Free Tree removal

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Free Tree removal

Postby Merrimack92 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi,

I have read older posts on here about free tree removal, I am looking to have tree removed from my front yard, 2 big oaks and 25 or so of pines with a couple of hemlocks thrown in there. Does anyone know of companies that will do free tree removal? or if they are any good reasonably inexpensive tree removal companies? I have gotten some estimates and they are all above $2500 and that does not include stump grinding, so that may be a good price but it is still high to me when you're on a budget and some of these companies will take your trees and sell them anyway and make money off of it. Thanks.
Merrimack92

Re: Free Tree removal

Postby lynn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:15 pm

most that I have seen will take the trees down for free and take away the trunks
they leave the branches etc for you to clean up - ask the question
lynn

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:47 pm

I took out 30+ trees last year and talked with the free guys but decided against them. They destroyed an area down the street to the point that two of my neighbors are still cleaning up the mess of branchs stumps and trunks they didn't want 2 years after the fact. I asked them about it and they didn't have great answers in my view so I paid McGuiness (not the cheapest) to do it. My advice is to be careful because you may get what you pay for.
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby Merrimack92 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks. I have gotten quotes from a few different companies, McGuiness being almost double the cost of all the other companies, so I won't go with them, I am just trying to find a reasonable cost. I do understand about the mess that the free removal ones leave behind but it sounds like it was the choice of the people down the street from Gary to not clean up the mess sooner, or hire a company to then come in and clean it up atleast the cost of clean up is cheaper than the overall cost of paying to have your trees removed. Do either of you know of anyone other companies or who the free companies are? Thanks again.
Merrimack92

Postby richard » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:54 pm

I used Numark http://numarkexcavation.com/ . They removed the trees Only free. Removal of the stumps was costly. Then in addition to stump removal you have to pay to rake the land and then I paid for hydroseeding. For 30 trees, you may get them taken down but you will need to pay $1500/day to spruce thing up.

I had about 150 trees removed, all of them in close proximity to the house. The major problem is scheduling as they use different equipment for tree removal, stump removal and raking so I ended up using All Outdoors for the clean up (raking,York raking and hydroseeding)

Both companies were easy to work with.

R
richard

Postby ggkrupp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I don't know any of the free ones (I don't even remeber the exact one I spoke to ... just that they were working down the road).

As for the fee ones, we talked with McGuiness (http://www.mcguinnesstree.com/), Trees Company (http://www.treescompanyllc.com/) and Hirko's (http://www.hirkostreeservice.com/). McGuiness was slightly more expensive for our job that Hirko but they could get it all done in one day and take the whole tree away (leaving the stump). Trees would have been good too if my job would have been smaller as I could have worked alongside them to save some money. With Trees, you basically are renting equipment and crew by the day. I ended up not going with them because I wasn't confident that we could get all 32 trees out in two days which would have put them in the same price range as the other two (and I would have had to work for two days).

Good luck!
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby Speeder » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:59 am

I used Numark last fall to have about 40 good sized trees removed at no cost to me. It took me about 6 weeks (nights & weekends) to clean up and burn all the branches and limbs that remained, but I knew this going in to the process. I recently hired another local company to excavate and bury the stumps, regrade, loam, seed and fertilize all the disturbed areas. My grass is coming in now and within a few weeks it should be fully established. I'm happy with the end product, and with the overall amount it cost me to have this work done. In my opinion, this was by far the cheapest way to remove trees and do the yard expansion I wanted.
Speeder

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 pm

I've had land clearing done when I lived in Candia. Be prepared for the amount of limbs and leaves that will be left behind. I might shock you.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Speeder » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Jeannine is right, there was a lot of stuff left behind. Before Numark started the work, they asked if I wanted everything left in place, or scooped together and placed in piles. They told me that scooping it up can cause everything to tangle up and it can be hard to deal with after. I had him leave everything in place and I'm glad I went that route. There was a lot but it really wasn't that difficult to handle.
Speeder

Postby mort » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:37 pm

About five years ago I had http://www.varneylogging.com/ come and remove about 30 trees from the front and back of our home. The damage to my existing lawn was minimal as I carefully discussed with Varney how they were going to take down the trees and where the log skidder was going to be dragging the fallen timber. Amazing how fast they operated and, yes, it made a big mess but I knew exactly what was involved.

After the logging mess, I had Michael J. Boyle Excavating (New Boston) come in and pop the stumps and haul them away. Originally Boyle wanted to bury the stumps but over time the buried stumps will rot and potentially create sink holes in my yard. No thanks. Boyle did a fantastic job for a one-man crew!

It took a full season for things to look normal again but it was expected.
mort

Postby Merrimack92 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:13 am

Thank you everyone for all of your input. After having several companies come out I did finally get a great quote on having roughly 28 to 32 trees removed and all the stumps grinded below grade. I had contacted NuMark but did not hear back and then when he finally did contact me back I had already decided to go with someone else because NuMark was too hard to get in touch with and he takes too long to respond and I had also contacted Varney and Sons logging and after calling and leaving a message and two email messages on their site they finally called me back over three weeks later and then one of them just showed up at my house one night without any warning so I would not go with them after that. But I am going with Atomic Tree Company. Now I just have to find a company to deliver fill so I can ease the slope in my yard. Thanks again everyone.
Merrimack92

Postby lynn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 pm

just an fyi
when the bandstand was being built for the 250th aniversary of the town
Atomic was the one who did a lot of the tree work on the site and it was
all ( or a lot) volunteer
lynn

Postby Merrimack92 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:40 am

Wow, that makes me like them even more, don't hear of too many companies doing things like that nowadays. Thanks for the fyi.
Merrimack92

Return to For Sale or Trade / Wanted / Local Business info