Voters guide?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Voters guide?

Postby tastyratz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:43 pm

I am looking to find some unbiased bio and general issue comparisons for candidates.
Not looking to see who on this forum likes who, looking for straight information to come to my own conclusion on state or especially town information but searching I am coming up dry.

I know I am late to the party but I want to be an educated voter and it's been a BUSY year!
tastyratz

Re: Voters guide?

Postby RBarnes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Tasty,

You can read the bios of several of the candidates running for state rep on the Patch.

One site I personally like is the NH Liberty Alliance. Annually they rate each state rep with a A,B,C,D, F or Constitutional Threat. They are a non bias group made up of republicans, democrats and independents. Last I knew their president was a democrat, not that it matters. They look at every bill that has a roll call vote and tried to categorize it as pro freedom or anti freedom. Some issues like abortion are not rated since both sides claim to have the pro liberty/ freedom vote depending on whether you view it from the woman's view or the unborn's view. Since they only rate those in office none of those running on the Democratic party ticket are listed though.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby mjg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Some links to start off:

Sample ballot lists all of the candidates and questions
Election Guide from Merrimack Patch and contains some high level "bios" of some of the state reps
Ballot questions with text and plain English explanation

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good side-by-side comparison of the state representatives' actual positions or plans once they get in, but will be searching more tonight after work. Also haven't found info on the other candidates - sheriff, attorney etc., but haven't searched hard yet.

edit - thanks RBarnes, will check out libertyalliance
mjg

Postby jjgrady » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:01 pm

If you want a really non partisan guide, try the Nashua Telegraph's website. http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/election2012

Scroll down to the voters guide and once you enter your address, they will bring up all candidates on the ballot in Merrimack. You can indeed make a side by side comparison for each office. Most all of the candidates did respond and answered the same questions.
jjgrady

Postby tastyratz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 pm

excellent answers so far, thank you guys for your responses!
tastyratz

Return to General Town Topics