"The One"

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: "The One"

Postby RBarnes » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:39 am

Michael Thompson wrote:Rick,

Outside of the mags, which Obama isn't the one printing. Can you show me were Obama has used any of the pictures your reference?

The header on his own website...

Obama standing in clouds in a white shining suit, a glow seeming to come from his body and "I'm asking you to believe." in bold stark lettering. That's right on the very top of BarackObama.com.

Then his page has images like this one...

McCain calling him on something he's blatant about on his own website is not something I consider bad form in the least. Obama opened this door wide all by himself!
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Michael Thompson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:31 am

RBarnes wrote:
Michael Thompson wrote:Rick,

Outside of the mags, which Obama isn't the one printing. Can you show me were Obama has used any of the pictures your reference?

The header on his own website...

Obama standing in clouds in a white shining suit, a glow seeming to come from his body and "I'm asking you to believe." in bold stark lettering. That's right on the very top of BarackObama.com.

Then his page has images like this one...

McCain calling him on something he's blatant about on his own website is not something I consider bad form in the least. Obama opened this door wide all by himself!

So none of the ones you listed are being used by Obama, even though you make a leading statement to have others think he was using the pictures you referenced.

As for the one on his site, doesn't have a halo over his head, no shining light. It isn't like he is floating above the clouds. I see no issue with this picture.

I also see no issue with McCain's on his site:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Iss ... 3f11d8.htm

About halfway down, next to his wife, smiling, beams of light behind him. Oh he must have such a perfect life.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby RBarnes » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:46 am

Mike, my comment was the he makes himself out as "the one". I think it's a fairly accurate statement. The banner graphic on his site alone supports what I've said here. His statements (as used in the McCain ad, his own graphics, pictures and magazine covers others have put out)... it's a clear pattern.

McCain pointed out a fair critic of Obama and how he and others present him.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby RD » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 am

RBarnes wrote:Mike, my comment was the he makes himself out as "the one". I think it's a fairly accurate statement.

Actually, if you talk to Obama, you will find that this is not true. It is McCain who makes Obama out to be "the one." Personally I think this hurts McCain.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:43 am

Rd

Personally I think this hurts McCain.

As if you're objective. It doesn't hurt McCain because most people (even Democrats) are seeing this messiah complex.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Michael Thompson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:13 pm

RBarnes wrote:Mike, my comment was the he makes himself out as "the one". I think it's a fairly accurate statement. The banner graphic on his site alone supports what I've said here. His statements (as used in the McCain ad, his own graphics, pictures and magazine covers others have put out)... it's a clear pattern.

McCain pointed out a fair critic of Obama and how he and others present him.

Rick, you presented pictures to back up your leading statement that Obama was himself presenting as if he was "the one". Not true the media is. As for Obama's statements, on of context.

As for McCain's ad, I think it crosses a line. No reference to issues.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby RBarnes » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:40 pm

Michael Thompson wrote:Rick, you presented pictures to back up your leading statement that Obama was himself presenting as if he was "the one". Not true the media is.

Based on the header graphic from Obama's own website with the text "I'm asking you to believe" I'll have to just disagree and say some of this over the topness is coming directly from Obama himself.

But regardless of where it is originating from, there is an over the topness being put out about Obama with very holier then thou qualities to it. Pointing a finger at it and saying look at this (as McCain is doing) doesn't make McCain look bad at all. It's simply pointing out a truth. Obama's coverage has been over the top.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby Michael Thompson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:07 pm

RBarnes wrote:
Michael Thompson wrote:Rick, you presented pictures to back up your leading statement that Obama was himself presenting as if he was "the one". Not true the media is.

Based on the header graphic from Obama's own website with the text "I'm asking you to believe" I'll have to just disagree and say some of this over the topness is coming directly from Obama himself.

But regardless of where it is originating from, there is an over the topness being put out about Obama with very holier then thou qualities to it. Pointing a finger at it and saying look at this (as McCain is doing) doesn't make McCain look bad at all. It's simply pointing out a truth. Obama's coverage has been over the top.

So you agree that the original set of pictures are not presented by Obama.

I don't think that Obama is being over the top, the media may be running with it. McCain's video is not the straight talk that he states, I'm sure Moveon could make a video of McCain saying similiar things and put it in the same light. However I would states that it is just the same old politics as usual. Similiar to what Bush did to McCain in 2000.

When I think over the top and holier then thou, I think of Bush when he stated that God spoke to him and said that the Iraq war was just.
Michael Thompson

Postby RBarnes » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Michael Thompson wrote:When I think over the top and holier then thou, I think of Bush when he stated that God spoke to him and said that the Iraq war was just.

And if the democrats put that clip into a similar ad as they did to Obama in "the one" ad, I would likewise see nothing wrong with that either.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby RD » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:52 pm

RBarnes wrote:Based on the header graphic from Obama's own website with the text "I'm asking you to believe"

He's not asking us to believe in just his abliity, but in our own ability to affect change for the better. That's a message that resonates with me, and with many other Americans.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:17 pm

RD

He's not asking us to believe in just his abliity, but in our own ability to affect change for the better. That's a message that resonates with me, and with many other Americans.

Ok Rd - what exactly can you do to affect the change? For the better? HA!

The only thing that would be better would be if they cut spending and had term limits. You're falling for pie in the sky crap. Look how quickly these politicians turn when they think they might be losing. They're all the same.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby andysinnh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:RD

Ok Rd - what exactly can you do to affect the change? For the better? HA!

The only thing that would be better would be if they cut spending and had term limits. You're falling for pie in the sky crap. Look how quickly these politicians turn when they think they might be losing. They're all the same.

If the repubs were willing to cut military spending, and as such have more $$$$ in the coffers for other things, we wouldn't have the situation we're in now with the gov'd needing more revenues.

Two way street, folks.
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:33 pm

andy

Cutting military spending doesn't ease our dependency on foreign oil which is the entire point of offshore drilling.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:13 am

RD wrote:
RBarnes wrote:Based on the header graphic from Obama's own website with the text "I'm asking you to believe"

RD, what you are talking about is individual responsibility. I can agree with that. We should have more individual responsibility and less reliance on government.

Only problem I see with your claim here is Obama record does not support what you are claiming. His record is one of government dependence. His solutions are government taking care of people rather then putting responsibility on them to care for themselves. His record is the complete opposite of your claim.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby RBarnes » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:18 am

andysinnh wrote:If the repubs were willing to cut military spending, and as such have more $$$$ in the coffers for other things, we wouldn't have the situation we're in now with the gov'd needing more revenues.

Two way street, folks.

Andy while I'm sure there is room in the federal military budget to cut I don't agree it's the silver bullet you think it is. Democrats who think it is are fooled by the out right LIE of the Ben and Jerry's pie chart and they mistakingly believe that 50% or more of the budget is military.

That's just FALSE!

The largest part of the federal budget is entitlement programs. Military only makes up 19.4% of the total budget.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/w ... aying.html

So while I agree with you we should look to cut military spending where possible, I think you need to widen your eyes and push your own party to cut other areas as well.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics