97 Days: What's The Biggest Issue On The Minds Of Voters?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

97 Days: What's The Biggest Issue On The Minds Of Voters?

Postby Andy Sylvia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Never mind the polling, if you'd all like to know what truly is the biggest issue on the minds of voters, the best way to find out is to get out there and ask them yourselves.

This can be done pretty much anywhere in New Hampshire where there are people who are stationary and not engaging in a particular activity at that moment.

You can go to Market Square in Portsmouth, Railroad Square in Keene, Eagle Square in Concord. You can go to Mine Falls Park in Nashua, Victory Park in Manchester, or Androscoggin Wayside Park in Errol.

No matter where you go in New Hampshire, you're going to get the same results for the most part when it comes to the biggest issue on the minds of voters, and this goes for Merrimack too.

However, if you'd like to know what i've found in all those places, you'll have to read tomorrow's article! Until then my friends, it's 97 days and counting...
Andy Sylvia

Re: 97 Days: What's The Biggest Issue On The Minds Of Voters?

Postby platypusman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:11 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:Never mind the polling, if you'd all like to know what truly is the biggest issue on the minds of voters, the best way to find out is to get out there and ask them yourselves.

This can be done pretty much anywhere in New Hampshire where there are people who are stationary and not engaging in a particular activity at that moment.

You can go to Market Square in Portsmouth, Railroad Square in Keene, Eagle Square in Concord. You can go to Mine Falls Park in Nashua, Victory Park in Manchester, or Androscoggin Wayside Park in Errol.

No matter where you go in New Hampshire, you're going to get the same results for the most part when it comes to the biggest issue on the minds of voters, and this goes for Merrimack too.

However, if you'd like to know what i've found in all those places, you'll have to read tomorrow's article! Until then my friends, it's 97 days and counting...

Andy I think the issues are high taxes and the rate of spending growth by the State of New Hampshire. Where do you stand on these issues?
platypusman

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:28 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:Never mind the polling, if you'd all like to know what truly is the biggest issue on the minds of voters, the best way to find out is to get out there and ask them yourselves.

Andy, one thing to keep in mind is locations will yield different results.

For instance the crowd in a college town like Keene outside a popular college hang out would give a far different result as far as what is important to them then say the group hanging out at Murphy's tavern on a Tuesday night (majority free staters). This is why polls taken in inner cities show far different results then those taken in more rural areas (you may recall the Kerry bush county vote results map as a perfect example of this).

Tolls are another perfect example. Speak to someone in Merrimack and they'll say tolls are a key state issue. Speak to someone in Derry and they may not see tolls as a problem at all.

So be cautions in how you read results of talking to people. I'm not saying this is a bad idea or that you shouldn't listen to the people you're speaking with but keep in mind that location has a lot to do with results.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:12 pm

RBarnes wrote:

Andy, one thing to keep in mind is locations will yield different results.

For instance the crowd in a college town like Keene outside a popular college hang out would give a far different result as far as what is important to them then say the group hanging out at Murphy's tavern on a Tuesday night (majority free staters). This is why polls taken in inner cities show far different results then those taken in more rural areas (you may recall the Kerry bush county vote results map as a perfect example of this).

Tolls are another perfect example. Speak to someone in Merrimack and they'll say tolls are a key state issue. Speak to someone in Derry and they may not see tolls as a problem at all.

So be cautions in how you read results of talking to people. I'm not saying this is a bad idea or that you shouldn't listen to the people you're speaking with but keep in mind that location has a lot to do with results.

Thanks for the comment, Rick. I actually have asked this question at all of those places (even Errol, although I thought it was still Berlin, maybe I got the name wrong), as well as many others from both sides of the ideological spectrum and the answer has been near universal in different ways, and it's something you would not expect.

I crosspost my campaign journal on andrewsylvia.com, Blue Hampshire, NH Insider.com, The New Hampshire Young Democrats "Blue Spot" blog and here. If there are any other sites that would like these journals, conservative or liberal, let me know. I'll probably go to Daily Kos soon as well with these due to its high traffic.

I'll try to write today's article in the next hour or so.
Andy Sylvia

Return to State Politics