Obama is terribly divisive

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Obama is terribly divisive

Postby platypusman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Beyond his long term membership in a racist church and his very hurtful comments about a “typical white person” he has now offended the black community and was taken to task by Jesse Jackson.

CNN.com

July 9, 2008
Jesse Jackson apologizes for comments critical of Obama
Posted: 03:55 PM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

(CNN) — The Rev. Jesse Jackson issued an apology to Barack Obama Wednesday for criticizing the Illinois senator's recent comments directed toward some members of the black community.

According to Jackson, a Fox News microphone picked up comments he meant to deliver privately that seemed to disparage the presumptive Democratic nominee for appearing to lecture the black community on morality.

"For any harm or hurt that this hot mic private conversation may have caused, I apologize," Jackson said in a statement issued to CNN. "My support for Senator Obama’s campaign is wide, deep and unequivocal. I cherish this redemptive and historical moment."

"My appeal was for the moral content of his message to not only deal with the personal and moral responsibility of black males, but to deal with the collective moral responsibility of government and the public policy which would be a corrective action for the lack of good choices that often led to their irresponsibility," Jackson also said.

"That was the context of my private conversation and it does not reflect any disparagement on my part for the historic event in which we are involved or my pride in Senator Barack Obama, who is leading it, whom I have supported by crisscrossing this nation in every level of media and audience from the beginning in absolute terms."

Over the course of the campaign season, Obama has at times directed criticism directly to the black community, most sharply in a Chicago speech on Father's Day that criticized some men for failing in their duties as parents.

"They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it," Obama said then.

"You and I know how true this is in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled — doubled — since we were children. We know the statistics: that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime, nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison," he also said.
platypusman

Re: Obama is terribly divisive

Postby RD » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:28 pm

There's absolutely nothing divisive in that article. If anything, it's loaded with praise for Obama by Jesse Jackson.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby platypusman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Mr. RD you need to watch the replay. Jackson said of Obama, 'CUT HIS N**S OUT'!
platypusman

Postby Linda Nickerson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:37 pm

I heard a little about this on the NBC News tonight......from what I heard, it's not OBAMA who is divisive, it sounded more like JESSE JACKSON who was spouting off because Obama made a speech/had a discussion/expounded on/whatever about how African American fathers needed to take responsibility for their children instead of leaving it to the mothers/states/federal government.

Just more proof that "Mr. Playty's" "research" is a tad slanted.
Linda Nickerson

Postby platypusman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:49 pm

My research is based on the news of the day. The conclusion is mine and I do strive to be fair in my analysis. In this case, Obama, right or wrong, has provoked a strong response from the black leadership. This divide in the black community has not been seen before Obama's run for the White House. In another case, Shelby Steele claims that Obama muting his message in order to satisfy whites. I see this all as divisive.

http://www.tvoneonline.com/video/defaul ... bandPlayer
platypusman

Postby Linda Nickerson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:53 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25611808/

I think this speaks for itself.....Jackson's own SON said that Mr. Jackson was the divisive one, not Obama.
Linda Nickerson

Postby RD » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:03 pm

platypusman wrote:My research is based on the news of the day.

I can't wait to hear your research based on the news of November 5, 2008. Why do I get the feeling we'll never hear from you again after that date? I can't say I'll be sorry to see you leave our little community, bottom feeder.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby platypusman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:14 pm

RD wrote:
platypusman wrote:My research is based on the news of the day.

I can't wait to hear your research based on the news of November 5, 2008. Why do I get the feeling we'll never hear from you again after that date? I can't say I'll be sorry to see you leave our little community, bottom feeder.

Hey, this kind of talk is not nice!
platypusman

Postby Linda Nickerson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Hey, this kind of talk is not nice!

Neither is your transparent attempt at "research"

Neither is your condenscending attitude to fellow posters

Neither is your cluttering up this forum with flamboyant, inaccurate titles to posts based on your "research"
Linda Nickerson

Postby platypusman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:29 pm

Neither is your transparent attempt at "research"

Believe it or not I am trying to find more out about Obama. This is wise considering he may be the next president and this forum is an excellent vehicle to exchange information and engage in spirited debate.

Neither is your condenscending attitude to fellow posters

Please tell me where I have shown this type of behavior? I try to be civil even when called names or otherwise disparaged.

Neither is your cluttering up this forum with flamboyant, inaccurate titles to posts based on your "research"

Are you saying I cannot post? If my titles are inaccurate, who is to be the judge, are you? If there are inaccuracies within my posts in terms of facts or dates please point this out but don't criticize my conclusions just because you don’t agree.
platypusman

Re: Obama will be the next president

Postby RD » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:46 pm

platypusman wrote:I am trying to find more out about Obama.

Here you go: www.barackobama.com

You should find everything you need there.

BTW, there is plenty to research on McCain at http://www.johnmccain.com, in case you ever plan on "researching" McCain.

You might also notice that there are several references to Obama on McCain's front page (typical Karl Rove tactics), yet no references whatsoever to McCain on Obama's front page. This, again, affirms the conservatives' desparation. Enjoy your research. :)
RD

Postby fog » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:06 pm

platypusman wrote:Believe it or not I am trying to find more out about Obama.

It comes across as if you've already made up your mind against him.

Is it fair to say, then, that you are considering voting for Obama?
Matt.
fog

Postby platypusman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:54 am

fog wrote:
platypusman wrote:Believe it or not I am trying to find more out about Obama.

It comes across as if you've already made up your mind against him.

Is it fair to say, then, that you are considering voting for Obama?

I am still looking into the issues and where the candidates stand on them. Why would you say I am against Obama? In my research on him, I have posted several topics where Obama's positions seem extreme but they are all factual. What I am saying is I am not making a judgement on all of Obama's stances or positions, yes the most extreme I do voice desent but uncovering facts in part of the process to decide who I shall vote for.
platypusman

Postby RD » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:01 am

platypusman wrote:Why would you say I am against Obama?

:lol: You're precious, little right-wing attack-machine hack.
RD

Postby fog » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:06 pm

platypusman wrote:Why would you say I am against Obama?

:roll:

platypusman wrote:In my research on him, I have posted several topics where Obama's positions seem extreme but they are all factual.

Have you ever posted anything about something you liked about him? It seems to me that you made up your mind a long time ago.
Matt.
fog

Next

Return to National Politics