Mall Sign

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Mall Sign

Postby timothy dutton » Thu May 31, 2012 8:34 am

As large as that sign is, you cannot see the sign going north on the FE Turnpike until you are going under the exit 10 overpass.

Also at 0615 this morning there was a large group of demonstrators at the mall entrance with signs stating Simon malls are liars.
timothy dutton

Postby Tom Mahon » Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 am

Go on the mall web site. There is a calendar of events on there. And...why not focus on Mass. shoppers? No sales tax here. :D
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby RBarnes » Thu May 31, 2012 12:17 pm

timothy dutton wrote:Also at 0615 this morning there was a large group of demonstrators at the mall entrance with signs stating Simon malls are liars.

Write up about it in the patch:

http://merrimack.patch.com/articles/pre ... b-creation
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby JMac1000 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:22 pm

If the local unions are right, It is unfortunate that local companies are not being used. I recall several weeks back Congresman Guinta toured the Mall and lauded the contructions jobs and putting New Hampshire residents to work. Clearly, he was not aware that many of the jobs are being filled by out of staters. Using local contractors helps the local economy in a big way, and this will not produce the local economic benefit promised. When the Local Union Workers were campaigning for this mall, I warned them they would be disapointed. We can see today, they are not happy campers.

On the plus side, unlike years before, the unemployment rate among Teens and young adults is too high. The wages for most of these jobs are hovering near minimum wage, and largely part time with limited benefits, but for many kids and seniors, its a job and it beats the alternative. I am happy for those that found jobs regardless.

Aside from using local labor, I also remember discussions on the potential of removing the tolls....Until the zoning changes passed, and then I never heard this brought up ever again. I don't ever see the State wanting to take down the toll at this point with millions of new cars coming. Lots of nice quotables from Nancy Harrington.

http://hlinstruments.net/pipermail/plan ... 00315.html
JMac1000

Postby Tom Mahon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 am

Digging deep, Jamie. A 7 year old news article? Really? Being ingenuous again, eh, Jamie? Never heard about removing the tolls again? Really? I've made at least three trips to the legislature in the last 6 years to testify on toll issues, most recently last January. Which have been well publicized. In fact, based on your reports, you could have read the coverage in your backyard recently.

The agreements with the bond holders for the turnpike bonds require the toll monies as the funding source for the principal and interest payments. That's why you have not seen any meaningful resolution to the toll issues.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby RBarnes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:25 am

JMac1000 wrote:I don't ever see the State wanting to take down the toll at this point with millions of new cars coming.

I don't either. If anything I can see the state increasing the amount of the tolls taking advantage of income from "out of state traffic" of course ignoring the people of Merrimack when they make that argument.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Fitzie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Re the tolls:

Here's the way one Merrimackonian (?) understood the Exit 10 toll issue. Probably wrong but......

MMK wanted to realize the job creation and tax revenues represented by having that area populated with large businesses like Fidelity and AB. In order to attract such entities a ramp directly off Rte 3 was needed where Exit 10 now exists. The state, at the request of MMK, built the ramp and support roads at $0 cost to MMK.....but with a user fee of $.50 per car. Maybe true, maybe way off because that doesn't still explain the tolls at 11 and 12. I really don't know but it seems a reasonable proposition on the face of it.

Putting all that aside I guess one would try and weigh the cost of the tolls against the revenues generated by the businesses that have settled there. Is the town ahead or behind and by how much?

Tom? I ask because I've always been curious why you can't get into MMK without paying $.050 unless you're willing to add 20 minutes to the trip. What's the real story?

MF
Fitzie

Postby JMac1000 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Tom Mahon wrote:Digging deep, Jamie. A 7 year old news article? Really? Being ingenuous again, eh, Jamie? Never heard about removing the tolls again? Really? I've made at least three trips to the legislature in the last 6 years to testify on toll issues, most recently last January. Which have been well publicized. In fact, based on your reports, you could have read the coverage in your backyard recently.

The agreements with the bond holders for the turnpike bonds require the toll monies as the funding source for the principal and interest payments. That's why you have not seen any meaningful resolution to the toll issues.

Tom,

Why are you getting so defensive? You are not making any sense, which is becoming rather common for you....Yesterday there were pickets because local union workers are making the suggestion that they were promised something from the Mall Developer. I pointed out that there were suggestions about Toll relief during the same campaign to change the zoning. You will now not get rid of the tolls, as while you could make a case that the profitability of the toll at exit 10 is questionable. I heard that the exit 10 tolls was barely turning a profit. With the new cars, this is new revenue for the state. There is not no debate on the tolls profitabiltiy.
JMac1000

Postby Jimbo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:25 pm

It's simple logic along with creative confusion Jmac. But of course, in the end, snake oil is still snake oil. :lol:
Get-R-Done
Jimbo

Postby MMK » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:39 am

Two quick points on the local construction jobs. . . .

1) If this was really an ongoing issue, why did the union wait for two weeks before the grand opening of a TWO YEAR construction job to protest? Seems with the union mentality if they were really getting shunned from the beginning of this project they would have protested much sooner.

2) All of the news articles I've read quotes the local unions complaining that the out state worker's do not have worker's comp insurance. As a contractor that deals with large entities like this daily, there is NO WAY Simon let anyone on that job site that did not have worker's comp insurance. There is far too much risk, and each contractor has to provide a certificate of insurance which is then verified with the carrier.
MMK

Postby JMac1000 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 pm

MMK wrote:Two quick points on the local construction jobs. . . .

1) If this was really an ongoing issue, why did the union wait for two weeks before the grand opening of a TWO YEAR construction job to protest? Seems with the union mentality if they were really getting shunned from the beginning of this project they would have protested much sooner.

2) All of the news articles I've read quotes the local unions complaining that the out state worker's do not have worker's comp insurance. As a contractor that deals with large entities like this daily, there is NO WAY Simon let anyone on that job site that did not have worker's comp insurance. There is far too much risk, and each contractor has to provide a certificate of insurance which is then verified with the carrier.

MMK, Yes, that was my question as well. In fact, I laughed when I saw that quite a few of the cars parked on the side of the road (presumably the protesters) had Massachusetts plates. This picketing will not help their cause in phase 1. I will say that there are approximately 10 more pads being built on this property, and if you look at it overall, the project, I would guess, is barely 60% completed. You have another 4 buildings of retail, which could be 120,000-150,000 square foot, projected to be built right at the edge of the residential neighborhoods. You also have the Bank that is being built on the site, and the 3 smaller restaurants. On the other side you have a proposed hotel, and I believe two or three other larger restaurants. Over the next couple years there will be a ton of building left on this site, and what you see right now is not even close to the end product. There is plenty of work left. I still think the timing is odd. However the bigger issue is that if the protesters are correct, the benefit to the local tradesman in Southern New Hampshire has been less than what, I think many had expected. I am sure you will agree, the last several years have been particularly difficult for the construction trade. It would have been great if it the building of this very large project had helped our neighbors, family and friends.
JMac1000

Postby lynn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 am

trees have been planted in the buffer area

according to the consultant, the intent of the re-planting was not to replace all trees that were cut. Rather, the planting intent was to place trees in locations where they would provide some screening when they mature, but also not to plant them in such a manner as to impact the viability of the now installed sewer line.
lynn

Postby JMac1000 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 am

lynn wrote:trees have been planted in the buffer area

according to the consultant, the intent of the re-planting was not to replace all trees that were cut. Rather, the planting intent was to place trees in locations where they would provide some screening when they mature, but also not to plant them in such a manner as to impact the viability of the now installed sewer line.

Lynn by the time they mature, it will be decades away. And furthermore, they planted, I would estimate only 15 6 foot trees. The sewer line calle for, If I am not mistaken, 40 feet in width. According to the Community Dev, they cut an estimated 80feet in width. THey did not replace 40ft in width worth of trees by an estimated 300 ft in length. When phase 2 is built I believe the buidlings will be visible. Right now the parking lot areas are visible from areas of Whittier Rd.

Also, I am not aware of any other trees that were planted along the buffer anywhere, including bare areas behind 26-30 whittier. THe only reason why they planted trees behind Englewood, which is what you are alluding to is to comply with the plans limiting the lenght for sewer cut out. However, they do very little. The trees cut down were 100 plus feet tall, and they cut down hundreds, and they replaced them with approx 15 6ft trees...
JMac1000

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:00 am

JMAC

No offense intended, but you knew this mall was coming years ago and you had ample time to move. Instead, you have chosen to spend your life in bitterness and pettiness over something that isn't going away. Either accept it or sell your home. Personally, I would have moved once I was certain the mall was going to be a reality. Merrimack is a big town and there are thousands of homes that aren't anywhere near that mall.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby MMK » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:JMAC

No offense intended, but you knew this mall was coming years ago and you had ample time to move. Instead, you have chosen to spend your life in bitterness and pettiness over something that isn't going away. Either accept it or sell your home. Personally, I would have moved once I was certain the mall was going to be a reality. Merrimack is a big town and there are thousands of homes that aren't anywhere near that mall.

Amen!
MMK

PreviousNext

Return to General Town Topics