92 Days, 3 Hours and 30 Minutes To Go: Empty Supermarkets, L

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

92 Days, 3 Hours and 30 Minutes To Go: Empty Supermarkets, L

Postby Andy Sylvia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:12 pm

This story has two points for the price of one.

I was walking down a street in Merrimack and saw the inhabitants of one of that street's houses on their driveway: a teenage girl and an elderly woman each with a lemonade and an elderly man with a beer.

It was a beautiful day, so I decided to walk on up and say hello even though they weren't on the list.

At first they thought I was a salesman, but I quickly let them know I wasn't selling anything or asking for any money, that I was only a local guy running for office and wanted to let them know about myself. The elderly couple each took one of my brochures, and I thanked them and started to walk away.

By about the time I reached the end of the driveway, the elderly woman yelled to me "Hey, Andrew, come back here for a second!"

She liked the fact that I had lived here all my life. Then we started to talk about our town, and she started to talk about how nobody in town seemed to mow their lawns anymore.

I can understand her statement to a point, but there is a vast variation in terms of the status of lawns here in Merrimack. Some houses in town probably have thousands of dollars spent on them every year, some houses in town need machetes and various inoculations to be navigated through.

I don't think that's what she was getting at though. What I think she was trying to get to the heart of was our towns' past in regards to not liking to invest in itself.

For just about my entire life, a warrant article was on the ballot every year to get a new library. While I don't have the statistics, I'd have to assume that our town's library is the smallest in the state if you go by square footage per capita.

I'd estimate that Berlin's library is about the same size as ours, even though our town around three times as many people. Keene has slightly fewer people than we do and i'd be willing to guess that its library is five to ten times larger.

Yet each year, the article for a new library fails. In 2006, not only did the article fail, but an article to empty out the capital reserve fund for building a new library was emptied for tax relief.

So, while I can understand the people who disagreed with this woman (she was a registered Republican I later found out) in regards to a fair tax burden on our taxpayers, but I definitely understand where she's coming from in that we do not invest in ourselves as a town nearly enough.

She then went on to talk about the proposed mall and asked why we were building it when the Old Shaw's Plaza had been empty for years and the Commons shopping plaza had been empty for years until it began to finally began to fill up a year or two ago.

I don't believe that we should tell businesses and industries how to run their operations, and I don't believe that we should invest wastefully (the library is worth an article on its own), but in the end, if we do invest in ourselves as a town, and for that matter, as a state, not only will it be easier for us to find tenants for places like the Old Shaw's Plaza and what we had with the Commons, but attract new businesses and industries to Merrimack that will recoup any investments we make.

Like the old lady with the lemonade might say, we need to make sure we start mowing our lawns.
Andy Sylvia

Re: 92 Days, 3 Hours and 30 Minutes To Go: Empty Supermarkets, L

Postby RBarnes » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:46 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:Then we started to talk about our town, and she started to talk about how nobody in town seemed to mow their lawns anymore.

That's because we have to take a loan out just to fill the gas tank.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Michael Thompson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:24 am

Andy,

Just a suggestion, you should set up a blog of your actions instead of adding more and more threads here. You can then point people to your blog which will allow for easier access to the information and sorting abilities. You can also refernce your site on the blog and vice versa. Just an idea, I have nothing against the way you are doing it. I'm just a little turned off by the 99,98,97,96,95,94,94,94,94,94,93,92,92 and 3hours.

Good luck!!

Mike
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby Andy Sylvia » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 am

Michael Thompson wrote:Andy,

Just a suggestion, you should set up a blog of your actions instead of adding more and more threads here. You can then point people to your blog which will allow for easier access to the information and sorting abilities. You can also refernce your site on the blog and vice versa. Just an idea, I have nothing against the way you are doing it. I'm just a little turned off by the 99,98,97,96,95,94,94,94,94,94,93,92,92 and 3hours.

Good luck!!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I'm crossposting these at my own blog, the NH Young Dems blog, Blue Hampshire, and NH Insider. If there are any other sites you think I should cross post at, let me know.

I'll start a thread today and add new links in as needed, if that doesn't work, we'll figure something out.
Andy Sylvia

Postby rowland » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:38 pm

We need to start mowing our lawns?

Let's take that illustration and run with it.

What if you don't WANT a lawn? There are plenty of reasons not to want one. What if the sand truck dumps sand and salt every winter that washes down on your lawn and kills it? What if the terrain on your lot makes lawn mowing a chore? What if you would prefer shrubs and shade trees? All three apply to me. You want to me to have a nice lawn? Fine. YOU pay for it. From your own pocket not taxpayer money. Either YOU maintain it at your own personal expense or shut up about it. Leave it up to me and I'm getting rid of my front lawn entirely. Putting in some nice junipers, transplanting some hemlocks and letting the oak saplings grow.

If people want a neighborhood association they can buy a condo.

In this day of Internet access and big box bookstores the only libraries worth having are big university libraries or specialty libraries. Anything less will just have info you can get more easily online or at Borders. Why hang out on some mid size town library full of junk novels, out of date science books, moronic magazines and screaming kids? A little more money for more of all this junk won't make it any more worthwhile.

Some free LEXIS/NEXIS access would be nice plus some town historical documents, a handful of Web access stations and maybe a meeting room. The rest is just a waste of money. Anyway there's no need for a large building. Get rid of all those Danielle Steele hardcovers and back issues of Time and you'll have plenty of room in even a tiny library building.

How exactly would a nice shiny library bring in more retail businesses? I don't see the connect here. Lower taxes might do it but you don't lower taxes by raising spending.

There's something very nanny-state-ish about your implied attitude here. If the voters don't want a big fancy library then just accept it. It's their money. And if homeowners don't want a lawn then just accept it. It's their property.
Typical White Person
Documenting the fight for the New Hampshire way: http://nhcitizen.org/
rowland

Postby Andy Sylvia » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:42 pm

None of us live in isolation.

Rowland, even Brentwood or Kensington or wherever it is you live is connected to here in Merrimack.

One persons lawn and their neighbor's property is no different. A person can do whatever you want on your own property until they start negatively affecting other people's property.
Andy Sylvia

Postby platypusman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 am

I do not believe an Income or Sales Tax is the best way for us to go as a state and could not believe that unless there were a comprehensive lowering of some kind on all other taxes on an individual by individual basis. However, if the only method to pay for the services that the citizens of New Hampshire want is an Income or Sales tax, then I would be open to one.

Andy this position seems to be a bit ambiguous. With due respect, it seems you are not taking a stance one way or another. I would rather a candidate assume either a pro or con position on taxes. Have you considered being more definitive in your position in regards to this very important issue.
platypusman

Postby rowland » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:44 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:One persons lawn and their neighbor's property is no different. A person can do whatever you want on your own property until they start negatively affecting other people's property.

You haven't even begun to make a case that some people failing to have a lawn impacts the whole town 's economy negatively. You make an assertion like that in this country and you'd better be ready to back it up.

If you get elected and start making laws based on the attitude you express here you're going to catch a lot of flak. I bet a lot of people will rip out their lawns and put in that nasty purple gravel stuff and flamingo ornaments just as a protest. Or here's a better idea: astroturf and an arrangement of tacky plastic flowers that spells out HAPPY NOW SYLVIA?

Next you'll be telling us we all need to inflate our tires properly for the greater good.

Also let's have some straight talk on income tax. We all know a state income tax will NOT lower property taxes.
Typical White Person
rowland

Postby RD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 am

rowland wrote:If you get elected and start making laws based on the attitude you express here you're going to catch a lot of flak.

And you'll likely be stalked by people like old Neil here.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Wizard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 am

rowland wrote: “……nasty purple gravel stuff and flamingo ornaments….”

You mean it’s not cool to have flamingo ornaments in your yard? I’m in big trouble now.
Wizard

Postby rowland » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:32 am

RD wrote:
rowland wrote:If you get elected and start making laws based on the attitude you express here you're going to catch a lot of flak.

And you'll likely be stalked by people like old Neil here.

That's how it works these days. The citizen activists will watch your every move and pounce if you get too far out of line. That's the price of power in the 21st century. It's the new accountability. People like RD don't like it much but they need to get used to it.

Forget WMUR, the real political news is on YouTube.
Typical White Person
rowland

Postby Concerned » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:44 am

Finally,

A post from Platy that makes sense...

Andy doesn't believe that a sales or state income tax is the way to go without an offset to other taxes but would vote yes anyway to give citizens what they "want".

Platy is correct - which one is it? -

Sounds to me that if government suggests we can't offset existing taxes Andy will say OK and give us a sales tax, income tax, or both!

I say, VOTE NO NEW TAXES AND NO TO ANYONE THAT WOULD EVEN CONSIDER SUPPORTING THEM.

Fix government spending - act like a corporation. Citizens do not need to get everything they "want".
Concerned

Postby platypusman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:59 am

Concerned wrote:Finally,

Andy doesn't believe that a sales or state income tax is the way to go without an offset to other taxes but would vote yes anyway to give citizens what they "want".

Sounds to me that if government suggests we can't offset existing taxes Andy will say OK and give us a sales tax, income tax, or both!

I say, VOTE NO NEW TAXES AND NO TO ANYONE THAT WOULD EVEN CONSIDER SUPPORTING THEM.

Fix government spending - act like a corporation. Citizens do not need to get everything they "want".

Concerned I am happy you see this issue my way. However, if there is a post of mine that's inaccurate, please contact me day or night and I will examine your feedback and take appropriate action.

I just hope Mr. Sylvia gets off the fence and takes a position on taxes.
platypusman

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Rowland,

As long as your flamingoes or whatever else you do doesn't affect my property values for some reason, I don't really care what you do on your property. Just do me a favor and keep the noise down, you have a tendancy to be loud and obnoxious ;-)

Chris Ager,

My stand on taxes has been on my website for several months and it's no different than it was in 2006 or 2004. So far i've only talked to three people in Merrimack who see spending as a large issue at the state level, and all three are frequent contributors here, not people i've talked to while going door to door. And I talk to everybody when I go door to door, Republicans, Independents and Democrats.

If you know anyone who has a good story to share in regards to taxes or spending, please let me know, i'll talk to them and share with you all what they tell me.
Andy Sylvia

Postby platypusman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Concerned wrote:Finally,

I guess based on Andy Sylvia's last answer he will consider broadbased taxes. See post below.
platypusman

Next

Return to State Politics