Do you trust a rookie

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Do you trust a rookie

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:40 am

Given we are in a dangerous world, is a rookie up to being president? Obama knows nothing about the military, nothing about war and very little about foreign affairs.

This is a dangerous situation and calls for an experienced hand.

Russian troops raid Georgian town; scores dead
Aug 9, 9:36 AM (ET)

By MISHA DZHINDZHIKHASHVILI

(GORI, Georgia (AP) - Russia sent hundreds of tanks and troops into the separatist province of South Ossetia and bombed Georgian towns Saturday in a major escalation of the conflict that has left scores of civilians dead and wounded.

Georgia, a staunch U.S. ally, launched a major offensive Friday to retake control of breakaway South Ossetia. Russia, which has close ties to the province and posts peacekeepers there, responded by sending in armed convoys and military combat aircraft.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov told reporters in Moscow that some 1,500 people have been killed, with the death toll rising Saturday.
platypusman

Re: Do you trust a rookie

Postby RD » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Obama and McCain had the exact same response.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:07 pm

These are times when experience counts. Obama does not have it.
platypusman

Postby RD » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:27 pm

platypusman wrote:These are times when experience counts. Obama does not have it.

Please outline McCain's experience as Commander in Chief. Thanks.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Norman Phillips » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:34 pm

Contrary to Ken, I trust Obama's instinct better than I trust McCain's experience. McCain voted to allow Bush to invade Iraq, while Obama ( then still in the Illinois Senate) was opposed to the invasion.

This is a case where McCain's purported experience with foreign affairs misled him, and where the "inexperience" of Obama allowed his judgment to end up with the right answer.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:11 pm

Norman

Contrary to Ken, I trust Obama's instinct better than I trust McCain's experience. McCain voted to allow Bush to invade Iraq, while Obama ( then still in the Illinois Senate) was opposed to the invasion.

This is a case where McCain's purported experience with foreign affairs misled him, and where the "inexperience" of Obama allowed his judgment to end up with the right answer.

Obama opposed Iraq to win votes - nothing more. Besides, what makes you think Obama was right about Iraq? We don't even know the final outcome yet.

Obama's instincts are.......???????
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RD » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:49 am

Russia is acting very American (at least the America of late), aren't they? Does anyone else see the extreme irony of President Bush condemning Russia's invasion of another sovereign nation?
Last edited by RD on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
RD

Postby platypusman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:32 am

Norman I think you are streching here.

Obama was not in the Senate so it is impossible to say he had a position on the war. It is like saying I would have not thrown an interception in last year's Super Bowl. The only problem with that statement is, I was not playing in the Super Bowl last year.

What is troubling about Obama is he did not have the experience to support policy that is winning the war today. In this case, Obama had the opportunity to be on record. His position was wrong and that is a fact.
platypusman

Postby Wayne » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:08 am

platypusman wrote:His position was wrong and that is a fact.

No, that is an opinion.
Wayne

Postby platypusman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:20 am

No it is a fact. David Petraeus, the top US commander in Iraq has said so. There are too many instances to quote but even more important, Democrats are saying the surge worked.

Obama should come clean with the American people and tell us he was wrong.

-----
Iraq war success makes pullout possible, Rep. John Salazar says

By MIKE SACCONE
The Daily Sentinel

Thursday, August 07, 2008

The success of president Bush’s troop surge in Iraq should allow U.S. forces to begin reducing troop levels in the near future, Rep. John Salazar, D-Colo., said he learned while visiting the region this week.
platypusman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 am

RD

Russia is acting very American (at least the America of late), aren't they? Does anyone else see the extreme irony of President Bush condemning Russia's invasion of another sovereign nation?

Another one of your "patriotic" missives I see. From what I understand, Gerogia launched the attack - not Russia.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Wayne » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:10 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:RD
Another one of your "patriotic" missives I see. From what I understand, Gerogia launched the attack - not Russia.

Jeannine, whose troops are in whose country?
Wayne

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Jeannine Stergios

Postby platypusman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 am

Obama has shown again a complete lack of understanding of foreign affairs. He is really dangerous!

Obama's initial statement on the Russian invasion of Georgia:

http://www.barackobama.com/2008/08/08/s ... ama_on.php

“I strongly condemn the outbreak of violence in Georgia, and urge an immediate end to armed conflict. Now is the time for Georgia and Russia to show restraint, and to avoid an escalation to full scale war. Georgia’s territorial integrity must be respected. All sides should enter into direct talks on behalf of stability in Georgia, and the United States, the United Nations Security Council, and the international community should fully support a peaceful resolution to this crisis.”

He said nothing about Russia invading another country.

Obama's mangers corrected the mistake later.

http://www.reuters.com/article/europeCr ... SN09504234

“I condemn Russia’s aggressive actions and reiterate my call for an immediate ceasefire… Russia must stop its bombing campaign, cease flights of Russian aircraft in Georgian airspace, and withdraw its ground forces from Georgia.”
platypusman

Postby TCF » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Wheres the UN when you need them. Most of the left have a love affair with the UN, so it only makes sense. You know remember the 14 resolutions. Don't worry though. THE ONE will sit down with the leaders and part the red sea and all will be well again. Amen.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Next

Return to National Politics