Interesting editorial from military group

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Interesting editorial from military group

Postby platypusman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:48 am

http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/obama-military.htm

Obama and the Military
Barack Obama's left-wing naivety is a serious threat to the national security of the United States. If elected, Obama's national defense/military policies would have long-term, disastrous effects on America's ability to defend herself in a world of serious emerging threats. If you weren't sure about who to vote for in the upcoming presidential election, then read on. You'll be sure after reading the following if you care about the security of your nation. Though John McCain isn't the perfect candidate, and Obama's intellect would otherwise be welcome in the White House, MilitaryNewsNetwork.com endorses John McCain for the next president of the United States. This endorsement is based alone on the paramount issue of national security. Without national security, America has nothing else.

The world is changing and evolving, and becoming more dangerous on many spectrums. China is emerging as a superpower, and India a near superpower based on population and technology alone. Technology is empowering otherwise backwards and primitive states with the abilities to, among other things, launch cyber attacks and bring down modern jets with one-man ground-to-air missiles. Oil is infusing new cash into the nuclear Russian military (the new president vows to fund new nuclear missiles), and enabling emerging countries, including South American countries such as Venezuela, to develop semi-formidable militaries complete with sophisticated weapons from Russia, China, and elsewhere. And in a world of increasing populations and diminishing resources, competition for natural resources will increasingly and inevitably lead to conflicts. Then, of course, there are the current conflicts, including the unresolved wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Palestinian/Israeli conflict to include the greater standoff between Israel and Arab nations, the China-Taiwan standoff (which MNN believes China will press the issue once achieving regional military superiority), North Korea, Iran, Chechnya, militant Islam's attempted takeover of Africa, and many other conflicts around the world. Many Americans aren't aware of how dangerous this world is, having enjoyed peace and prosperity on the continent for many years. But the world is shrinking, due to technology and increasing populations, and America's military must be ready now, more than ever, to stand ready against these many threats.

Yet, it seems, Obama sees the world in more innocent terms, with dangerous nations not as birds of prey, but aggravated birds - who with the proper love and understanding - could become doves. Take Obama's comments on Iran as an example:

"Senator Barack Obama says he would "engage in aggressive personal diplomacy" with Iran if elected president and would offer economic inducements and a possible promise not to seek "regime change" if Iran stopped meddling in Iraq and cooperated on terrorism and nuclear issues." (Obama Envisions New Iran Approach, New York Times, Nov. 2, 2007, Michael R. Gordan and Jeff Zeleny.)

But, as it stands now, there is nothing in this world - not in a thousand or two thousand years - that will resolve the Arab and Iranian hatred against Israel. There is nothing in this world that will stop China's desire for Taiwan. And there is nothing in this world that will stop militant Islam's war against everything that is not militant Islam.

And yet, a President Obama would seek to undercut America's strategic military advantages, chief among these being America's nuclear strike capabilities. In a video Obama made for a pacifist organization last year, Obama made very candid and very scary remarks about cuts he would make to American defense capabilities.

Obama states:

"I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending. I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of Future Combat Systems, and I will institute an independent defense priorities board to insure that the quadrennial defense review is not used to justify unnecessary spending. Third, I will set a goal of a world without nuclear weapons. To seek that goal I will not develop new nuclear weapons, I will seek a global ban on the development of fissile material and I will negotiate with Russia to take our ICBMs off hair-trigger alert and to achieve deep cuts in our nuclear arsenals."

In this world where everyone has tanks and troops, America's ultimate tactical advantage is nuclear superiority. Without nuclear superiority, America's military capabilities are effectively reduced to that of many countries, seeing how Iraq has shown the world that Shock and Awe American Military Might can be stymied by small bands of local individuals who employ snipers, IEDs and primitive rocket launchers. In this new century, America, more than ever, needs the ultimate trump card. America does not know what lies ahead in this century, or what evil plots will be hatched against her. But when threats come, America needs to be prepared. An Obama presidency would severely reduce America's military superiority and, like past, pacifist presidencies have shown (Carter, Clinton), further embolden America's enemies.

These dangerous remarks by Obama about national security also call into question other concerns about Obama. There are many unanswered questions about Obama - is he truly patriotic (not placing his hand over his heart during the National Anthem), does he harbor ill feelings towards America being a black man (Rev. Wright), does he sympathize with Islam (schooling in Indonesia, Muslim father).

Here's what we do know. He's married to a woman who recently stated "for the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country..." During their entire marriage, Obama's wife has not been proud of her country, and that attitude must certainly have existed to some degree in the Obama household. Her negative comments towards America echo Obama's former pastor's (Rev. Wright) many vitriolic remarks against America. (In congregations such as Rev. Wright's, you'll hear such shocking remarks as "America got what it deserved on 9/11.") Obama's world also consisted of his job as a civil rights attorney. Now, civil rights is a noble cause, but today's civil rights movement, which often paints the poor as victims of America, is infected with anti-American, anti-establishment rhetoric. Obama states he was against the Iraq War from the start, but is he a forward-thinking tactician, or was he against the war because he didn't want to see America "subjugate" an Islamic country, or didn't want to see a disproportionate share of poor minorities fighting America's "colonial" wars, or...? These are tough, unanswered questions.

Overall, here at MNN we see Obama as a smart, professional, family man. Some of the above questions may be unfair to Obama and his nice family. Though some of the above questions remain when they shouldn't, the questions about Obama and national security don't. Obama wants to make (perhaps deep) cuts to the U.S. Military at a time we will soon find we can ill afford. Without national security, America will ultimately have nothing else. National security should always be the paramount, overriding concern of the U.S. Government, and Obama would diminish it, plain and simple. Ultimately, a vote for Obama would be a vote for America's many, undeserved enemies.
platypusman

Return to National Politics