Dogs in ball fields

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Dogs in ball fields

Postby Sylvie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:21 am

Just curious...if a dog park is established on town property, who is liable if a dog bites me when it is off its leash running around? Who will be picking up the 'little gifts' that dogs leave behind so I won't be stepping in those?
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby Tom Mahon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 am

The dog owner is liable. The town has a leash law. The town's dog ordinance makes clean-up the responsibility of the dog owner. Some owners are responsible and some are not.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby bobandgeri » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 am

The only reason you might get bitten or step on something is if you go into the double gated fenced in dog park. Dogs are not running off leash other than in that protected area.
bobandgeri

Postby Sylvie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Are you saying that the dogs can run 'off-leash' in this gated area? What happens if I am in this gated area with my dog and I get bit? Why can't people use their backyards as a dog park?
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby bobandgeri » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Um. Why would you be in the gated dog park with your dog if not to let it run off leash? As somebody previously stated, the dog owner is responsible. It sounds as though you have never been to a dog park. If that is the case take a ride to one of the other towns that have them. Derry, Hoksett, Manchester, Concord, Amherst (at American K9)
bobandgeri

Postby lynn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:57 pm

not everyone has the luxury of having their own backyard for the dog to use
lynn

Postby Sylvie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Then they shouldn't have a dog. Simple. I don't have the tax dollars to support town property for dogs to poop on.
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby MMK » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 am

I don't have the money to educate YOUR kids.

Maybe if we cut the school budget 0.005% we could afford a dog park.
MMK

Postby Sylvie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:10 am

Zinger MMK. Believe me, I'd love to not pay taxes towards the education of my children in Merrimack. Half of the kids in their class have IEPs!!!
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Speaking of taxes

On October 26th, 2012 the NH Dept of Revenue Administration issued the 2012 Tax Rate for Merrimack at $23.12.

They are looking for ways to spend MORE money on SAU buildings and other items. I say with such a drop in enrollment they should be able to find some space in one of the schools or HEY here's an idea - maybe live with what you have. I know most of us are having to do that.

To the dog park lovers: Start a fundraiser to build your dog park. I love dogs but don't have one. As far as I am concerned the town doesn't owe us anything other than basics.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby lynn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 pm

just fyi - the dog park committee is doingfund raising to support the cost
lynn

Postby TonyRichardson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:11 am

lynn wrote:just fyi - the dog park committee is doingfund raising to support the cost

All well and good to establish it, but what about afterward.

The town, meaning those of us paying taxes, are stuck with the ongoing bills for this, despite our desires pro or con.

Does we really believe that this or anything else once in place will ever be eliminated afterward, for any reason?
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 am

The Town (and School) run into this all the time. That is why donations need to be accepted.

The Skate Board park is an example. Equipment donated, a great place for kids to spend time, but it does cost all the taxpayers something to have it running - note that it is also supported by donations (and as I recall that is another hoop that needs to be hopped through).

If someone feels strongly against something they see happening they need to contact Town Hall and
figure out who is spearheading the effort they don't like and start talking to those people.

Pick up the phone and make the call, posting here currently has a very, very low impact.

TonyRichardson wrote:
lynn wrote:just fyi - the dog park committee is doingfund raising to support the cost

All well and good to establish it, but what about afterward.

The town, meaning those of us paying taxes, are stuck with the ongoing bills for this, despite our desires pro or con.

Does we really believe that this or anything else once in place will ever be eliminated afterward, for any reason?
Brian McCarthy

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:11 pm

This is for Millie: I have an idea. Maybe you could fence in your backyard and hold play groups there seeing you feel this is of importance to you.

Everyone in my neighborhood has a backyard yet they walk their dogs and allow them to do their business in everyone's yard. I have never complained; however I don't understand this need to own a dog and think it's OK to let it poop everywhere but on your own property. As a former dog breeder and owner of several other dogs in my life I kept my dogs on my own property.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:The Town (and School) run into this all the time. That is why donations need to be accepted.

The Skate Board park is an example. Equipment donated, a great place for kids to spend time, but it does cost all the taxpayers something to have it running - note that it is also supported by donations (and as I recall that is another hoop that needs to be hopped through).

The state budget training this year covered this exact point. Anything build or created based on donation cannot by law tie taxpayers to future expenses so something like a dog park or skateboard park built off donations must be maintained by donations and if those donations stopped then they must be left either in a state of disrepair or closed down.

The example the state lawyer gave was a neon sign (similar to the one in front of the police station). They pointed out that town or school bodies should NEVER accept such a donation because the electricity to run it would violate state law by forcing tax payers to fund a donated item. They went on to say that if such a donation was accepted (as was the case with our sign) and no donations were take to fund the electricity then it must be left turned off so not to create a taxable expense.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

PreviousNext

Return to General Town Topics