Bill Clinton doubts Obama's readiness to be president

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Bill Clinton doubts Obama's readiness to be president

Postby platypusman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:01 am

This is amazing! Bill Clinton won't go on record saying Obama is ready to lead our nation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... obama.html

Bill Clinton refuses to say Barack Obama is 'ready' for White House
BY MICHAEL McAULIFF
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Updated Monday, August 4th 2008, 5:01 PM

Even after his wife has dropped out of the presidential race, Bill Clinton has had only tepid praise for Barack Obama.
WASHINGTON - Bill Clinton regrets some things he said - and didn't say - on the campaign trail. But there's one thing he still can't utter: Barack Obama is ready to be President.

"You can argue that nobody is ready to be President," the former President told ABC News.

"You can argue that even if you've been vice president for eight years, that no one can be fully ready for the pressures of the office," Clinton said Monday during a visit to Rwanda. That's probably not what Team Obama wanted to hear from the former commander in chief, whose role in Obama's election push and at the Democratic National Convention remains in flux.

Team Obama has said Clinton will be an asset, but so far he and the Illinois senator have spoken only once, by phone, since the primaries ended - a fact that has peeved some Obama supporters.

Bubba's backers concede his unwillingness to say his party's nominee is ready to sit in the Oval Office was a faux pas.

"The political answer is to just say, 'Yes,' period," said Democratic strategist Chris Lehane. "But as a former President, he has a special perspective on what it takes."

Clinton couldn't just say the political thing, Lehane added, because he's still smarting from Hillary Clinton's bitter defeat.

"This is someone whose spouse was on the ticket, a person he felt tremendously strong about, who he felt had the ability to become President," Lehane said.

Clinton and his wife argued in nearly every speech that she was ready tobe President on day one.

Bubba did praise some of the very same traits he ripped in the primaries - including Obama's ability to lead through inspiring words, which he trashed as empty rhetoric on the campaign trail.

"He clearly can inspire and motivate people and energize them, which is a very important part of being President," Clinton said. "And he's smart as a whip so there's nothing he can't learn."

Clinton repeatedly became a distraction for his wife's campaign, and many Obama supporters felt he and Hillary were racially insensitive.

In spite of Clinton's lackluster endorsement Monday, Team Obama will take it. "He and Sen. Clinton are tremendous assets," spokesman Bill Burton said.

Bubba said he wished he could have a few of his words back. "There are things that I wished I urged her to do, things I wished I said, things I wished I hadn't said," Clinton said. But he defended his record on race. "I am not a racist - I never made a racist comment and I didn't attack him personally," Clinton said.

Clinton, caught in numerous finger-wagging outbursts in the campaign, insisted he's not angry at Obama. "I think everybody's got a right to run for President who qualifies under the Constitution," Clinton said. "I'd be the last person to begrudge anybody their ambition."
platypusman

Re: Bill Clinton doubts Obama's readiness to be president

Postby RBarnes » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:15 pm

I've been saying this for a while and I'll say it again... once it is confirmed Hillary is not Obama's vp choice she and Bill are going to let things like this slip out in order to shoot him down just like they did to Kerry.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:10 pm

"You can argue that nobody is ready to be President," the former President told ABC News.

Kind of a misleading thread title, don't ya think? But who here would expect anything less from you...
Wayne

Postby platypusman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:25 pm

I would have thought an unequivocal endorsement would be in order but we don't see that. This tempid response makes one question what Bill Clinton thinks of Obama.
platypusman

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:28 pm

Since we all know what you think of Clinton, this should be a plus in your book.
Wayne

Postby RD » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 pm

platypusman wrote:I would have thought an unequivocal endorsement would be in order but we don't see that. [add in Colbert slamming his hand on his desk]

You do realize, don't you, that you are (and have been for some time now) nothing more than a source of humor on this forum? :lol:

Thank you for the entertainment. You are clearly a very funny liberal, because you're almost on par with Colbert. Thanks again for the laughs. :lol:
Last edited by RD on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby platypusman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 pm

RD wrote:
platypusman wrote:I would have thought an unequivocal endorsement would be in order but we don't see that.

Ahhh the slimy spinning and twisting from under the bridge. You do realize, don't you, that you are (and have been for some time now) nothing more than a source of humor on this forum? :lol:

RD I beg to differ. Based on the number of PM's I get advocating my posts, I think my positions are resonating! Please remember my humble goals. If I can change even one mind so that a person does not vote for Obama my work will be well worth it.
platypusman

Postby RD » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:06 pm

platypusman wrote: I think my positions are resonating!

Hahaha... You are hilarious platypus. Please keep up the entertainment... it's precious. Thanks again.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:25 pm

platypusman wrote:If I can change even one mind so that a person does not vote for Obama my work will be well worth it.

How many have you changed in your favor so far?
Wayne

Postby andysinnh » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:26 pm

For someone who's so agressive with negative campaigning against Obama, I hardly think your goals are "humble". As I said, I'm on the fence this election, but frankly your methods are very reflective of many ultra-conservative folks I've run across during my life. Instead of telling me why I SHOULD support something, they preach on why I SHOULDN'T support it. Sort of like the character that Richard Dreyfus played in The American President. "...The president's got a girlfriend!..." comes to mind as a parallel style of quote...

Frankly, I'd love to see a gloves-off debate with Obama and McCain, and watch McCain's temper come to the forefront. I speculate that, unchecked, you'd get something to the effect of what Howard Dean did after his caucus win in the 2004 primaries. Let one's emotions like that show in a national forum, and they'd soon be writing their swan song. Frankly, that's what makes me nervious about McCain...
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby platypusman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:04 am

Andy I believe your response here to be less than sincere! I say this respectfully but I have followed you posts on this forum and in almost all cases, you stake of a far left position or support the far left candidate. I don’t believe you are up in the air in this race either.
platypusman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:38 am

RD

You do realize, don't you, that you are (and have been for some time now) nothing more than a source of humor on this forum?

Thank you for the entertainment. You are clearly a very funny liberal, because you're almost on par with Colbert. Thanks again for the laughs.

Really? The only people who find platypus a source of humor are people who think like you. Too immature and unwilling to accept the reality of a lousy Dem candidate.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Return to National Politics