McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby andysinnh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:08 am

So this morning I read an article in CNN/TIME that talked about McCain offering a potential 16 month timetable for withdrawl from Iraq, with some caveats around it. Some might consider this a "flip flop" over his "no timetable" statements before - depending on your point of view. But it got me thinking about what other flip-flops McCain has done, sort of as a response to Platy's and Guess's continual barrage of Obama attacks in this forum. I stumbled across this obviously partisan web site, but it has a very interesting list of "flip flops" by McCain over a period of time - so in the editorial mode of "fairness", here's a link to the list of "flip-flops" by McCain for your interest. I'll insert the header in here so you have a context of the source (again, partisan - but, hey, when have posts by others here NOT been partisan :D ).

Enjoy - andy

http://www.bi30.org/wordpress/flipflopper.htm

Courtesy of "Mugsy's Rap Sheet"
(last updated: 7/29/08)

(Contact us with your tips/corrections: mugsy@bi30.org)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republican Presidential candidate Senator John McCain has become a Gaffe Machine since hitting the campaign trail last year. As the November election nears, the frequency and severity of his gaffes & flip-flops has grown to the point where I felt it necessary to have a MASTER LIST (with confirming links) of the multitude of missteps coming out of the McCain campaign, all in one place. Seeing as what a big deal Republicans made out of Senator John Kerry's supposed "flip-flops" during the 2004 Presidential race, it only seems fair that we pay attention when their nominee for 2008 does the same thing.

Senator McCain alone is responsible for what comes out of his mouth, so in the interest of sheer manageability, I do not list "gaffes" or "flip flops" made on his behalf by campaign surrogates (such as Phil Gramm's infamous "nation of whinners" comment). I *did* include one comment by the Senator's wife Cindy, only because she criticized someone for saying something similar to what her own husband said. I *will*, from time to time, include links to outside sources of such campaign gaffes.

I add items to the list as I find them or when you tell me about ones I missed, with corresponding links and credit to the site and/or person providing the item in question. I am continually working to improve the graphics and readability of the index, but with the gaffes flying at the rate of one new gaffe every other day, the list is growing SO fast, I barely have time to work on esthetics . I will update this index, adding past gaffes as I find them, as I continue to work on making it look nice.

Note: Mistakes are bound to happen maintaining such a huge list, so on the off-chance you catch the rare error, please let me know immediately. Thanks - Mugsy.

Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Never mind the flip-flopping - I just love (and extremely frustrarted) that the current administration and John McCain have taken every last one of Obama's ideas and have implimented them and made them their own! Amazing how that works.

And.... at the same time still, continuing to point out that Obama is inexperienced and nieve.

Fasinating - don't you think?
Sybil Spence Rocca
 

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Sybil

Never mind the flip-flopping - I just love (and extremely frustrarted) that the current administration and John McCain have taken every last one of Obama's ideas and have implimented them and made them their own! Amazing how that works.


Exactly which ideas are those? To drill offshore? To send more troops to Afghanistan (which is already being done)? The only ideas he has of his own are to raise taxes and not give credit that the surge has worked. I read an interesting article about what the Iraqis think of Obama.


http://www.nypost.com/seven/07292008/po ... htm?page=0
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:02 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Sybil

Never mind the flip-flopping - I just love (and extremely frustrarted) that the current administration and John McCain have taken every last one of Obama's ideas and have implimented them and made them their own! Amazing how that works.


Exactly which ideas are those? To drill offshore? To send more troops to Afghanistan (which is already being done)? The only ideas he has of his own are to raise taxes and not give credit that the surge has worked. I read an interesting article about what the Iraqis think of Obama.


http://www.nypost.com/seven/07292008/po ... htm?page=0


Whatever you say there tough girl! I don't care anymore! I know what's up. I know what is true. I'm not going to just sit back and read this crap any longer and if I feel like posting, I will.
Sybil Spence Rocca
 

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Image
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby Wayne » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:11 pm

Sybil Spence Rocca wrote: I don't care anymore! I know what's up. I know what is true. I'm not going to just sit back and read this crap any longer and if I feel like posting, I will.

I like your style! 8)
Wayne
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:47 am
Location: Merrimack

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby Wayne » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 pm

I won't begrudge McCain for changing his mind on subjects, he's has that right, even though the inconsistency is a little disconcerting.

But the flip that bothers me most is how negative he has gone after his earlier promise to run a positive campaign. I thought we were going to have a cordial campaign for a change. Statistics show this is not just our imagination:
The Wisconsin Advertising Project, a nonpartisan group that monitors and analyzes political advertising, finds that ads aired by McCain and the Republican National Committee are "more negative" than those aired by Obama. Ninety percent of Obama's ads are positive and don't mention McCain. One third of McCain's campaign ads are negative, researchers found.

And all of the RNC's ads compare the two candidates, referring to Obama negatively, the research group says.
...

McCain's Political Ads Go Negative Against Obama
Wayne
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:47 am
Location: Merrimack

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby RD » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:38 pm

The Wisconsin Advertising Project, a nonpartisan group that monitors and analyzes political advertising, finds that ads aired by McCain and the Republican National Committee are "more negative" than those aired by Obama. Ninety percent of Obama's ads are positive and don't mention McCain. One third of McCain's campaign ads are negative, researchers found.
...

Interesting; it seems the same statistics apply right here on this forum.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby andysinnh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Now McCain is continuing his negative ads, comparing Obama to some celebrities (Brittney, Paris). This article talks about possible negative ramifications by going so negative. I didn't expect McCain to match some of the negative approaches shown by some in this forum. Will be interesting to see how this pans out for him.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25937943/
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby RD » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:59 pm

andysinnh wrote:Now McCain is continuing his negative ads, comparing Obama to some celebrities (Brittney, Paris). This article talks about possible negative ramifications by going so negative. I didn't expect McCain to match some of the negative approaches shown by some in this forum. Will be interesting to see how this pans out for him.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25937943/

I can't believe McCain would do this after what Bush and Rove did to him in 2000. I guess he'd rather win the presidency than stick to his word, and what he said were his principles.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:20 pm

RD

I can't believe McCain would do this after what Bush and Rove did to him in 2000. I guess he'd rather win the presidency than stick to his word, and what he said were his principles.


If he were spreading lies or mistruths then yes I would agree. What isn't true in the ad? I guess Obama's ads against McCain are ok with you? I've seen a few of those as well. It's politics RD! IF you can't handle it without losing your mind then maybe you need to ignore the next few months of politics. It's going to get rough as it always does.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby andysinnh » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:13 am

I saw one of the ads this morning. It straight ou says "Who's to blame for higher gas prices?" and the photo is of Obama and the background has the chant "O-ba-ma, O-ba-ma,.... ". Straight out says he's the one to blame. I certainly wouldn't call it "right". Sort of like saying of McCain "Who's responsible for the deaths of 4000 americans in the Iraq war?" - "Mc-Cain, Mc-Cain..." Would be the same thing from an overall policy standpoint - but I haven't seen that ad run yet. So define "right"?
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:36 am

The reason they use negative ads is because they work.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/ar ... calads.htm

"But negativity may be more effective than previously thought. In fact, according to a new study, attack ads can sway voters even when they're planning to support the other guy."
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby Michael Thompson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:58 am

RBarnes wrote:The reason they use negative ads is because they work.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/ar ... calads.htm

"But negativity may be more effective than previously thought. In fact, according to a new study, attack ads can sway voters even when they're planning to support the other guy."


So does breaking a foes leg that you are about to run a race against. Fortunately this isn't tolerated. Nor should the negative ads, from either side.

I think I will blame this on the Education system. :D
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: McCain begins to match Obama with "flip flops"

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:06 am

Michael Thompson wrote:
RBarnes wrote:The reason they use negative ads is because they work.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/ar ... calads.htm

"But negativity may be more effective than previously thought. In fact, according to a new study, attack ads can sway voters even when they're planning to support the other guy."


So does breaking a foes leg that you are about to run a race against. Fortunately this isn't tolerated. Nor should the negative ads, from either side.

I think I will blame this on the Education system. :D


LOL, damn educators! Always up to no good! :lol:

Thing is though, breaking a foes' leg isn't legal. That's assault. Running a negative ad is legal and it's protected free speech. And while we all bitch and complain that we don't like them, like Pavlovian dogs we respond to them. And as long as we keep salivating when the bell goes off politicians will continue ringing it to get the response they want.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Next

Return to National Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron