Midnight Madness

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Midnight Madness

Postby Loon44 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Will The Town of Merrimack allow this Midnight Madness at the outlet mall, with the Wrentham officials not allowing this?

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/wre ... dness.html
Loon44

Re: Midnight Madness

Postby MMK » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Loon44 wrote:Will The Town of Merrimack allow this Midnight Madness at the outlet mall, with the Wrentham officials not allowing this?

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/wre ... dness.html

Merrimack isn't Wrentham. Why would anything involving Wrentham have anything to do with Merrimack?
MMK

Postby Tom Mahon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:53 am

This is the continuation of the Wrentham police chief trying to justify his existence. When in doubt make a gratutitus reference to a Homeland Security threat.

We have no ordinances about hours of operation like they do in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts, nor are there any site plan conditions regarding this. And, we don't need Tax Holidays to try to stimulate retaining business in our state.

We do have a management agreement that deals with special events, traffic and other public safety issues that the MPO has agreed to and abided by. Witness the howls and cries of doom and perdition if we allowed the outlets in. Hasn't happened, has it? So much so that traffic details were curtailed because they were not needed to the extent envisioned by the Grand Opening, even with RibFest. We're dealing with pros here, people, not some under capitalized strip mall store front. The most frequent comment I hear is, "I don't see much traffic going in there." Yet, whenever, I have gone up there, the lot has been at least 3/4 full and there an awful lot of people walking around with bags of merchandise.

The PD is keeping track of calls to the outlets with regard to type and duration. Once we get a reasonable level of data, we can ompare that to Premium Outlets and the estimates of the consultants who prepared the reports for the planning board site review.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby Loon44 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:52 pm

[quote="Tom Mahon"]This is the continuation of the Wrentham police chief trying to justify his existence. When in doubt make a gratutitus reference to a Homeland Security threat.

Wow. Mr. Mahon as a Town elected official you appear to have very little respect for the work of Police Chiefs.
Loon44

Postby Tom Mahon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 am

I do have respect for the work and the effort that they put in. I have seen many news accounts over the last four years regarding that chief's wrangles with the Outlets. It's private property and he is not the owner, so he can't compel them to accede to his desires. He has offered his advice. The Outlets management has declined to accept it.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby joe179 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:24 am

Will The Town of Merrimack allow this Midnight Madness at the outlet mall, with the Wrentham officials not allowing this?

In Wrentham it seems the police want a battery of security cameras with I assume a team of people hired to monitor the videos. The request is based in terrorist paranoia or perhaps some personal agendas from what I heard on the news.... Seems the people that mange the mall are concerned with the added cost and complexity vs their revenues... Seems like a reasonable concern to me given that a terrorist attack on that mall is really a far fetch...

What type of security would you propose for Merrimack? Are there threats of terrorism? Perhaps the mob is planning a heist you never know...

While the 9/11 attacks were simply terrible they were a wakeup call which spawned a cottage industry of anti-terrorist products and services. Some of those products and services are simply "belt and suspender" in their value. We all have to pay for the added security since then. Just look at your airline ticket fees for an example... The Iraq war was another example of a direct result. It almost broke the bank over here, devalued the dollar and impacted the lives of many of our military who were fortunate enough to return home alive. Was it worth it? That is a question many people are debating about...

So I agree with Tom. Stop pulling the terrorist card every time you think we need a camera at every corner or maybe on every tree in the forest. Let's evaluate things based on facts not innuendo. For now, let the folks who are planning to go wild during midnight madness have their fun and decide whether or not they should expose themselves to the ominous threat of an attack as purported by the Wrentham Police Chief...
joe179

Postby Loon44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:44 pm

I didn't see where a Terrorist Attack was named as a primary concern. What was suggested is that the camera's are vehicle to solve crime's. There was some kind of holdup by gun in one of the stores, and their detectives at the PD spent 500 or more hours solving a crime that could have been solved with video survaillance in far shorter time.
Loon44

Postby joe179 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:42 am

From the Boston Globe:

...Police have said that last year’s Midnight Madness event was “relatively incident-free,” but that the large crowds make the outlets a potential “soft target” for terrorists...

'Nuf said...
joe179

Postby Loon44 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:16 am

ocal police have been pushing since at least the beginning of the year for the mall to install security cameras, citing both massive Midnight Madness crowds and crimes like shoplifting and armed robbery that have occurred at other times of the year.

“If you’re here from a store tonight, this is for your safety,” Wrentham police Detective Lieutenant William McGrath told the meeting. “This is only about your safety. There’s no money in our pockets. There’s no money for the town.

Police respond to several calls a day on the weekends and several more throughout the week, and they don’t currently have surveillance footage — which police say is “an industry-standard tool” — to help them solve crimes.

Police say most calls to the mall are for shoplifting, but more serious crimes like armed robbery and abductions have occurred. The mall, police say, attracts gang members who engage in organized theft and resell items on the black market.

Police have said that last year’s Midnight Madness event was “relatively incident-free,” but that the large crowds make the outlets a potential “soft target” for terrorists.

Mall officials initially resisted the idea of cameras, saying that past Midnight Madness events have gone smoothly, and arguing that the issue of whether to install cameras should be separate from whether the mall is allowed to open early on the day after Thanksgiving.

“We’ve been accused of using Midnight Madness as leverage, and I think we are, but it’s legitimate leverage,” McGrath said. “It is the most busy day of the year. It’s the day when we’re most vulnerable for something to go wrong.”
Loon44

Postby worksintown » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:58 pm

joe179 wrote:From the Boston Globe:

...Police have said that last year’s Midnight Madness event was “relatively incident-free,” but that the large crowds make the outlets a potential “soft target” for terrorists...

'Nuf said...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10 ... scene?lite

Stuff happens every day folks so are we ever too safe? We have enough "terrorists" in our own country never mind from or associated with others.
worksintown

Postby David McCray » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:12 am

Tom, appreciate your stand on this issue. We live in a crazy world and if we worried about everything that might happen we would all be living in underground caves run by the government. There are alot more things to worry about than Moonlight madness
David McCray

Postby mort » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 pm

When I saw this subject line I thought this was going to be a discussion on college basketball...! :lol:
mort

Return to General Town Topics