NO EXCUSE FOR PEER ABUSE

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: NO EXCUSE FOR PEER ABUSE

Postby lynn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:12 pm

"Bullying is a school issue and should be handled by the school board"

your original email was asking why ask the town for their support when he should be going to the school.
my point was not all bullying is related to the school and Dave was looking for more wide-spread support
for his endeavor.

from my understanding, and I am sure Dave will correct me if I am wrong, Dave is not asking the "Town"
to take this on. I thought he was planning on organizing this himself.

Since all I was pointing out was that Bullying was not just a school issue, so having the school have a policy
did not address non-school bullying. And since I have no first hand knowledge of what
Dave is doing - I am bowing out of this discussion
lynn

Postby RBarnes » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:43 pm

lynn wrote:"Bullying is a school issue and should be handled by the school board"

your original email was asking why ask the town for their support when he should be going to the school.
my point was not all bullying is related to the school and Dave was looking for more wide-spread support
for his endeavor.

I understand this but outside of school there aren't any legal teeth to do anything and in Dave's original post he specifically pointed out school examples. Since we are discussing children it just makes more sense to me that the school board would be the place to go, not the town council.

from my understanding, and I am sure Dave will correct me if I am wrong, Dave is not asking the "Town"
to take this on. I thought he was planning on organizing this himself.

He went before the board and asked for a vote. That is asking the town to do something even if he is doing it himself.

http://merrimack.patch.com/articles/for ... t-bullying

I'm not trying to cut Dave down here so don't take it that way. I'm curious as to the reasoning he went to the council and not the school board and I'm concerned about the legality and costs associated with this.
If he's doing it himself then I'm sure there wouldn't be a cost but who is answering the hotline?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby David McCray » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:13 pm

lynn wrote:let's say little Billy calls up the hotline the town set up and says little Jim in his math class is bullying him.

lets ask the question this way

let's say little Billy calls up the hotline the town set up and says little Jim at the YMCA is bullying him.

or
let's say little Billy calls up the hotline the town set up and says little Jim on his MYA team is bullying him.

or
let's say little Billy calls up the hotline the town set up and says little Jim at Wasserman Camp is bullying him.

or
let's say little Billy calls up the hotline the town set up and says little Jim his neighbor is bullying him.

Please stop calling Billy, "Little Billy" everyone knows hes sensitive about his height " ;) ( Just trying to add a little levity). I applaud Dave for his initiative, whenever individuals tackle an issue instead of just the government I think there is a much better chance for success. Nice job Dave.
David McCray

Postby lynn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 pm

8)
lynn

Postby dgyakuboff » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Rick,

I'll try to answer your questions briefly. I asked that you meet me one day to get to know me a while back, I set up the time and you never showed. My door is still open if you wish to meet with me for any clarification of my program.

It was quite clear from the start as reported in print and on cable TV that this was not funded in any shape or form by the town. The town has no liability for any issues with program and there are no duplication in cost since it does not cost the town at all.

I specifically state students, not "public school" students. If a student feels the need for my program being private school or public school, he or she will not be turned away. As a side point, if a student went to the public school system and complained of bulling via Facebook or cell phone contact and it did not happen on the school grounds, what answer would you expect from the public school. I know for a fact that they would say it didn't happen on school grounds, so we have no authority since it didn't take place on school grounds. Does it make it wrong for the student to seek an alternate avenue to get help?

If the student is from a private school, how does this program not make sense if he or she needs a gateway to help? The comment regarding to making the town the middle man is off target since the town is not a middleman.

Rick, keep one thing in mind, this is not connected to the town at all other than getting the police involved in case of an emergency. This has absolutely nothing to do with the school boards efforts. I applaud the teachers and administration for their professionalism. The reason I went to the Town Council was purely for getting awareness to the public and free public relations. Your comments concern me in the way of thinking it would be a mistake for free publicity via a school board presentation. I would be interested to hear from other SB members besides yourself.

I hope this puts this to rest for you. If not, my door is always open for your convenience not mine. You have my email as well as my office number from prior correspondence.

Dave
dgyakuboff

Postby andysinnh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 pm

dgyakuboff wrote:..... As a side point, if a student went to the public school system and complained of bulling via Facebook or cell phone contact and it did not happen on the school grounds, what answer would you expect from the public school. I know for a fact that they would say it didn't happen on school grounds, so we have no authority since it didn't take place on school grounds....

Dave - I need offer comment on one part of your statement (above), and provide a clarification. Below is an excerpt from the school district policy I referenced earlier in this thread. It clearly states that the policy addresses instances that occur both on and off of school grounds, if it "interferes with a pupil's educational opportunities...".

andy

II. Bullying or Cyberbullying of a Pupil Prohibited (RSA 193-F:4,II(a))

The Board is committed to providing all pupils a safe and secure school environment. This
policy is intended to comply with RSA 193-F. Conduct constituting bullying and/or
cyberbullying of a pupil will not be tolerated and is hereby prohibited. All staff members are
required to intervene when they witness bullying occurring on school grounds or at schoolsponsored
events.

Further, in accordance with RSA 193-F:4, the District reserves the right to address bullying and,
if necessary, impose discipline for bullying that:

(1) Occurs on, or is delivered to, school property or a school-sponsored activity or event on or
off school property; or

(2) Occurs off of school property or outside of a school-sponsored activity or event, if the
conduct interferes with a pupil’s educational opportunities or substantially disrupts the
orderly operations of the school or school-sponsored activity or event.

The Superintendent of Schools is responsible for ensuring that this policy is implemented
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:21 am

The School, once an issue is reported to them, MUST FOLLOW SPECIFIC STEPS. Those steps usually involve reports and lots of paperwork to both the Police and possibly the State depending on what is occurring. If there is someone who has already been through that and it hasn't worked, or has backfired, they are not going to want to put themselves through it again.

Dave's efforts are a way to find the best solution, no matter what, for the person having a problem.

This is never an easy issue to deal with or speak about, we all know that. As Dave told me, if this helps one person, its all worth it.
Brian McCarthy

Postby dgyakuboff » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 pm

The anti bullying website is up an active. Please pass the word on to anyone who may need it. It's not just for one school system, it's available to private, public, outside entities and adults use as well.

http://www.no-excuse-for-peer-abuse.com/

Thank you for your help,

Dave Yakuboff
dgyakuboff

Postby lynn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 am

just a suggestion
make you links more obvious - colors or location
lynn

Postby dgyakuboff » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 pm

FYI

I presented the no excuse for peer abuse to the Safeguard members tonight, and it was well received. I also came away with valuable input from all the members. What a great group.

http://www.no-excuse-for-peer-abuse.com
dgyakuboff

Previous

Return to General Town Topics