunately, I do know just as much if not more about what's going on in Concord since i've established relationships with literally hundreds of state reps across the state and i've given my platform on taxes and spending many times here on the forum.

It's unfortunate that all the other candidates so far have decided not to talk with voters online it seems, like i've taken the time out to do here. I may be wrong, but I have seen no other candidates on the forum for state office so far. I can't promise that i'll have the time to continue to do so, but i'll try my best and i'm honored by your attention.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:18 pm

Andy

I apologize if you've taken my politeness as defensiveness, I could be more rude to you if that would make you feel more comfortable.

These passive aggressive comments will only serve to piss off people. Either come right out say what you really fel or say nothing. And I wouldn't listen to anything RD tells you about running for office. He's as far to the left as they come. Far left doesn't win elections.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby rowland » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:22 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Andy

These passive aggressive comments will only serve to piss off people. Either come right out say what you really fel or say nothing. And I wouldn't listen to anything RD tells you about running for office. He's as far to the left as they come. Far left doesn't win elections.

Speaking for myself I've never taken Andy's politeness as defensiveness nor have I ever taken his defensiveness for politeness. When he's defensive he's not at all polite.

Since he's running for office he no longer has the option of saying nothing. He needs to come clean, period. Impolitely if need be.
Typical White Person
rowland

Postby Andy Sylvia » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:31 pm

rowland wrote:

Speaking for myself I've never taken Andy's politeness as defensiveness nor have I ever taken his defensiveness for politeness. When he's defensive he's not at all polite.

Since he's running for office he no longer has the option of saying nothing. He needs to come clean, period. Impolitely if need be.

I've been saying things here for the past several weeks, it's unfortunate that you do not want to listen to anyone other than yourself and you don't understand what politeness is apparently, especially since no other state level candidates have posted here at all.

Irregardless, I continue to thank you for your interest in our community from all the way over on the seacoast.

Also, just wanted to give you a quick heads up, i'll write more about it in a bit, but Peter Bearse's signs across the way from Zyla's will have to come down, either by his volunteers like you, or by the Merrimack Department of Public Works.

I just got back from taking down all my signs on town rights of way.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Andy Sylvia » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Jeannine,

I listen to the far left and the far right as long as they listen to me. That's #3 of #3 on my promises list.

And I don't agree with your assessment in regards to pissing off people. I'm not pissing off anybody and I am saying what I feel. If there is someone who I am pissing off, please let me know and i'd be glad to talk to them in person and see if we can understand each other.

The internet is a nasty place, I take anything said on it by anyone, especially those who don't reveal their name, or from outside of Merrimack in regards to this website, with a very large grain of salt. They have the right to be anonymous, just as I have the right not to take them seriously until they establish that they are an actual real world person.

You have done both, and that is why I listen to you, just as why I listen to Rick D'Alarcao, or RD for short.
Andy Sylvia

Postby rowland » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Andy Sylvia wrote:I listen to the far left and the far right as long as they listen to me. That's #3 of #3 on my promises list.

Listening is all fine and dandy but a dialogue needs to go both ways. And your refusal to give straight answers means that you are NOT participating in a dialogue with the voters.

The closer I try to listen to you the less you seem to be saying.
Typical White Person
rowland

Postby platypusman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:45 pm

rowland wrote:
Andy Sylvia wrote:I listen to the far left and the far right as long as they listen to me. That's #3 of #3 on my promises list.

Listening is all fine and dandy but a dialogue needs to go both ways. And your refusal to give straight answers means that you are NOT participating in a dialogue with the voters.

I am giving Andy the benefit of the doubt for a moment because he said he answered the question on broadbase taxes. Can anyone please point me to his answer.
platypusman

Postby Andy Sylvia » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:51 pm

rowland wrote:

No offense, but you're not a Merrimack voter, Rowland. I'm participating in a dialogue with you because you cheer me up, particularly when you get angry like this, not because your of your opinion. If i'm ever running for something that includes the district of wherever you may live, then I will be glad to listen as long as you show me the same respect that you would expect for yourself, which you have not been doing lately.

Quite frankly, I probably shouldn't be engaging you because you are diverting my attention from Merrimack voters. Talking to you is just one of my vices to help relax me, and I want to warn you now that it will become tougher and tougher to do as we get closer to election day.

I put up my answer to the question you've continued to ask again and again in the toll booth thread. For some reason someone asked a question about spending there.

I also want to apologize to Mike Thompson, I completely misunderstood what he asked in regards to creating one thread with a week's worth of articles on it, i'll do that from here on. Bulletin Boards are different than blogs, and I should have recognized that from the start.
Andy Sylvia

Postby rowland » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:15 pm

platypusman wrote:I am giving Andy the benefit of the doubt for a moment because he said he answered the question on broadbase taxes. Can anyone please point me to his answer.

I think he's trying to pass off THIS as an answer:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5230&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p91343

And it DOES sort of answer the question if you read between the lines.
Typical White Person
rowland

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:16 pm

rowland wrote:
platypusman wrote:I am giving Andy the benefit of the doubt for a moment because he said he answered the question on broadbase taxes. Can anyone please point me to his answer.

I think he's trying to pass off THIS as an answer:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5230&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p91343

And it DOES sort of answer the question if you read between the lines.

In the end above all else what I believe above all else is that the people themselves should be the primary deciding factor. If a consensus of Merrimackers want an Income Tax, as their Representative, it would be my obligation to vote for one. Likewise if a consensus of Merrimackers don't want an Income Tax, I'll vote against it.

If this is Andy's answer then why do we need him and what value does he bring to the town?

Instead of electing someone why not just have a web site where town's people vote. Upon the completion of the vote, the results would be transmitted to Concord for amalgamation and then we have new policy. No need to elect anyone.

Is anyone else uncomfortable with candidates who refuse to state a definitive position?
platypusman

Postby andysinnh » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:29 pm

platypusman wrote:Is anyone else uncomfortable with candidates who refuse to state a definitive position?

My view on this is a bit different. Many times, a stated "definitive position" is a good thing to know when voting for a candidate, but what you DON'T know is whether there's any compromise in that position. Those who are extreme either to the "left" or "right" tend to not modify their position one bit, regardless of the situation at hand, and regardless of what the people they represent may see as appropriate at any point in time. And it's apparent from folks like Platy and Rowland that having someone who sticks to their guns, regardless, is a valuable thing. But on the other hand, there are a significant group of voters who want their representative to look at each issue with fresh eyes, and ask "WWMEWMTD" - "What would my electorate want me to do". many times, decisions on a specific vote may not always make sense if you vote straight on one's party lines - and there's a lot of people that want their representative to do the right thing based on each individual action item. In many terms, this is the stance of an "independent" candidate - and a strong one can many times obtain more support than someone to the extreme left or extreme right. The question is - are there enough who want this sort of person representing them - and that'll be the rub in the election.

Now, I will say that Andy does have some beliefs that do not necessarily represent the Democratic party, of which he's heavily involved locally - so I look forward to some of his ongoing "blog" entries to see how he clarifies his position- as someone truely "democratic", or someone more "independent", similar to Lieberman down in CT....

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Andy I believe there are certain core beliefs that one should not compromise on. Take a broad base tax; you’re either for it or against it. To take any other position is disingenuous. It is a proven fact, more revenue in the hands of government enables more spending for said government. There has never, in my understanding, been a case where instituting a broad base tax lead to a long term reduction in other taxes. Please show me a case if I am incorrect.

Take our neighbors to the south, property taxes in Massachusetts continue to rise even when state coffers were being filled to the ‘brim’ during boom economies. Taxes just don’t go down!

So for Andy to refuse to take a position on broad base taxes is wrong. Voters have a right to ask and receive an definitive answer on a candidate's position on such major issues. I will keep asking Andy Sylvia everyday until he answers me.
platypusman

Return to State Politics