Do you trust a rookie

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Do you trust a rookie

Postby Wayne » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:21 pm

platypusman wrote:Obama has shown again a complete lack of understanding of foreign affairs. He is really dangerous!

Boy, are you stretching! You could come over and give my cats a few pointers. :D :D :D
Wayne

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:12 am

Russia seems to be attempting to recapture the glory of the Soviet Union and because of this, we cannot turn over the reigns of our military and DOS to Obama who had only a few months of Senate experience before launching his full-time bid for the presidency.
Russia May Turn Focus to Pro-U.S. Ukraine After Beating Georgia

By Henry Meyer

Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Now that Russia has humiliated Georgia with a punishing military offensive, it may shift its attention to reining in pro-Western Ukraine, another American ally in the former Soviet Union.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's first order of business likely will be to try to thwart Ukraine's bid to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
platypusman

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:35 am

platypusman wrote:Russia seems to be attempting to recapture the glory of the Soviet Union and because of this, we cannot turn over the reigns of our military and DOS to Obama who had only a few months of Senate experience before launching his full-time bid for the presidency.
Russia May Turn Focus to Pro-U.S. Ukraine After Beating Georgia

By Henry Meyer

Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Now that Russia has humiliated Georgia with a punishing military offensive, it may shift its attention to reining in pro-Western Ukraine, another American ally in the former Soviet Union.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's first order of business likely will be to try to thwart Ukraine's bid to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Hasn't this all happened under the current leader of the free world?
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:50 am

Yes events are rapidly evolving and their outcome will have significant ramifications for our future. This is why I would be very worried that an inexperienced person who has already flip-flopped on the issue of Russia attacking Georgia be at the helm of the 'ship'.
platypusman

Postby RD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:47 am

platypusman wrote:Russia seems to be attempting to recapture the glory of the Soviet Union

They seem to have been emboldened by the imperialistic actions of George Bush. This is yet another reason to not extend the Bush regime to a third term under McCain. It's time for change.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:42 am

RD

They seem to have been emboldened by the imperialistic actions of George Bush. This is yet another reason to not extend the Bush regime to a third term under McCain. It's time for change.

Why must you blame Bush for everything? If anyone is to blame it's you fools for constantly blaming Bush and elevating an empty suit for president. Russia sees weakness and knows our hands are tied. Do you actually believe that Obama will scare Russia? He's a joke.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:53 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:RD

Why must you blame Bush for everything? If anyone is to blame it's you fools for constantly blaming Bush and elevating an empty suit for president. Russia sees weakness and knows our hands are tied. Do you actually believe that Obama will scare Russia? He's a joke.

Jeannine, Platy is stating that Obama will be an issue. If this is the case then that would mean that the issue is Bush's at this time. Therefore if the conflict can be resolved by the President it is going wrong under Bush.

It is similiar to 9/11, more could have been done by Clinton. It isn't just Bush's fault (nor just Clinton's) for 9/11 however the "rookie" at the time could have done more also. (this is my opinion as to what both admins did)

So with Russia, Bush could have done more and it is likely that the next President will have to deal with it. If they continue to follow the same path then it will likely continue as is meaning it would be Bush's and the next President's fault.

I find it hard for the US to tell Russia to stop when the US attacked Iraq.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:12 am

Michael Thompson there are two facts you need to understand about Obama that should concern all of us.

1. Obama has very limited experience
2. Obama has already flip-flopped in front of the world on Iraq and with the current situation in Georgia

Next, Russia's invasion of Georgia has nothing to do with Iraq or Bush. We have attacked countries before, the US during Clinton’s time attacked both Iraq and Kosovo without UN authorization.

Finally, what is scary is Obama’s 'Pollyanna' view of the world. He reminds me to some extent of Neville Chamberlain with his Munich agreement or Jimmy Carter with his complete impotence during the Iranian crisis. We cannot afford to have a rookie at this time!
platypusman

Postby RD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:17 am

Michael Thompson wrote:I find it hard for the US to tell Russia to stop when the US attacked Iraq.

That's why we need to elect a president that doesn't support the U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq. It will give us credibility in dealing with situations like the current Russia/Georgia conflict, as well as other conflicts around the world.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:20 am

Platy,

How do you feel Bush has done?

Here are the options:

Great, Good, neither good or bad, Bad or Horrible?

Please answer with one of the above options, not looking for an explaination nor a debate on your answer.
Michael Thompson

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:41 am

Here are the options:

In what area?

Cutting taxes = good
Controlling spending = Bad
War on Terror = neither good or bad (In hind sight, he should have committed more troops early in the war)
platypusman

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:50 am

platypusman wrote:

Here are the options:

In what area?

Cutting taxes = good
Controlling spending = Bad
War on Terror = neither good or bad (In hind sight, he should have committed more troops early in the war)

So how do you feel overall he has done.
Michael Thompson

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:50 am

Rd and Michael Thomspon

In actuality, what do you expect Bush to do about this?

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how we've lost our credibility with the world because of Iraq. Please name the countries where we've lost credibility. I hear this from the left all the time and so far no one has told me which countries we are supposed to be worried about what they think.

platy is correct. Where was your outrage when we invaded Kosovo? Gulf war? The majority of Congress voted to go into Iraq. The way you people talk it's like Bush went marching into Iraq without any notice like he's Putin. This is the way of the world. People who wish you harm will not ask your permission to attack you.

Obama can't handle the reality of the world.What challenges has he ever faced?
McCain at least has lived through hell. He's got what it takes to stand strong in times of crisis.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:05 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Rd and Michael Thomspon

In actuality, what do you expect Bush to do about this?

So you would then mean that Obama won't be able to do anything about it. Meaning that you don't see this thread as needed.

Jeannine Stergios wrote:I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how we've lost our credibility with the world because of Iraq. Please name the countries where we've lost credibility. I hear this from the left all the time and so far no one has told me which countries we are supposed to be worried about what they think.

I believe I stated that I find it hard to tell Russia what to do.

Jeannine Stergios wrote:platy is correct. Where was your outrage when we invaded Kosovo? Gulf war? The majority of Congress voted to go into Iraq. The way you people talk it's like Bush went marching into Iraq without any notice like he's Putin. This is the way of the world. People who wish you harm will not ask your permission to attack you.

Regarding Kosovo, I will have to say that I didn't follow it closely so I will not comment. Regarding Gulf War, Iraq invaded a country and we assisted Kuwait. We did not invade Kuwait.

So a country is guilty until proven innocent! Imagine if our legal system worked this way. We have all had enemies in our life, should they be thrown in jail before doint anything?

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Obama can't handle the reality of the world.What challenges has he ever faced?
McCain at least has lived through hell. He's got what it takes to stand strong in times of crisis.

I never was a VP until this current job, however our company is now growing over 300% this year.
Michael Thompson

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:36 am

Michael Thomspon

I never was a VP until this current job, however our company is now growing over 300% this year.

I bet you had experiences that prepared you to be VP anddidn't just walk in off the street and get offered the position. What are Obama's experiences that prepare him to deal with the economy? Does he have business experience? Does he have an MBA? Has he ever managed anything?

What are his foreign affairs experiences with the exception of his recent whirlwind tour?

Exactly what prepares him for president?

So you would then mean that Obama won't be able to do anything about it. Meaning that you don't see this thread as needed.

Keep in mind that Bush spent two days talking to Putin in person this week while both of them were in Beijing. Didn't you realize that? Do you think we would have listened to Putin if he told us not to invade Iraq?

So a country is guilty until proven innocent! Imagine if our legal system worked this way. We have all had enemies in our life, should they be thrown in jail before doint anything?

HUH? :shock: :shock:

I believe I stated that I find it hard to tell Russia what to do.

Once again you Dems dodged this question. Why? Because there's no truth to it whatsoever. I have asked several times on this forum for you Dems to state which countries we've lost face with and never an answer.
Jeannine Stergios

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics