Should the town bring back a town side bud com?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Should the town put up an article to consider a town side budget committee

Yes
50%
No
36%
Not Sure
14%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 14

Should the town bring back a town side bud com?

Postby RBarnes » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 am

Considering now that the voters have had two chances to do away with a budget committee on the school side and twice now voted to keep it I think the question should be asked on the town side as well. Interested in knowing what our forum readers think since we do seem to have a fairly cross mix of views here.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Re: Should the town bring back a town side bud com?

Postby lynn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:55 pm

you should look at what is required
the previous Budcom was authorized by the Municipal Budget Act
when we went to the Town Charter - that changed the rules
not sure you can have the same type of Budcom under a town charter

the BUDcom we had before had some authority unlike the School Budcom
lynn

Postby Norman Phillips » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Lynn: I was deeply involved with the petition to inaugurate the School BC in 2006. As such I had to study RSA 32, communicate with DSR, and even marginally with the office of the Attorney General. I think you will find from RSA 32 that the School BC has the same authority as the previous Municipal BC, only of course limited to the School District.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby jjgrady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:04 pm

I voted no on this for the same reason that I voted to disband the School District Budget Committee. It is nothing more than a debating society that adds yet another layer of bureaucracy to our government.
jjgrady

Postby Norman Phillips » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 pm

jjgrady wrote:I voted no on this for the same reason that I voted to disband the School District Budget Committee. It is nothing more than a debating society that adds yet another layer of bureaucracy to our government.

John, the BC is expected to "debate" since it must judge the prudential character of the budget. It does this as a committee of the voters, and reports only to them. You may well feel confident about your understanding of the budget, but evidently many voters feel good about having a designated group examine matters in detail.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby FromMerrimack » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:03 pm

I would like to see the municipal Budget Committee come back. I liked the citizen panel of 15, of which 3 seats were held by Selectmen, School Board, and MVD Commission members, that finalized the budget that went to vote. I was confident that all politics aside, the budget requested would be a people's budget. Even back then the Selectmen could pretty much do as they wanted with the bottom line but every line item went through three levels of consideration that resulted in that final figure - the Town Manager, the Selectmen, and then the BC. With three levels providing scrutiny I was confident that budgets were the best that they could be. Might be a case of checks and balances. I voted to keep the school BC because of that oversight. Like many I do not like our costs for the schools and I sure don't want to miss any opportunity to have a budget that is as right as it could possibly be. Same for the Town side.
(Of course I'm older so you can expect me to say things were better way back when :D )
FromMerrimack

Return to General Town Topics