Should NH institute broad base taxes?

A: Yes
39%
B No
61%

Total votes : 18

Re: Poll:To help Andy

Postby Andy Sylvia » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:10 pm

platypusman wrote:Andy please forgive me, I still am unsure of your position on broad base revenue generation such as sales or income taxes for residents of New Hampshire. On the forum, you did not say definitively how you would vote if these issues required your commitment. Your web site indicates an ambiguous position.

Can you please tell us specifically what your position is?

Thanks.

Not a problem, but we'll have to agree to disagree in regards to ambiguity.

I don't want to see an Income Tax or a Sales Tax.

However this has become much harder, due in large part to the decrease in federal aid we've seen over the past 7 years, inflation continuing to go up, and many other factors, it's irresponsible to make any pledges against new taxes, the only way we can prevent them is by understanding the cost and value in regards to our state fiscal policies.

Or in essence: It's up to us if we don't want an Income or Sales Tax. Not politicians. If we want one, then it will happen.

I have to apologize to you that I have not been able to continue to make progress in regards to articles breaking down the budget, my schedule is overflowing right now, i'll try to catch up this weekend.

I also apologize in advance to you all, I can't promise either way, but I probably won't be able to reply as much, things are beginning to get more hectic as we get closer to the election.
Andy Sylvia

Postby rowland » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:17 pm

RD wrote:
platypusman wrote:Can you please tell us specifically what your position is?

If you want a specific answer, I'm guessing you'll have to ask a specific question. Asking a question as vague as how will you vote on broad based taxes is ridiculous.

My answer would be "I don't know, I'd have to see the specifics of the proposal."

There's nothing vague about it. The correct answer is: AGAINST.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
rowland

Postby RD » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:32 pm

rowland wrote:
RD wrote:
platypusman wrote:Can you please tell us specifically what your position is?

If you want a specific answer, I'm guessing you'll have to ask a specific question. Asking a question as vague as how will you vote on broad based taxes is ridiculous.

My answer would be "I don't know, I'd have to see the specifics of the proposal."

There's nothing vague about it. The correct answer is: AGAINST.

That, my friend, is one closed mind.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby RBarnes » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Andy Sylvia wrote:the only way we can prevent them is by understanding the cost and value in regards to our state fiscal policies.

There is one problem we face, most people don't understand the fiscal policies and/or budgets. To them the money in taxes is a huge black hole.

We saw this manifest itself on a local level when Jenn Tw. cut all that money off our town budget. People were generally concerned that we'd see massive impacts to police and fire. In reality though I doubt anyone in town outside of those who work for the town really noticed anything different after the money was cut.

When it comes to state and federal, multiple that black hole factor by 1000. People are concerned with school fund or roads but they have no clue what percent of what they pay goes to what. And if money were to be cut where it could be cut where they wouldn't see any difference.

That's why I liked what you were doing posting sections of the state budget for discussion and debate. It helps educate where the money goes and what if anything we should be pushing our state reps to cut.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby platypusman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Andy Sylvia wrote:
platypusman wrote:Andy please forgive me, I still am unsure of your position on broad base revenue generation such as sales or income taxes for residents of New Hampshire. On the forum, you did not say definitively how you would vote if these issues required your commitment. Your web site indicates an ambiguous position.

Can you please tell us specifically what your position is?

Thanks.

Not a problem, but we'll have to agree to disagree in regards to ambiguity.

I don't want to see an Income Tax or a Sales Tax.

However this has become much harder, due in large part to the decrease in federal aid we've seen over the past 7 years, inflation continuing to go up, and many other factors, it's irresponsible to make any pledges against new taxes, the only way we can prevent them is by understanding the cost and value in regards to our state fiscal policies.

Or in essence: It's up to us if we don't want an Income or Sales Tax. Not politicians. If we want one, then it will happen.

I have to apologize to you that I have not been able to continue to make progress in regards to articles breaking down the budget, my schedule is overflowing right now, i'll try to catch up this weekend.

I also apologize in advance to you all, I can't promise either way, but I probably won't be able to reply as much, things are beginning to get more hectic as we get closer to the election.

Andy thanks for taking the time to respond.

The elephant in the room that needs attention is the run-away state spending. 17% increase in the last budget is out of line. Before any inceases in taxes be considered, the budget needs close examination for areas to cut. I suspect much fat exists that could be eliminated without significant efforts.
platypusman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Andy

What ever happened to governments tightening their belts just like the taxpayers have to during tougher economic times? I want to know why we can't "go without" once in awhile?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Previous

Return to State Politics