Not that it really matters...

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Not that it really matters...

Postby jjgrady » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:46 am

Not that it really matters, but I was just thinking. I grew up in Greenland in the 50's and 60's when Greenland was a very quiet town and nothing ever really happened. We had a part-time police chief and his busiest night of the year was Halloween. It was really a big deal when they bought the 1st police cruiser ever. Now the town has grown. I went on-line and saw that it has a department of several officers. I can't believe that a police officer was killed in the line of duty in the small town of Greenland, but sadly it is true.

I have lived in Merrimack for 37 years. Our town and its police department have also grown. Many of us see the Merrimack Police Department as one of the best in the area. Sadly, not everyone supports our police officers. Although the police contract did pass, 657 voters chose not to support a very reasonable contract last Tuesday. They are getting a 0% increase this year and a 1% increase next year, hardly extravagant. The same thing could happen to the men and women on our force that happened to the Police Chief in Greenland. Think about it!
jjgrady
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Re: Not that it really matters...

Postby chisberg » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:55 am

I, for one, do think it matters, because when the crap hits the fan, we all expect fire and police to arrive, ready to whatever it takes at their own risk to remedy the situation. Attitudes change when bad things happen - all of a sudden police and fire are worth every penny - but they should be worth it at all times because they are always ready to act. Be thankful they are there, be thankful more bad situations don't occur.
chisberg
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Not that it really matters...

Postby JMac1000 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 am

jjgrady wrote:Not that it really matters, but I was just thinking. I grew up in Greenland in the 50's and 60's when Greenland was a very quiet town and nothing ever really happened. We had a part-time police chief and his busiest night of the year was Halloween. It was really a big deal when they bought the 1st police cruiser ever. Now the town has grown. I went on-line and saw that it has a department of several officers. I can't believe that a police officer was killed in the line of duty in the small town of Greenland, but sadly it is true.

I have lived in Merrimack for 37 years. Our town and its police department have also grown. Many of us see the Merrimack Police Department as one of the best in the area. Sadly, not everyone supports our police officers. Although the police contract did pass, 657 voters chose not to support a very reasonable contract last Tuesday. They are getting a 0% increase this year and a 1% increase next year, hardly extravagant. The same thing could happen to the men and women on our force that happened to the Police Chief in Greenland. Think about it!


Your Greenland example is relevent to Merrimack, and the changes we expect to see. As calls for service are expected to increase rapidly with large scale commercial development and increased traffic in the southern end of town, the need for more Police and Emergency services will go up, just like on a smaller scale the growth you suggested in Greenland. Additionally the number of near mimimum wage jobs will go up substantially as well. This may not be realized immediately. However, once phase two is built and other commercial establishments are built around it, much like Exit 1 near the Pheasant Lane, the staffing demand will increase or we will have reductions in levels of service. I don't think most of our Town Council, or even our Town Manager realizes the impacts the outlet center will have. When I spoke with Tom Keonig, he told me he thought it would be a huge tax benefit. In fact, Many of them think this will be a huge tax benefit.

I fully support raises for Police and Fire. However, it would as important to address the long term costs of Pensions and Health Care.
In both cases they are far richer benefits than private industry, and in my view unsustainable. . However, Police and Fire, deserve raises, and are certainly not overpaid by any means.
JMac1000
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: Not that it really matters...

Postby jjgrady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:07 pm

chisberg wrote:I, for one, do think it matters, because when the crap hits the fan, we all expect fire and police to arrive, ready to whatever it takes at their own risk to remedy the situation. Attitudes change when bad things happen - all of a sudden police and fire are worth every penny - but they should be worth it at all times because they are always ready to act. Be thankful they are there, be thankful more bad situations don't occur.



Thank you for responding with a very well written comment. My original post was made over three days ago and although it has had several hits, I was beginning to think that no one really cared.
jjgrady
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Re: Not that it really matters...

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:32 pm

jjgrady wrote:My original post was made over three days ago and although it has had several hits, I was beginning to think that no one really cared.


It was a loaded post ... no way to post anything but an agreement which I presume was the intent given the subject line. If you were interested in an open-ended conversation, then maybe you should have considered openly exploring the ideas that may have made 657 people vote against the contract that didn't start with the premise that they must villians. Or maybe you should have stuck with the Greenland side of your post which is a story that I think most everyone can agree is simultaneously a story of great heroism and tragedy for the police officers and families involved. When you mixed the two, however, you left the ingredients for a dead-end post in my view. But that's just my 2 cents ...
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
User avatar
ggkrupp
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: Ministerial Dr


Return to General Town Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron