4 Wheel Drive Access to the Ribfest

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

4 Wheel Drive Access to the Ribfest

Postby M@ » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 am

I'm one of the judges at this weekend BBQ event and am worried about getting to the event on time. I need to be there at 9am Sunday morning. At first I thought coming from the North would be a benefit, but with the road race going on I'm not sure how early I need to plan on driving to get there in time.

I was looking at the map - and the whole area is probably gonna be grid-lock, mostly because there's no way to approach from the East due to the river. I was thinking about coming down Rt 3. and maybe trying to take some of the trails closer to the river, but I haven't explored them enough.

So my question is - can you get from points North of Budweiser (Wright Ave, Front St, Depot St.) via Jeep type trails along the river (I've got a jeep) to the Budweiser plant?

M@
M@

Re: 4 Wheel Drive Access to the Ribfest

Postby sbl09 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Smart to be thinking ahead.
We're not even going to try to get to the Rib Fest this year and have already postponed celebrating Fathers Day with my parents since they'd be coming up from MA.
No matter how good the plans for traffic control look on paper they can't predict the craziness of people unfamiliar with the area tying things up enough to spoil what should be a happy gathering.
sbl09

Postby rmorrissey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:14 pm

I got an email from the organizers of the 5 miler and they said we would get an email on Thursday regarding parking and other logistics if there is anything helpful I'll post them. I could be wrong but I don't the the crowd heading to Rib Fest will be that big at 8:00-9:00 on a Sunday morning.
rmorrissey

Postby timothy dutton » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:26 pm

parachute in
timothy dutton

Postby JMac1000 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 pm

M@ wrote:I'm one of the judges at this weekend BBQ event and am worried about getting to the event on time. I need to be there at 9am Sunday morning. At first I thought coming from the North would be a benefit, but with the road race going on I'm not sure how early I need to plan on driving to get there in time.

I was looking at the map - and the whole area is probably gonna be grid-lock, mostly because there's no way to approach from the East due to the river. I was thinking about coming down Rt 3. and maybe trying to take some of the trails closer to the river, but I haven't explored them enough.

So my question is - can you get from points North of Budweiser (Wright Ave, Front St, Depot St.) via Jeep type trails along the river (I've got a jeep) to the Budweiser plant?

M@

M@ I cannot imagine that you would have a problem getting their at 9am on a Sunday. Much of the outlet visitors would not have arrived yet or the Ribfest visitors either.
JMac1000

Postby mjg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:34 am

At 8-8:30am on Sunday you shouldn't have any traffic problems.
To avoid the afternoon traffic, you'd be best off to take Exit 11, park at Wendys or nearby, and bike to/from the Ribfest.
Riding the trails would be more fun, but probably take just as long as sitting on the DW.
Last edited by mjg on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjg

Postby mjg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am

Merrimack Patch put out a nice article detailing the traffic plan, including map, what to expect this weekend:
http://merrimack.patch.com/articles/tra ... or-weekend
mjg

Postby mmoy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:20 pm

Book a room at one of the hotels just south of the Residence Inn and walk over.
mmoy

Postby M@ » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Ended up parking at Citizen's bank. Glad I didn't do the shuttle lots, as the lines for the buses getting out were pretty long.

Holy perfect weather! Missed a bunch of the airshow due to not being done judging, but caught the end of it. Love that part of the event.

M@
M@

Return to General Town Topics