Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Breaking News

Postby platypusman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Edwards affair becomes public knowledge

Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate
In ABC News Interview, Edwards Says He Cheated, but Did Not Father Child
By RHONDA SCHWARTZ and BRIAN ROSS
August 8, 2008 —

John Edwards repeatedly lied during his Presidential campaign about an extra-marital affair with a novice film-maker, the former Senator admitted to ABC News today.

In an interview for broadcast tonight on Nightline, Edwards told ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff he did have an affair with 42-year old Rielle Hunter, but said that he did not love her.

Edwards also denied he was the father of Hunter's baby girl, Frances Quinn, although the one-time Democratic Presidential candidate said he has not taken a paternity test.

Edwards said he knew he was not the father based on timing of the baby's birth on February 27, 2008. He said his affair ended too soon for him to have been the father.

A former campaign aide, Andrew Young, has said he was the father of the child.

According to friends of Hunter, Edwards met her at a New York city bar in 2006. His political action committee later paid her $114,000 to produce campaign website documentaries despite her lack of experience.

Edwards said the affair began during the campaign after she was hired. Hunter traveled with Edwards around the country and to Africa.

Edwards said his wife, Elizabeth, and others in his family became aware of the affair in 2006.

Edwards made a point of telling Woodruff that his wife's cancer was in remission when he began the affair with Hunter. Elizabeth Edwards has since been diagnosed with an incurable form of the disease.

When the National Enquirer first reported the alleged Edwards-Hunter affair last October 11, Edwards, his campaign staff and Hunter vociferously denounced the report.

"The story is false, it's completely untrue, it's ridiculous," Edwards told reporters then.

He repeated his denials just two weeks ago.

Edwards today admitted the National Enquirer was correct when it reported he had visited Hunter at the Beverly Hills Hilton last month.

The former Senator said his wife had not known about the meeting.

Since becoming pregnant, Hunter has lived under assumed names in a series of expensive homes in North Carolina and, more recently, in Santa Barbara, California.

Edwards denied paying any money to Hunter to keep her from going public but said it was possible some of his friends or supporters may have made payments without telling him.

He said he would ask questions about any possible arrangement.
platypusman

Re: Breaking News

Postby Wizard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Edward’s timing of this confession is impeccable. Here it is late in the day on a Friday, folks are concentrating on the week-end ahead and no one is paying too much attention to the news. Tomorrow is Saturday and many folks never read a newspaper on Saturday. So by Monday, this will not even be a news story. Typical politician. Do you think that this story would have even broke if Edwards was waiting in the wings as the Democratic nominee for President?

And while we are on the subject of breaking news......

I heard that the Russians have invaded Georgia today. Personally, I don’t understand why they would even want Georgia. I would have gone for Texas. Texas is a much larger state and I hear that they have oil there. Maybe all those guns scared them. Stupid Russians.
Wizard

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Wizard

I heard that the Russians have invaded Georgia today. Personally, I don’t understand why they would even want Georgia. I would have gone for Texas. Texas is a much larger state and I hear that they have oil there. Maybe all those guns scared them. Stupid Russians.

LOL

Edwards never had me fooled. I always knew he was a slime.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RD » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Wizard wrote:Tomorrow is Saturday and many folks never read a newspaper on Saturday.

Right... I'm taking my stepson to see The Dark Knight tomorrow... in IMAX! :D

"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby RD » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:53 am

platypusman wrote:Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate

Hey, didn't McCain also have an affair that he didn't admit to while running for president?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/2 ... 87690.html
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:00 am

I don't think so.

You should stick to facts and avoid rumors.
platypusman

Postby RD » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:13 am

platypusman wrote:I don't think so.

What makes you think McCain didn't have an affair?
RD

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:12 am

He did not say he had one but Edwards said he had an affair while his wife was involved with cancer.

I am not making judgements here only stating facts.

Edited to clear up confusion.
Last edited by platypusman on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
platypusman

Postby andysinnh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:54 am

platypusman wrote:He did say he had one but Edwards said he had an affair while his wife was involved with cancer.

I know I said I wasn't coming back - but we need to clarify here the "involved with cancer". Edwards wife was in remission from cancer in 2006, and her current diagnosis of the uncurable form of cancer came in March 2007, long after the admitted affair was completed. I do not condone what Edwards did by any stretch - I could not support this sort of behavior, and frankly do not think highly of anyone who would do this to someone they love. On that one be clear. But to say that Elizabeth Edwards was "involved with cancer" to make Edwards' affair "worse" than McCain's is what I'd call scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Back to the sidelines. 8)
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Michael Pelletier » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:54 am

Kind of amusing how people dismiss the National Enquirer as "tabloid trash" when it turns out they have more credibility than the New York Times.

I wonder if Sen. Burling, after peeling off his aging Edwards sticker, still has one of Bill Clinton's?
Michael Pelletier

Postby RD » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 am

platypusman wrote:He did say he had one but Edwards said he had an affair while his wife was involved with cancer.

So according to the platypus, having an affair is okay, as long as your wife doesn't have cancer. :roll:

andysinnh wrote:to make Edwards' affair "worse" than McCain's is what I'd call scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

It's what platypus' do. It's their nature.

Sooooo... what have we learned with platypus' little "breaking news" thread here?

• John Edwards, who holds no elected office and is not running for one, had an affair.
  • John McCain, a U.S. Senator from Arizona, and the presumptive Republican nominee for President of the United States, also had an affair.
RD

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:17 am

RD wrote:

So according to the platypus, having an affair is okay, as long as your wife doesn't have cancer. :roll:

andysinnh wrote:to make Edwards' affair "worse" than McCain's is what I'd call scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

It's what platypus' do. It's their nature.

Sooooo... what have we learned with platypus' little "breaking news" thread here?

• John Edwards, who holds no elected office and is not running for one, had an affair.
  • John McCain, a U.S. Senator from Arizona, and the presumptive Republican nominee for President of the United States, also had an affair.

There is no corroboration by McCain on this and that is a fact. However, in the case of Edwards there is and that is a fact.
platypusman

Postby Michael Pelletier » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 am

andysinnh wrote:... long after [Edwards'] admitted affair was completed.

Andy, the only reason he's had to admit it publicly now is because the National Enquirer photographers caught him red handed on July 21 trying to sneak into and out of the Beverly Hills Hilton where Rielle Hunter was staying under the name of her friend Bob McGovern, with Bob staying in a different room with the baby, and where Edwards was not a registered guest.

What do you suppose he was doing there? Just visiting? Reminiscing about old times on the campaign trail? Watching Nick at Night and eating microwave popcorn from 9:45pm until 2:30am?

Completed? Pshaw.

He has a lot of nerve complaining about "tabloid trash." If the National Enquirer is "trashy," it's only because of the depths of trashiness to which Edwards himself has stooped. I wonder if he got off on the sleaziness of sneaking into the back entrance of a hotel and skulking through the basement to the elevator.
Michael Pelletier

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:34 am

This sad, the Democrat Edwards will not do the right thing to see if he is the child's father.

Mistress' Family Challenges Edwards to Take DNA Test
Sister of Other Woman in Edwards Affair: 'Stop Bad-Mouthing My Sister'
By RHONDA SCHWARTZ and BRIAN ROSS
ABC News
Aug. 9, 2008—

The family of John Edwards' former mistress, Rielle Hunter, is challenging the former senator to take a DNA paternity test after his claim that he did not father Hunter's 6-months-old child.
platypusman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:08 pm

RD

Please stop making excuses and drawing moral equivalents. Edwards was wrong and he has admitted as much. Wrong is wrong no matter which party you support. I didn't see anyone defneding Senator Vitter for being involved in a prostitution scandal.

I'm beginning to think that politicians suffer from severe narcissism and believe they are above the law. Reminds me of the Roman Senate which was just as corrupt.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Return to National Politics