Obama flip-flops again

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Obama flip-flops again

Postby platypusman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:33 pm

This guy changes his mind more often than the sun rises!

Obama shifts, says he may back offshore drilling
Aug 1, 7:40 PM (ET)

By MIKE GLOVER

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Friday he would be willing to support limited additional offshore oil drilling if that's what it takes to enact a comprehensive policy to foster fuel-efficient autos and develop alternate energy sources.

Shifting from his previous opposition to expanded offshore drilling, the Illinois senator told a Florida newspaper he could get behind a compromise with Republicans and oil companies to prevent gridlock over energy.
User avatar
platypusman
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby andysinnh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Wow, Platy. All of your harping that people should get on board with your "drill, drill, and keep drilling" mantra - someone comes on and you're upset about it? Sounds like he's modifying his position just about as much as McCain has recently. Yep, gonna be an interesting election.

Of course, when Obama changes his mind it's a "flip, flop" - when McCain does, it's "improving his position"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby TCF » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 pm

A quote from Obama, and to think he changed or flip flopped. For the life of me I can't understand why. I am going to have my tires inflated and car tuned tomorrow at Tire Town and watch the gas prices start falling. But there is HOPE, and of Course Change.
I HOPE I can afford to CHANGE my tires so that I can do my part in solving this oil crisis like Obama says. See what a Harvard education gets you. What a brilliant man.

OBAMA: "We could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling, if everybody was just inflating their tires and -- and -- and getting regular tune-ups, you can actually save just as much".
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Tire Town is the best

Postby RD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:23 pm

TCF wrote:I am going to have my tires inflated and car tuned tomorrow at Tire Town

Smart move. Tire Town is one of the best places around. Chris is one of the few truly ethical mechanics I've ever dealt with. He's the best. I cannot recommend Tire Town highly enough. I have ALL of my (and my family's) auto work done at Tire Town.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby TCF » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:27 pm

See RD, we can come together and agree on something. I have been going there since they first opened, I don't know 20 to 30 years. Change is happening, their is Hope.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby RD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:53 pm

TCF wrote:See RD, we can come together and agree on something.

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. I have no idea who you are.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby Wayne » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:00 pm

andysinnh wrote:Wow, Platy. All of your harping that people should get on board with your "drill, drill, and keep drilling" mantra - someone comes on and you're upset about it? Sounds like he's modifying his position just about as much as McCain has recently. Yep, gonna be an interesting election.

This bipartisan proposal from the so-called "gang of 10" seems to have a lot of promise. Both sides are giving up something, and both sides are getting something. That's what compromise is all about, and I hope it leads to some progress for a change. I'm glad to see Obama thinking about signing up - rather than a flip-flop it's just being open to new ideas that come along. Thing McCain will do the same?
Wayne
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:47 am
Location: Merrimack

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:37 am

Obama is a consummate politician. He feasts on the largess of special interests and will change positions at the drop of a hat depending of prevailing public opinion. He would be very dangerous if placed in a position of ultimate authority.
User avatar
platypusman
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:51 am

Wayne

This bipartisan proposal from the so-called "gang of 10" seems to have a lot of promise. Both sides are giving up something, and both sides are getting something. That's what compromise is all about, and I hope it leads to some progress for a change. I'm glad to see Obama thinking about signing up - rather than a flip-flop it's just being open to new ideas that come along. Thing McCain will do the same?


These compromises actually accomplish very little. You get a little bit of both sides and not much use for the average American. Obama gave a press conference this morning and now he thinkg he my be in favor of limited drilling offshore. HA! Who's flopping around like a beached tuna now?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:26 am

I see, so you're against any kind of bipartisan compromise. McCain flipped in May on drilling for no apparent reason other than pandering, but when Obama expresses a willingness to compromise then you would agree with that anon that this indicates Obama 'feasts on the largess of special interests"? I bet Sybil could respond better than I... :D
Wayne
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:47 am
Location: Merrimack

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:35 am

Wayne

Obama is only flip flopping on drilling because he is dropping in the polls. McCain was in favor of drilling when he realized the price of oil was causing economic hardships which didn't phase Obama in the least because he didn't want to lose his eco-freak voters.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby andysinnh » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Wayne

Obama is only flip flopping on drilling because he is dropping in the polls. McCain was in favor of drilling when he realized the price of oil was causing economic hardships which didn't phase Obama in the least because he didn't want to lose his eco-freak voters.

You say po-tA-to - I say po-taa-to - face it Jeannnine, neither one is sticking to their guns here.

Frankly, when I start thinking about Platy's "drill now, drill often, drill everywhere" mantra, I start thinking about the "alternate 1985" in Hill Valley, CA with Biffco and all of the out of control industrial activities during the second Back to the Future movies. Energy independence is a nice thing - but do we really want to start drilling in everyone's back yard for oil? Hey - I'm not an "eco-freak" as you describe, but I am concerned about throwing all of this caution to the wind......

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:54 pm

andysinnh

Energy independence is a nice thing - but do we really want to start drilling in everyone's back yard for oil?


Who said anything about drilling in backyards? And who called you an eco-freak? Drilling offshore is the right thing to do
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby andysinnh » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:00 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:andysinnh

Energy independence is a nice thing - but do we really want to start drilling in everyone's back yard for oil?


Who said anything about drilling in backyards? And who called you an eco-freak? Drilling offshore is the right thing to do

Jeannine - you missed the point. Once you start to expand drilling and trying to reach independence, where do you stop? Today you support drilling in other offshore locations. But what if they come up empty? Or there's some disaster that takes out a rig and pushes away from offshore anything? Would you support more on-shore activities? And in what locations? In many ways, it's a very slippery slope once you start to let some things happen - you set the precedent for future actions. Actually I didn't say you called me an eco-freak - but you do seem to categorize people who don't want to expand the current drilling locations beyond existing leases as having their heads in the sand, so to speak. Knee-jerk reactions like this are never good...
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: Obama flip-flops again

Postby platypusman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:04 pm

Andy I believe your position on this is naive at best. Please look into the cost and feasibility of alternative sources of energy. There are no ‘magic bullets’ that can replace oil. If anyone tells you there, they are silly. We need oil for the foreseeable future so why not drill here and reduce the dollars we export to the Arabs and Chavez
User avatar
platypusman
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Next

Return to National Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron