How would you control new drilling?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

If you were to support expanded offshore drilling, would you:

Support unbounded and unrestricted leasing of offshore tracts for drilling
33%
Support limited locations for expanded offshore drilling, as determined by the US government
No votes
Support limited locations for expanded offshore drilling, as determined by the oil companies
22%
Support very limited locations after individual approval, per tract, each time
22%
I don't support any offshore drilling expansion
22%

Total votes : 9

How would you control new drilling?

Postby andysinnh » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Ok, folks. I'm giving a shot here for our conservative friends to convince me you're not as "Back to the Future Biff-esque" as I think you might be.

I've created a poll just to see where we stand. And if you'd care to comment as a reply here, that'd be great to help clarify your responsel

This is an honest poll with a desire for honest opinions.... Not a joke...

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Re: How would you control new drilling?

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:21 pm

I don't believe there is great danger here. It is in the oil companies' best interests to operate in a safe manner.
platypusman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:22 pm

andysinnh

Support unbounded and unrestricted leasing of offshore tracts for drilling

That sounds extreme don't you think?

Support limited locations for expanded offshore drilling, as determined by the US government

Why limited locations? Who decides what "limited" means and why? And this would equate to the government controlling oil companies

Support limited locations for expanded offshore drilling, as determined by the oil companies

This idea wouldn't work

Support very limited locations after individual approval, per tract, each time

Too cumbersome and limiting considering it takes years from the time an oil company applies for a lease up to the time it's granted.

I don't support any offshore drilling expansion

Considering that the oil companies already have 4,000 oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico that would be a ridiculous reason.

The best solution is to let the oil companies with the USGS determine where the best potentials lie for drilling as much oil as possible iin one site and then decide if the sites are environmentally safe and worth exploring and then allow the government to approve an oil lease.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:31 pm

People need to be aware of this:

The Mineral Leasing Act (for onshore production): Section 17(e) stipulates that an oil company must have a producing well within 10 years or surrender the leases. Source: 30 U.S.C. 226(e)

Energy companies cannot “stockpile” leases (even the ones that are found to contain no oil or gas) in order to drive up prices so we need offshore drilling now. We need to remove the Democrats who will not allowing drilling!
platypusman

Postby imike24 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:55 pm

imike24

Postby platypusman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:52 pm

Those on the left seem to have problems understanding concepts that do not fit their radical agendas.
platypusman

Postby andysinnh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:28 pm

platypusman wrote:Those on the left seem to have problems understanding concepts that do not fit their radical agendas.

Left this, radical that. Actually, Jeannine gave information in her response that actually would have selected option 2, not option 1. Once she included the US geological survey and working with oil companies, it became a government sponsored activity, meaning that you wouldn't get "willy nilly" driling wherever the oil companies wanted to.

Face it folks - even though you want "less gov't" and "dump those idiotic liberals" - some level of regulation is important - even though you won't admit it in an open forum.

Platy - you need a vacation or something... :lol:
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby TCF » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:00 pm

Obama said today "We must end the age of oil in our time."

America is great because her people are free, and that freedom allows America's people to be great. It allows them to become extraordinary from the ordinary. Liberty allows the American people to achieve their full potential. Americans cannot fulfill that potential, if they are weighed down in high taxes, smothering regulations, artificially created economic hardship. I say artificially created because everybody who is serious knows that if we'd open up areas of this country in offshore to exploration, if we'd make use of our massive coal resources to supply us with electricity, our energy prices would drop substantially. Everybody knows it. And look at the jobs that would be created. In the process, it would drive down the cost of virtually everything else in our society.

You want to get rid of oil, fine. What are you going to pay to get produce to the grocery store? What are you going to use and how much is it going to cost? This is absurd, It would also, by drilling wherever, using more coal, being a full-fledged proponent of the greatness that this country owes to its energy use and exploration, it would help revive the airline and automobile industries, it would provide relief to truckers, it would basically stimulate economic growth and expansion in ways that are incalculable. And here's Obama with a so-called energy plan, not one thing about his energy plan will reduce fuel prices, nor will it expand supplies, nothing. There's nothing about his plan that will grow the economy. There is nothing in his plan that provides the energy for growth which the American people, all desirous of the American dream, not only demand, they expect.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby RD » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:08 pm

TCF wrote:What are you going to pay to get produce to the grocery store?

I support local New Hampshire farmers. Where do you live? Florida, right? Perhaps you may want to try supporting your local farmers too.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby TCF » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 pm

What a brilliant man you are.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 am

TCF

What a brilliant man you are.

Isn't he though? Checking IP Addresses is his specialty and if your IP Address isn't local then he wants to ban you from posting here. I bet he's a supporter of that Democrat Fairness Doctrine. The fact that he doesn't livei n Merrimack anymore is apparently OK though. That's the mind of a liberal for you.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Return to National Politics