Toll Booths

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Toll Booths

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:29 am

platypusman wrote:Andy have you asked the question to voters directly as to if their property taxes are too high?

I am growing concerned with your methodology for determining your positions on issues of the day. If you just walk around, chances are you will not find out what is on peoples' minds. You need to have a vision for what impact you would have as a state rep. Right now, it seems you are conducting an unscientific popularity contest.

People want know where does Andy Sylvia stands on:

1- The recent 17% increase in state spending?
2- The need for broad base taxes?
3- The recent authorization of $80M in new borrowing?

Do you have your own position on these issues?

Platy, did you do a scientific survey to find out that this is what people are wanting to know were Andy stands?

They are very good points however there are more then the three that are listed above.

How about were he stands on school vouchers, balanced budget and many others.

I think it is great that Andy is getting out and speaking with people. If he continues to speak with people he will have a scientific study to narrow in on the top issues and be able to bring them forward.

As someone has tried to paint Andy into a corner stating that Broad Based tax is a yes or no answer, I personally feel it is a maybe. More of a if this then remove that, then a no, no, no, no attitude.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:46 am

Michael Thompson I ask you why would I do a survey, I am not running for office but attempting to ascertain Andy Sylvia's position on several important issues. You indeed brought up more questions that so far, remain unanswered by Andy. Looking at his web site I cannot see a definitive statement as to where Andy stands on state spending levels, broad-based taxes etc.

How can one cast an informed vote if one does not know definatively where a candidate stands on important issues.

I believe if one places their name in contention for public office they should tell voters clearly where they stand on issues.

I am missing something with respect to Andy’s positions?
platypusman

Postby RD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:25 am

platypusman wrote:2- The need for broad base taxes?

So you're saying there is a need for broad base taxes in New Hampshire?
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 am

platypusman wrote:Michael Thompson I ask you why would I do a survey...

The way you presented the "people want to know" sounds like you have either talked to others or did your own scientific survey. It seems more like you would like to know and you feel there are others.

I really don't disagree regarding wanting to know where Andy stands.

If I was Andy I would have my views and then go out and meet with others to find out what their issues are and how they view they could be changed.

Example: Property Taxes, if Andy sees them as an issue then he may have ideas on how to possibly correct them. If he goes out and finds that 2 out of the 5 solutions he has aren't favored by the population he could focus on the other three. Please note that I'm not saying going out and finding out what people want and then have that be your stance.

I would think by early September, this being a local and not national election he should provide a solid (doesn't mean you or me agree about it) platform.
Last edited by Michael Thompson on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:02 am

Agreed, I hope Andy comes out with very definitive position on issues.
platypusman

Postby Andy Sylvia » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Michael Thompson wrote:
platypusman wrote:Michael Thompson I ask you why would I do a survey...

The way you presented the "people want to know" sounds like you have either talked to others or did your own scientific survey. It seems more like you would like to know and you feel there are others.

I really don't disagree regarding wanting to know where Andy stands.

If I was Andy I would have my views and then go out and meet with others to find out what their issues are and how they view they could be changed.

Example: Property Taxes, if Andy sees them as an issue then he may have ideas on how to possibly correct them. If he goes out and finds that 2 out of the 5 solutions he has aren't favored by the population he could focus on the other three. Please note that I'm not saying going out and finding out what people want and then have that be your stance.

I would think by early September, this being a local and not national election he should provide a solid (doesn't mean you or me agree about it) platform.

Mike, thanks for your comments.

It's unfortunate that the forces of shrouded cynicism have descended upon the forum and have clouded the discussion here, as they have in the past, poisoning things for alot of otherwise concerned citizens. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough before, let me reiterate what i've said before.

In the end above all else what I believe above all else is that the people themselves should be the primary deciding factor. If a consensus of Merrimackers want an Income Tax, as their Representative, it would be my obligation to vote for one. Likewise if a consensus of Merrimackers don't want an Income Tax, I'll vote against it.

That's the same on any issue, and I will go out of my way to find out what they think, as I am doing now. I have seen the vast majority of people feel disenfranchised from their own government, and that is not acceptable if we are ever to truly fix any problem our society faces.

Personally though, I don't want to see an Income Tax or a Sales Tax. I don't know if it will be feasible to avoid one, as we have lost over 3 billion dollars in federal funding since 2000 due to the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1%, and there is no clear consensus as to where to cut services to make up for that shortfall or gaining new sources of revenue.
Andy Sylvia

Postby rowland » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Andy Sylvia wrote:In the end above all else what I believe above all else is that the people themselves should be the primary deciding factor. If a consensus of Merrimackers want an Income Tax, as their Representative, it would be my obligation to vote for one. Likewise if a consensus of Merrimackers don't want an Income Tax, I'll vote against it.

If only you could leave it at this. But no, you have to take it all back with...

I don't know if it will be feasible to avoid one, as we have lost over 3 billion dollars in federal funding since 2000 due to the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1%, and there is no clear consensus as to where to cut services to make up for that shortfall or gaining new sources of revenue.

Weasel. You're already passing the blame and making your best excuses to vote FOR a broad based tax. They're flimsy excuses but they're the best you can do.

Once we get all the tax and spenders out there WILL BE a consensus on where to cut. What we really lack now is a consensus on WHETHER to cut. Judging from the above quote I don't think Mr. Sylvia has much to contribute to the cause of fiscal responsibility at the state level.

All the tax and spend Democrats in this state hide behind the same rhetoric he's throwing at us here. Except the rest of them wait until they're in office before deploying this smoke screen.

You don't like our cynicism Mr. Sylvia? It's talk like yours that made us cynical in the first place.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
rowland

Postby Andy Sylvia » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm

rowland wrote:
Weasel.

Considering your image, I consider that a compliment :)

If you don't want to accept the facts, you're entitled to your opinion. I can post the links again in regards to this if you'd like.
Andy Sylvia

Previous

Return to State Politics