2> No
45%
3> Hell no it's not fair!
5%

Total votes : 22

Re: Poll Do you Support Obama's SS Plan

Postby RBarnes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Wayne wrote:
RBarnes wrote:This same cycle can be found over and over and over again in US history. Salaries driven up by the Unions create conditions in the US were it is cheaper to manufacture products over seas now leaving many out of work. Again and again we drive up the price to "fix" a problem and we find ourselves continually driving away jobs.

I don't think I understand - are you saying that if salaries were kept real low that none of the globalization would have happened and we'd all be better off? I have to disagree, in that we were definitely not going to be able to manufacture products as cheaply as offshore. As for high tech, I think the internet let the genie out of the bottle. With people suddenly able to supply technical labor from anywhere in the world, the U.S. lost its huge advantage and became just one of the herd. We still have the opportunity to provide superior innovative work, but that's not gonna happen without an effort.

If there are good things to come out of the rise in energy prices, one of them is that transportation costs for goods have risen as well, and local suppliers of goods have become much more attractive.

In part by increasing the salaries with rising minimum wage etc we have taken out the bottom end which still exists in other countries. That's what did off some of our less skilled jobs.

You may be right to some degree with IT however the off shores programmers would still need the training to be viable. We provided that which only helped speed up the process of destroying many US IT jobs. There will always be a need for local hardware support and desktop troubleshooting but we trained other countries to take over our higher skilled programming jobs which can as you said be done anywhere.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Here's something I heard this week.

My sister is a director of operations at a large insurance company in NH. She told me that she is only allowed to hire IT people to work for her that come from India. And yes, they are working here in the US not over the internet in another country.

Does anyone happen to know why this is happening? My sister didn't seem very happy about being told who to hire.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby andysinnh » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:10 am

Jeannine - I haven't heard of this before. I know that in larger IT-based companies, they typically have a "branch" in India (or another country) where they outsource certain work to that branch, and those individuals work as part of a geographically-dispersed team (meaning that certain functions are outsourced within an overall project). The real key is the reduced headcount cost for those remote individuals outside of the US. In all of those situations, if a person is in the US (regardless of their heritage, color, race, etc) the headcount cost is calculated like any other US-based employee - so the cost savings don't come into play in that scenario. Perhaps, however, the "loophole" is that those resources, while resident in the US, are paid out of the foreign "branch" at the lower rate. It could be that - but I'm not sure... But it does sound strange just at the face value of what you've posted...
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Michael Thompson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:01 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Here's something I heard this week.

My sister is a director of operations at a large insurance company in NH. She told me that she is only allowed to hire IT people to work for her that come from India. And yes, they are working here in the US not over the internet in another country.

Does anyone happen to know why this is happening? My sister didn't seem very happy about being told who to hire.

This is sad, I don't know why a company would take this position.

It would be hard for me to work for a company that would do such a thing.

http://www.labor.state.nh.us/
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby GregRS » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:37 am

As Andy stated, it has been common practice in recent years to farm out jobs to India, because you could hire at a 5:1 ratio. However, I'm not sure what they're thinking here. Perhaps they are under the impression that someone from India will work for less? Or, perhaps they think that this type of person is smarter than the typical US IT person? I wonder if the company is planning to move the operation to India, and by having Indian IT personnel, the decision may generate less complaints. It would be interesting to get a formal response from the company. Is it a public or private company?

On the flipside, many companies set standards for hiring. At our company, we have hiring restrictions based on the school you attend. Sometimes it's frustrating; I can find many candidates who could be very good software engineers; however, because they didn't get their degree from MIT, Princeton or one of our top listed institutions, I'm not permitted to make an offer or even invite them to an interview.
GregRS

Postby andysinnh » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:15 am

GregRS wrote:On the flipside, many companies set standards for hiring. At our company, we have hiring restrictions based on the school you attend. Sometimes it's frustrating; I can find many candidates who could be very good software engineers; however, because they didn't get their degree from MIT, Princeton or one of our top listed institutions, I'm not permitted to make an offer or even invite them to an interview.

Greg - Wow. While not surprising, it's sad that this level of "discrimination" exists today. Having had to help our kids make decisions on where they/we can afford to attend school, it's sad to think that certain companies will lock-out qualified candidates just because of where they went....

And to Platy - if this is the "free market" that you describe - then it is creating a certain level of "class warfare" already. Companies allowed to discriminate their hiring based on educational institution (which, BTW, is strictly driven by money available to the student) is just making this divide wider. And before you go on to talk about scholarships and diversity programs within those schools - there's a HUGE block of comfortable-living families who might have a level of money to help kids attend college. But these same families make "too much" to qualify for "need" scholarships or government subsidized financia aid, but not enough to be able to afford the huge tuition levels for these schools. So, in many ways, actions like this just make the "class warfare" perpetuate - even without your evil Mr Obama coming on board....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:31 am

Jeannine obviously got whatever her sister was saying wrong!

Why don't you let us know the name of the company your sister works for and we can report that company, as they are breaking the law Jeannine.

This is extremely disturbing to me. I can't imagine that someone would just hear something so illegal and unjust and instead of being outraged by it and reporting it, just casually posting it here on the forum.

This is why I believe Jeannine either wasn't listening to her sister, or didn't hear it right, or something along those lines.

OBAMA is DREAMY!
Sybil Spence Rocca

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 am

Sybil

I heard what my sister said 100% correctly. I will not post the name of the company as it is one of the largest in the US and I will not jeopardize my sister's job.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:02 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Sybil

I heard what my sister said 100% correctly. I will not post the name of the company as it is one of the largest in the US and I will not jeopardize my sister's job.

Maybe you shouldn't have posted this info in the first place then? I'm just saying....
Sybil Spence Rocca

Postby Michael Thompson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Sybil

Jeannine,

I would have to say that in todays technology age almost anyone to get this information.

I would suggest that you state your information and remove any connections from your statements in the future to assist in protecting the individual.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 am

Michael

Jeannine,

I would have to say that in todays technology age almost anyone to get this information.

I would suggest that you state your information and remove any connections from your statements in the future to assist in protecting the individual.

Well - I didn't realize that by posting this information I would expect people to track down my sister. If that's the case then some people really need professional help. There are 12 million illegals running around this country why not concern yourselves about sending them back rather than trying to find out where my sister works? If this isn't a strong argument for why people post as anons then I don't know what is.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Michael Thompson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:50 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Michael

Jeannine,

Well - I didn't realize that by posting this information I would expect people to track down my sister. If that's the case then some people really need professional help. There are 12 million illegals running around this country why not concern yourselves about sending them back rather than trying to find out where my sister works? If this isn't a strong argument for why people post as anons then I don't know what is.

Jeannine, I'm not going to spend anytime tracking down your sister. What makes you think I would do that? WOW what is your issue?

This isn't about illegals, this is about illegal actions by a company. If a company is willing to break the law requiring hiring, I don't think it is a far fetch to think they would fire your sister if they say this forum.

What if one of the anons work with your sister and know she is related to you? Just a thought, but hey I'm obviously not trying to help.
Michael Thompson

Postby Sybil Spence Rocca » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Jeannine,

Don't get this twisted.

No one is tracking your sister down and there is no need for your suggestion that people seek professional help.

You screwed up on this one. You. Just you. No one else. Michael is right. leave personal connections out of your posts if you don't want people to know.

Back to the main topic. Based on what you posted about the company that is only hiring IT's from India - Well, there just has to be more to the story.... :?
Sybil Spence Rocca

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:16 pm

Michael Thompson wrote:

Jeannine,

Jeannine, I'm not going to spend anytime tracking down your sister. What makes you think I would do that? WOW what is your issue?

Mike (and Sybil) I didn't take Jeannine's comments to be about either one of you personally other then responding back to your comments.

We have seen people from this very forum take things to a person level. The person who contacted my employer a few years back in an attempt to try to get me fired comes quickly to mind.

While I wouldn't expect you to do something like that there are clearly people who read this forum who would and in fact have done things like that.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:30 pm

Sybil

You screwed up on this one. You. Just you. No one else. Michael is right. leave personal connections out of your posts if you don't want people to know.

I didn't realize this was a big problem to mention a sister working at a large insurance company. I have a brother that is production supervisor for a large printing company in Boston too. I also have another brother who is in the wholesale food industry. I have no problem in people knowing I have a sister working for an insurance company. I just don't understand why YOU Sybil demanded I reveal the name of the company. I was pointing out that this H1-B visas are out of control in this country.

Sybil said:
Why don't you let us know the name of the company your sister works for and we can report that company, as they are breaking the law Jeannine.

GEESH - a mountain out of a molehill.
Jeannine Stergios

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics