Questions for Andy Sylvia

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Questions for Andy Sylvia

Postby platypusman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:23 am

Andy a few questions for you.

Based on information found on:

http://www.andysylvia.com

1. I believe that comprehensive healthcare, not just emergency services, should be affordable enough for all New Hampshire residents that want it.

How would this be funded?

2. We can turn New Hampshire into a world leader in cellulosic ethanol made from non-food supplies as well as other renewable, affordable, and low emission fuel sources. This, along with preserving the natural beauty of our state that is such an integral part of our character, should be the primary focuses of our environmental policies.

How would this be funded?

3. However, if the only method to pay for the services that the citizens of New Hampshire want is an Income or Sales tax, then I would be open to one.

What rate would you support for the income tax?

Thank you and I look forward to your response.
platypusman

Re: Questions for Andy Sylvia

Postby Andy Sylvia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:59 am

Chris,

I look forward to discussing these and many other issues with both Merrimack voters and interested out of towners such as your self from my journals of discussions I have with the voters of Merrimack and New Hampshire.

I welcome questions and discussions in regards to my journal of the voters' concerns in the slightly more than 90 days left until election day.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Ken Coleman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:59 am

Through a use tax based on number of postings on line.

Oh and BTW as we can not tell if Anon's are New Hampshire residents, they should pay a double tax for each post.

Ken Coleman :D
Ken Coleman

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results” Ben Franklin
Ken Coleman

Postby RBarnes » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:29 am

Ken Coleman wrote:Oh and BTW as we can not tell if Anon's are New Hampshire residents, they should pay a double tax for each post.

:lol: :lol:

Ok that's funny!!!

In looking at Andy's statement mentioned in #1:
1. I believe that comprehensive healthcare, not just emergency services, should be affordable enough for all New Hampshire residents that want it.

He isn't necessarily saying he wants to FUND healthcare only that it should be affordable. So Plat, I would restate your question in asking how will it be made affordable.

Andy's statement would fit perfectly in my view as well because I feel we should be looking to remove several of the roadblocks created by government that do nothing more then increase costs. Doing that would help make it more affordable to everyone but wouldn't require funding. Andy's statement here can be taken in ways other then "government funding" which your question implies.

Regarding #3, Andy and I had a very long exchange on taxes once. I doubt very much I could paraphrase his views here but I think you'd be shocked in that he and I actually found ourselves agreeing on several points... not everything mind you but we did agree on several points. Notice in his statement "only method", unlike some democrats, Andy isn't pushing for MORE taxes he's pushing looking at a new way to tax. He understands that if you have property AND income it helps hide the full amount people pay. That was one area he and I agreed.

I don't think its a bad idea to consider new ways to tax as long as you aren't looking at more taxes. Heck, even the NH Liberty Alliance has a discussion going on their forum regarding what the best method of taxation would be and if it would make sense to replace property tax with a better form of taxation.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby platypusman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:54 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:Chris,

I look forward to discussing these and many other issues with both Merrimack voters and interested out of towners such as your self from my journals of discussions I have with the voters of Merrimack and New Hampshire.

I welcome questions and discussions in regards to my journal of the voters' concerns in the slightly more than 90 days left until election day.

Andy I will be sure to check but as a favor, when you do detail a specific position, can you please post an announcement and link on this site?
platypusman

Return to State Politics