Who would you trust on the economy?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Who would you trust on the economy?

Postby RD » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:05 am

Who would you prefer advise the next president on fiscal policy? Carly Fiorina or former U.S. Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin? Ms. Fiorina is advising Sen. McCain on the economy. Secretary Rubin and Sen. Obama propose to reinstate the tax structure that the Clinton administration put into place. Recall, critics said of the Clinton structure that it would undermine the economy. But it instead led to the longest economic expansion in U.S. history, with the creation of 23 million new jobs, and resulting in a budget surplus.

Personally, I'd prefer to get back the type of economy we had in the Clinton years, rather than the economic devastation of the Bush years.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Re: Who would you trust on the economy?

Postby andysinnh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:30 am

I was waiting for this one to come up, and I think that if you followed some of my earlier threads, I have a distinct impression about Ms Fiorina from her previous activities in the business world. If there was any hope that McCain was hoping to grab any of the repubs/dems that are more middle-of the-road, I'm not sure that she'd be helping to pick up those voters. Sigh....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby platypusman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:54 am

andysinnh wrote:I was waiting for this one to come up, and I think that if you followed some of my earlier threads, I have a distinct impression about Ms Fiorina from her previous activities in the business world. If there was any hope that McCain was hoping to grab any of the repubs/dems that are more middle-of the-road, I'm not sure that she'd be helping to pick up those voters. Sigh....

Andy I would have to say HPQ has more to do. Looking at HPQ with repsect to IBM I am quite dismayed in the situation. Look at the following metrics from today's Yahoo.

The columns are HPQ and IBM

Gross Margin (ttm): 24.61% 42.85%
EBITDA (ttm): 12.85B 921.90B
Oper Margins (ttm): 9.02% 15.79%
Net Income (ttm): 8.13B 11.40B
EPS (ttm): 3.087 8.113

The EPS needs work.
platypusman

Postby andysinnh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:10 am

platypusman wrote:
andysinnh wrote:I was waiting for this one to come up, and I think that if you followed some of my earlier threads, I have a distinct impression about Ms Fiorina from her previous activities in the business world. If there was any hope that McCain was hoping to grab any of the repubs/dems that are more middle-of the-road, I'm not sure that she'd be helping to pick up those voters. Sigh....

Andy I would have to say HPQ has more to do. Looking at HPQ with repsect to IBM I am quite dismayed in the situation. Look at the following metrics from today's Yahoo.

The columns are HPQ and IBM

Gross Margin (ttm): 24.61% 42.85%
EBITDA (ttm): 12.85B 921.90B
Oper Margins (ttm): 9.02% 15.79%
Net Income (ttm): 8.13B 11.40B
EPS (ttm): 3.087 8.113

The EPS needs work.

Dude - compare the numbers from back when Ms Fiorina was at the help - much improvement since she was relieved of her duty...
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Return to National Politics