Used or inexpensive verizon cell phones?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Used or inexpensive verizon cell phones?

Postby Scott Kepnes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:34 am

Is there any way to get around the "upgrades" for verizon cell phones? My phone works, just barely...and I am not able to upgrade it for the "reduced" price at verizon until Dec. so I am told. I googled a little about it but was wondering if anyone has recommendations to a good resource or I'd even be interested in buying someone's used phone if it is a possibility.

I guess all along I've assumed that I can only get a phone through verizon themselves so obviously they have programmed me well! Kind of like after several years I finally switched from fairpoint to comcast and am saving quite a bit.

If I could get a phone from verizon right now without paying their high cost it would be this one, and that's the type I'm looking for.
https://smartphones.verizonwireless.com/SupportDetails/phone/Samsung/Continuum#/page|275/products|1000:2201

Any suggestions appreciated,

Scott
Scott Kepnes

Re: Used or inexpensive verizon cell phones?

Postby andysinnh » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:57 am

At any point, you can activate a CDMA-based phone to your verizon phone number online or via an automated system. You just need the EISN number off of the phone. Many times, you can find on either Craigslist or on eBay verizon phones that you can buy that you can then activate for a fraction of the cost of buying it thru Verizon - but it really depends on the phone and how popular it is. Many times people swap out phones and just want to get rid of them cheap. So searching around is the key here. The bigger issue would be if you were swapping from a regular phone to a smartphone, meaning you have to change your service level (and add a data plan) - but you can do that without buying a phone from Verizon directly.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Brian McCarthy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 am

I second what Andy is suggesting - hit ebay/craigslist and activate yourself via the web. Smartphones/data plans are tougher because they usually require a phone call....but it can be done
Brian McCarthy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:24 am

When shopping for a used phone for a CDMA carrier (Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular) just make sure it has a "clean" ESN (Electronic Serial Number) and it is designed for the network you want to activate it on. I've bought used CDMA phones multiple times for both Verizon and Sprint and never had a problem but the ESN is unique per phone and supposedly carriers will refuse to activate a phone with an ESN that has previously been reported stolen.

All you need to do is go to the right page on their web site and enter the phones' ESN. Typically that page includes instructions on how to find the ESN but you can also google for instructions online. They can also swap ESNs by calling on the phone but typically there's a fee involved unless you encountered problems trying to swap the ESNs online. As long as your current plan matches the feature set of the phone you are activating there should be no problem, I've done regular phone to regular phone and smart phone to smartphone but regular phone to smartphone will usually require a plan change (Sprint can require a plan change or a surcharge even from smartphone to smartphone, especially if you are swapping to a 4G phone).

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby RayWhipple » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm

http://cellular-freedom.com/

A local company worth checking out.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
RayWhipple

Return to For Sale or Trade / Wanted / Local Business info