Merrimack Taxes vs. Neighbors

Beer Fridays (wine and mixed drinks allowed too)

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Much higher
No votes
Higher
50%
Comperable
50%
Lower
No votes

Total votes : 6

Postby M@ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:49 pm

I had this "argument" a year or so ago about how Merrimack's Taxes are "way out of line" with our neighbors, and I wasn't convinced. The only real evidence presented was a few properties.

So what's the consensus? Are we way out of line? I'm not arguing that our taxes are low, but I haven't found them to be extreme compared to neighboring towns.

M@
M@

Postby RD » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:32 pm

I think Merrimack is comparable to its neighbors. Tom Williams may be able to attest to this as well, but I've been looking at a lot of houses that are currently for sale in the greater Manchester area, and taxes appear to be pretty consistent, keeping asking price and lot size fairly constant, regardless of town.
RD

Postby RBarnes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:48 pm

M@, it depends on the town. I know people in Bedford and with the new school they just built their taxes have caught up to ours, although from the guy I compared rates with on Gate Girls ours are were still slightly higher.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Andy Sylvia » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Spelled comparable wrong.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Tom Williams » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:49 am

Here is some comparative data, collected from here:

Code: Select all
Town      2004   2005   2006
Bedford      15.74   15.44   16.34
Amherst      22.84   24.65   18.83
Nashua      19.85   16.32   17.20
Merrimack   22.36   23.07   17.46

In my opinion, the Merrimack rate for 2006 is partly an anomaly due to the effects of the library refund and return of other surpluses.

The part that is not anomolous is the equalization of assessments that occurred last year. Apparently Amherst did the same thing, as did Nashua in 2004. The small increase in Bedford taxes is due to the difference between the bonding costs for their new high school and the cost of high school tuition that they were paying to Manchester.

So I expect Merrimack taxes to go back up somewhat in 2007 when the refund effects have passed through the system. If they go up to, say, 20.00, then the annual taxes for a typical $350,000 house would be:

Amherst 6,590
Bedford 5,719
Nashua 6,020
Merrimack 7,000

Of course, if Merrrimack taxes go back up to where they were before, the same house would be paying $8,074.
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby Tom Williams » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:53 am

One more thought:

One's opinion of how high Merrimack taxes are depends in part on where your property stands relative to the recent revaulation. My house is relatively new, so the assessment prior to the revaluation was close to it's actual market value. I gather that many people in Merrimack were being taxed on assessments which were long out of date, and therefore below market value.
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby RD » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:20 am

Rather than tax rates, I've been looking at actual taxes, as it appears that towns with higher tax rates have lower assessed property values, and vice versa.

For a home with asking price around $250K on around 1 acre, I've noticed that the taxes were pretty consistently around $4500 - $5000. This is, of course, only anecdotal evidence.
RD

Postby RBarnes » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:46 am

RD wrote:Rather than tax rates, I've been looking at actual taxes, as it appears that towns with higher tax rates have lower assessed property values, and vice versa.

RD beat me to the punch. Tax rates alone aren't something that can be compared as house values differ from town to town and in many towns the rate at which they tax isn't always 100% of the assessed value.

That's why I usually compare the actual tax bill I get with what some of my neighbors from Bedford pay.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Return to The Common Folk