96 Days To Go: Regaining Hope

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: 96 Days To Go: Regaining Hope

Postby Andy Sylvia » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 am

This is certainly become an interesting conversation!

I've heard from people on the right and the left, particularly here in Merrimack, who have expressed this sense of hopelessness.

With the people on the right it usually has to do with money ("My taxes will never stay low, I feel like there's nothing I can do from keeping the government from taxing me out of my house")

With people on the left, the issues are much more diverse, but the same sentiment is there: "oh well, what can I do about it..."

That is the biggest thing we need to address. If we approach any problem rationally, and treat each other with respect whenever possible, we can understand the problems that face us as a society and solve them. But first, the average person on the street needs to believe that we do again.

If anyone disagrees with my assessment on the average person, please let me know what you find when you go out and talk to random people about politics. Most polls say that the country is on the right track, and if you asked those who say the country isn't on the right track, the feeling of hopelessness to affect things is probably going to be the biggest reason underlying why those people say they think the country is on the wrong track.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:02 am

Andy Sylvia

You just posted several paragraphs but said nothing. What is this hopelessness they speak of? High taxes - perhaps but the only hopelessness I see is that Congress needs term limits to stop this pandering for re-election but I have no idea how to go about getting term limits in place. I'm certain that most Americans would vote in favor of this. Don't you?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:59 am

With the people on the right it usually has to do with money ("My taxes will never stay low, I feel like there's nothing I can do from keeping the government from taxing me out of my house")

Andy I feel there is much we can do to lower taxes. Cut spending at all levels and vote out the tax and spend Democrats.
platypusman

Postby TCF » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:41 pm

No I have never worked at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen. I still want to know why homeless people live in New England.
If they started walking now, I am sure they could make it to Florida before the cold weather hits. But as far as homeless people go, I took in one for the past year and a half and let her live with me. Got her on SSI, medicaid, anti depresant and anxiety medication, into counseling, food stamps, and section 8 housing. Hopefully after all this she is on her way to becoming a productive member of society once again. Time will tell.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby Andy Sylvia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:29 pm

platypusman wrote: Cut spending at all levels .

You're in luck Chris Ager, I was discussing this with Rick the other day.

In my journal, i'm going to start discussions on the State Budget, line by line.

You can show us what you'd like to be cut rather than just talk about it in generalities!
Andy Sylvia

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:39 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:RD

Have you ever worked at a homeless shelter, or a soup kitchen, in, say, Manchester or Nashua?

Perhaps if you hear the stories of those less fortunate than you, you'll become a little less arrogant.

Oh hey, aren't you paid by taxpayer funds? Why don't you take your own advice instead of being a hypocrit and leeching off the rest of us?

Have you ever actually spent some of your own money on these homeless to buy them clothing or food? I have. Right now I am the payee for two disabled people (their own families can't bother) and spent 2 1/2 hours at the Social Security office in Manchester this week applying to be a payee for one of them because he had been living in the homeless shelter for the past three months. Do you have ANY idea how difficult getting there was for me with my medical problems? When I left the Social Security office I gave him $50 and a place to live to tide him over until his checks start coming in again in a week or two.

I have FIRST HAND experience with helping those less fortunate with my own money and time. The majority of homeless people are mentally ill or have an addiction problem which is why they're homeless because they're incapable of managing their affairs and should be under supervision. I believe the worst thing that happened was shutting down the homes for the mentally handicapped and that's why homelssness is such a big problem.

You're making yourself sound like Mother Teresa here! LOL! Why don't you tell the WHOLE story? Maybe people reading this post of yours would understand a bit better as to why you spend soooo much time keeping these particular people you helped away from you!?

I'm not saying you do this Jeannine; but don't you just hate people who twist the truth to make themselves look good to others? I sure do.
Sybil Spence Rocca

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:43 am

Sybil

You're making yourself sound like Mother Teresa here! LOL! Why don't you tell the WHOLE story? Maybe people reading this post of yours would understand a bit better as to why you spend soooo much time keeping these particular people you helped away from you!?

What are you talking about? The fact that they are mentally disabled? Quite frankly I am unsure why you have chosen to attack me on a public forum, but I think you should seek help because your entire outlook on life has somehow gone awry. What have you done for anyone other than yourself lately?
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:57 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Sybil

What are you talking about? The fact that they are mentally disabled? Quite frankly I am unsure why you have chosen to attack me on a public forum, but I think you should seek help because your entire outlook on life has somehow gone awry. What have you done for anyone other than yourself lately?

Ouch! That really hurt Jeannine! How about this: taking care of your own family members (which we are all suppose to do anyway) and volunteering to help others less fortunate ( total strangers) are two entirely different things - Right?

AND - While we are at it - Who has the time to spend all day, everyday, 7 days a week, posting on this forum or any other?

I haven't looked at this forum in five days and I can't believe the amount of time some of you devote to posting here! It's like you never leave to do anything else. Do you have people bring you food? Do you void in a wastepaper basket? Where do you sleep? Good Grief! :D
Sybil Spence Rocca

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:43 am

Sybil

I haven't looked at this forum in five days and I can't believe the amount of time some of you devote to posting here! It's like you never leave to do anything else. Do you have people bring you food? Do you void in a wastepaper basket? Where do you sleep? Good Grief!

Who cares what you think. I do more in one day than you've done in a year. Some of us are out in the world every day living life to our fullest abilities rather than becoming more and more bitter and reclusive with each passing day and feeling sorry for ourselves. Now please leave me alone.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Sybil

I haven't looked at this forum in five days and I can't believe the amount of time some of you devote to posting here! It's like you never leave to do anything else. Do you have people bring you food? Do you void in a wastepaper basket? Where do you sleep? Good Grief!

Who cares what you think. I do more in one day than you've done in a year. Some of us are out in the world every day living life to our fullest abilities rather than becoming more and more bitter and reclusive with each passing day and feeling sorry for ourselves. Now please leave me alone.

Many people care what I think Jeannine. I doubt that you do more than I do in a year, but I guess we could debate that until the cows come home.

I too don't think people should become more bitter and reclusive with each passing day - feeling sorry for themselves. What a terrible way to spend your life huh?

Leave you alone? Well, sometimes, I just can't help responding to your posts when you are pouncing on someone and telling them that their either stupid or whackos, or one of those other colorful terms you like to use.

If I happen to feel passionately about a topic and totally disagree with you, I will respond - Sorry. This forum is for everyone, not just for you and Platy. Although, from the # of posts you guys have compared to the rest, that's debatable.
Sybil Spence Rocca

Previous

Return to State Politics