Should NH institute broad base taxes?

A: Yes
39%
B No
61%

Total votes : 18

Poll:To help Andy

Postby platypusman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Andy this may help you understand the opinion of some Merrimack voters regarding taxes.
platypusman

Re: Poll:To help Andy

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks Chris,

But very few people in town actually read this forum, no offense to Nat. Heck, look at the people who post here. It's the same people over and over again for the most part.

And as far as there are anons, I would not be surprised if you/they created several more accounts to jack up the poll numbers.

However, why not use this thread instead of for the poll at the top for having people put down their real names and addresses, just as they would at a deliberative session, to put down their comments?

This is an excellent idea, and I thank you for taking the initiative here, you were almost there when it came to implimentation.
Andy Sylvia

Postby RBarnes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:31 am

platypusman wrote:Andy this may help you understand the opinion of some Merrimack voters regarding taxes.

Plat, just so I and others know what we'd be voting one way or the other on can you explain what a broad based tax is?

Personally I would LOVE to see us ditch the property tax in favor for a state wide flat tax, that way EVERYONE would pay the same regardless if they own a huge house or if they live in a condo. We can also allow exceptions for elderly etc similar to what we have now as well.

After all why should someone earning $100,000+ living in a small condo pay less then a struggling family of four earning say $50,000 living in an average house? Or say an older couple who originally bought their home for $50,000 but it just happened to be in a good area and now the value has sky rocketed to $500,000?

I'm not saying income tax is the way to go but rather a flat tax paid per head.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby platypusman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:39 am

Rbarnes broad based taxes to me are those based on ones income or on the gross receipt from a sale of a good and or service which the consumer would pay.

I would rather not have any additional tax burden and instead, look at better controlling state and local spending.
platypusman

Postby Michael Thompson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:17 am

I'm against a broadbase tax such as income tax based on the current presentations of the supporters.

I may be open it there was some way to gaurantee the shift from Property Tax to Income or some other form. However right now that would not happen and it would likely increase the state spending.

So a possible solution, (rough around the edges) could be that if the state is getting X in property tax and they get Y in income tax they would have to take x-y to present the current property tax and then establish guidelines for the max increase in property tax per year allowed. Maybe no more the CPI or another leading index.

Anybody now what the figures on what percent would be needed in Income Tax to eliminate the Property Tax?
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby RBarnes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 am

platypusman wrote:Rbarnes broad based taxes to me are those based on ones income or on the gross receipt from a sale of a good and or service which the consumer would pay.

Ah got it, thanks for the explanation.

platypusman wrote:I would rather not have any additional tax burden and instead, look at better controlling state and local spending.

Any additional tax is bad as multiple taxes help mask the full amount of what you pay. People don't add it up when they pay a little here and a little there but they see it when they pay one single tax. That's what helps keep people on their toes and fight uncontrolled government spending.

As for where to look I think there are multiple places we should look. Yes controlling spending is very necessary but not the necessary thing that needs to be done. Making sure that the taxes collected are collected efficiently and (I cringe when I say this but...) fairly.

For instance I think we can all agree the tolls are both inefficient and unfair. They do not equally tax everyone, placing a larger burden on one particular demographic (Merrimack residents) and they are extremely inefficient with between 1/3 and 1/2 of all the money collected going back to just run the toll booths themselves.

When only half the money collected goes toward running the state and the other half goes toward running the method of collecting the taxes then something is clearly wrong there. Collecting in a more effective way would allow the money that is collected to go much further.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby lynn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:56 am

how about
since the Claremont decision said the state is responsible for funding schools
you enact a statewide sales tax to fund schools entirely
and the local property tax goes to fund town/city government but not the schools
lynn

Postby Wizard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:20 am

I would be in favor of nominal state sales tax, but only if there were a gurantee that it would reduce the tax burden on the property owners.
Wizard

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:35 am

Lynn

how about
and the local property tax goes to fund town/city government but not the schools

That's a pretty good idea.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RD » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:46 am

lynn wrote:how about

I like this idea, and would also consider an income tax instead of a sales tax. But it would have to come with the guarantee of a reduction in property taxes.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:50 am

RD

Why an income tax? A sales tax is the fairest one because everybody pays - not just people who earn a paycheck.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:44 pm

As I already said, I would much rather have one single tax. Once you open the door to a sales tax and a property tax then you begin allowing the government to mask how much it's really taking from you and for that matter how much it's spending.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby rowland » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:11 pm

Wizard wrote:I would be in favor of nominal state sales tax, but only if there were a gurantee that it would reduce the tax burden on the property owners.

There can be no such guarantee. The advocates of this tax have no intention of lowering other taxes.

http://www.nhcitizen.org/modules/content/index.php?id=7

Talk to anyone who has lived in New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont or Maine, only four of the states that have enacted an income tax to replace property taxes in the latter part of the 20th century. In every one of those states, property taxes returned to their previous levels in less than five years. Three of those four are now in the top 5 states in property tax ranking IN ADDITION TO HAVING AN INCOME TAX.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
rowland

Postby platypusman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:19 am

Andy please forgive me, I still am unsure of your position on broad base revenue generation such as sales or income taxes for residents of New Hampshire. On the forum, you did not say definitively how you would vote if these issues required your commitment. Your web site indicates an ambiguous position.

Can you please tell us specifically what your position is?

Thanks.
platypusman

Postby RD » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:49 am

platypusman wrote:Can you please tell us specifically what your position is?

If you want a specific answer, I'm guessing you'll have to ask a specific question. Asking a question as vague as how will you vote on broad based taxes is ridiculous.

My answer would be "I don't know, I'd have to see the specifics of the proposal."
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Next

Return to State Politics