School Board meeting 11/20/06 [video]

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

School Board meeting 11/20/06 [video]

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:10 am

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8811&hl=en

<embed id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6716389341984808811&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

No Agenda was available at the time I recorded this meeting.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Debra Huffman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:21 am

Nat,
Much thanks for your efforts. Thanks to you I have finally bought the cables and hooked up my laptop to use my TV as a monitor, so watching these videos should be about as good as seeing the tape.

I have a technical question and I don't know if anyone out there can help me. Does anyone know how to tweak the settings on a Dell Inspiron to allow it to output to a second monitor? On Control Panel/Display I found a setting for 'Plug n Play Monitor' and I twiddled it a few ways, but so far here's what happens:

If my laptop screen is displaying, the TV screen won't. If I shut the laptop, the image then appears on the TV and it works just fine for a few seconds, but then the laptop goes into standby mode and the screen goes blank again. I looked through every setting I could think of and couldn't find a way to say 'Output the image to both screens (or to Screen 2 only) OR let me shut the laptop without going into standby mode.'

Any clues out there? TIA.
Debra Huffman

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:18 am

On some laptops there's sets of little function keys indicated by blue symbols on the top row keys, accessed by the "Fn" key on the lower left of the keyboard, for things like adjusting monitor brightness and the like. There may be one that controls display outputs - pressing it repeatedly will toggle through laptop screen, display port, and both.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 am

Debra Huffman wrote:Nat,
Much thanks for your efforts. Thanks to you I have finally bought the cables and hooked up my laptop to use my TV as a monitor, so watching these videos should be about as good as seeing the tape.

I have a technical question and I don't know if anyone out there can help me. Does anyone know how to tweak the settings on a Dell Inspiron to allow it to output to a second monitor? On Control Panel/Display I found a setting for 'Plug n Play Monitor' and I twiddled it a few ways, but so far here's what happens:

If my laptop screen is displaying, the TV screen won't. If I shut the laptop, the image then appears on the TV and it works just fine for a few seconds, but then the laptop goes into standby mode and the screen goes blank again. I looked through every setting I could think of and couldn't find a way to say 'Output the image to both screens (or to Screen 2 only) OR let me shut the laptop without going into standby mode.'

Any clues out there? TIA.

What you want to do should be possible without using any extra software, but it's not as easy as it should be. This program offers some features that windows XP doesn't offer by default, but also makes it easier to manage multiple monitor setups, especially temporary or part time multiple monitor setups. You might try downloading the free trial and seeing if that makes your problem easier to solve. I've used the program in the past when I was carrying a laptop between locations, each with different multiple monitor setups, but I don't currently use it because all my computers with multiple monitors are permanent now.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Even if you don't use their software they have a decent FAQ on dealing with multi monitor setups in general.

Otherwise I think you should be able to find something in control panel/display under the settings tab, like enable multiple monitors. Once you do that your other display/TV should work. You also might try control panel/power options and disable the sleep/standby functionality when you close the lid. I believe that should be under the advanced tab.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Debra Huffman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:51 am

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try again tonight. Since there's a third-party app to make this simpler I must not be the only one who has tripped on this problem.
Debra Huffman

Postby Tom Williams » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:39 pm

I believe the Dell sequence is Fn-F8. It will cycle through 3 different configs: laptop monitor only, laptop & external monitor, external monitor only.

If you are using the S-video output, you may have to activate it in the boot configuration settings. I have now switched to an HP, and the S-video output is always "hot", but I think the Dell machines turn it on and off with the function key switch.

Good luck!
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Return to Meeting Videos