Mall Opening Announced

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Mall Opening Announced

Postby Tom Mahon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 pm

The following press release was issued today:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 12, 2012 Contact: Scott Tranchemontagne 603-644-3200 x15 or scott@montagnecom.com
UPSCALE OUTLET CENTER MERRIMACK PREMIUM OUTLETS®,
PREPARES FOR JUNE 14, 2012 OPENING
Merrimack, NH – Savvy shoppers can now mark their calendars as Merrimack Premium Outlets® prepares for its highly anticipated grand opening set for June 14, 2012. A four-day Grand Opening Celebration will take place on June 14 - 17. The new center will contain 410,000 square feet of gross leasable area and 100 designer and name-brand outlet stores offering savings of 25 to 65 percent every day.
The center, developed by Simon Property Group's Premium Outlets® division, is located off the F.E. Everett Turnpike at exit 10 (Industrial Drive) in Hillsborough County. Merrimack Premium Outlets will offer area residents and visitors an upscale outlet shopping experience, with an impressive collection of leading brands including Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein, Chico’s, Coach, Cole Haan, Converse, Elie Tahari, Guess, J.Crew, Loft Outlet, Lucky Brand, Michael Kors, Nike, Puma, Timberland, Tommy Hilfiger and more. The center's largest stores will be Bloomingdale's The Outlet Store and Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th which will offer a wide range of apparel and accessories from leading designers and brands.
Merrimack Premium Outlets will offer discerning shoppers an impressive variety of merchandise including designer apparel for women, men and children, shoes, fashion accessories, high quality leather goods, gifts and more. The center is a single-level, village-style project creating a pleasant, upscale atmosphere for shoppers. While pedestrian courtyards are outdoors, there will be sufficient coverage to provide all-weather shopping comfort. Individual outlet stores will be reminiscent of boutiques found in the finest shopping districts of the world. The center will feature a centrally located food court and a wide range of customer services including an Information Center providing area and merchant information.
“Today’s savvy shoppers have discovered that our outlet centers offer the best of both worlds – high quality at great savings,” said Michele Rothstein, Senior Vice President of Marketing, Premium Outlets / Simon. “Merrimack Premium Outlets will provide shoppers with the opportunity to purchase designers labels and leading brands at substantial savings in an
appealing atmosphere. This is an area with sophisticated consumers, making it perfect for the type of upscale outlet centers we develop.”
In addition to providing a great shopping experience, the new center will be creating approximately 800 full and part time jobs. A Job Fair is being planned for April.
At opening, Merrimack Premium Outlets will be the 71st center bearing the Premium Outlets brand name. Simon's outlet portfolio includes 57 properties in the United States, one in Puerto Rico, eight in Japan, two in Korea, one in Malaysia and one in Mexico. Premium Outlet Centers® in the United States are located primarily in or near major metropolitan markets such as New York, Los Angeles, Boston and Chicago and visitor markets such as Orlando, Las Vegas and Palm Springs. The company operates centers in Wrentham, Massachusetts and Kittery, Maine. Information can be viewed at www.premiumoutlets.com.
About Simon Property Group
Simon Property Group, Inc. is an S&P 500 company and the largest real estate company in the U.S. The Company currently owns or has an interest in 383 retail real estate properties comprising 256 million square feet of gross leasable area in North America, Europe and Asia. Simon Property Group is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana and employs more than 5,000 people worldwide. The Company's common stock is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol SPG. For further information, visit the Simon Property Group website at www.simon.com.
The following is partial list of merchants to open at Merrimack Premium Outlets:

Designer Fashions & Sportswear

Ann Taylor Factory Store
Banana Republic Factory Store
Bass
Bloomingdale's The Outlet Store
Brooks Brothers Factory Store
Calvin Klein
Chico's
DKNY
Ecko Unltd
Elie Tahari
Esprit
Gap Factory Store
Guess Factory Store
HanesBrands
Izod
J.Crew
Jockey
Kasper
Lane Bryant Outlet
Levi's Outlet
Loft Outlet
Lucky Brand
Maidenform
Michael Kors
Nautica
Nike Factory Store
PacSun
Puma
Reebok
Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th
Talbots
Tommy Hilfiger
Van Heusen
White House / Black Market
Wilsons Leather
Zumiez

Accessories & Jewelry
Coach
Ultra Diamond
For Children
Carter's
Gymboree Outlet
OshKosh B'gosh

Shoes
Aerosoles
Clarks Bostonian
Cole Haan
Converse
Easy Spirit
Ecco
Famous Footwear Outlet
Naturalizer
New Balance
Nine West Outlet
Rockport
Timberland

Fine Leather & Luggage
Samsonite

Gifts & Specialty Items
Bose
The Cosmetics Company Store
Perfumania
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Re: Mall Opening Announced

Postby Brian McCarthy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:48 am

What? No tool outlets? No Discount Lumber ? No Discount building supplies? What a rip off :-)
Brian McCarthy

Postby Tom Mahon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am

And, it's not the complete list. There will be more. Harbor Freight doesn't quite fall into their demographic of PREMIUM. :lol:
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby Brian McCarthy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:08 am

Saw a question posted to the Union Leader about food usually be part of these - when are they going to be starting those?
Brian McCarthy

Postby Tom Mahon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:51 pm

No idea. There is a food court in the outlet complex, but so far no announcement as to tenants and apparently no applications for building permits to fit up the space. It will likely be the usual suspects. No huate cuisine here. The restaurants and hotel constantly referred to in the U-L and Telegraph are a separate phase on the lot to the left of the entrance where all of the site materials are stockpiled. Late in the process, Chelsea pulled that from the table to focus on the mall portion.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby RayWhipple » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Any idea when and where they will be taking applications? I was asked the other day...
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
RayWhipple

Postby dgyakuboff » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Ray,

I believe that thaey announced June opening and a job fair type meeting in April. As of today that date is not firm, nor the place.

Dave Y
dgyakuboff

Postby Tom Mahon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:42 pm

CAVEAT/WARNING: THIS IS ALL SPECULATION AND SURMISE ON MY PART AND IS NOT AUTHORITATIVE!! Take a deep breath and think, before you respond.

I would not worry about missing the chance to apply. They are not going to miss the chance to deliver on their job creation numbers. It will be widely advertised and highly likely to be posted with the NH Department of Employment Security. NHES requires applicants to apply on-line. The mall employers might do a lot of this on-line, too. Who knows.

Locations in Merrimack are problematic. This will generate a lot of interest from the region. So, they will likely need someplace large with plenty of parking. The only locations that come to mind in Merrimack are the mall site itself, the high school, the old Shaw's plaza, Zyla's (which, by all accounts, is a wreck, the condition of the building and other business considerations probably convinced the previously reported buyer to back out of the deal.), and the hotel site (another wreck). I'm sure there may be others in town, so please, no flames about forgetting/overlooking something, like CINEMAGIC.

All will be revealed in time.

JE REPETE
CAVEAT/WARNING: THIS IS ALL SPECULATION AND SURMISE ON MY PART AND IS NOT AUTHORITATIVE!!
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby JMac1000 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Tom Mahon wrote:CAVEAT/WARNING: THIS IS ALL SPECULATION AND SURMISE ON MY PART AND IS NOT AUTHORITATIVE!! Take a deep breath and think, before you respond.

I would not worry about missing the chance to apply. They are not going to miss the chance to deliver on their job creation numbers. It will be widely advertised and highly likely to be posted with the NH Department of Employment Security. NHES requires applicants to apply on-line. The mall employers might do a lot of this on-line, too. Who knows.

Locations in Merrimack are problematic. This will generate a lot of interest from the region. So, they will likely need someplace large with plenty of parking. The only locations that come to mind in Merrimack are the mall site itself, the high school, the old Shaw's plaza, Zyla's (which, by all accounts, is a wreck, the condition of the building and other business considerations probably convinced the previously reported buyer to back out of the deal.), and the hotel site (another wreck). I'm sure there may be others in town, so please, no flames about forgetting/overlooking something, like CINEMAGIC.

All will be revealed in time.

JE REPETE
CAVEAT/WARNING: THIS IS ALL SPECULATION AND SURMISE ON MY PART AND IS NOT AUTHORITATIVE!!

And this is speculative and pure surmise on my part. I will add that there would be no reason to hire anyone other than Store Managers at this point. Just googling the Merrimack Mall shows that some of the retailers are hiring for the site right now , for store managers. For example, I saw Chico's. We may get some new residents here (not many, probably just a handful, and I would consider that to actually be a good thing as more demand for houses and apartments and we need people to move here to keep the town thriving), though the pay scales, for these jobs (store managers) are surprisingly and substantially lower than I had thought they would be, and possibly below average for the community. (according to Glassdoor.com) I would think that they will hire store managers first, and then come April(my best guess) the Assistant Managers and Part Time and Full time Clerks will be hired. This is not economic climate we saw in 2004-2008, when I raised the issue of the pay being in some cases not far from minimum wage. Any new job is a good thing, and I certainly never expected such a deep recession would be coming in 2008 to present back then. Certainly not the jobs the state wants to create, and in most cases not enough by any means to live on in this region. However, or second incomes, seniors, and college kids or anyone unemployed for that matter, the jobs are sorely needed!

By the way Tom, how is the sign coming along, your pals on the Planning Board approved? 1600 plus square and over 100 feet high? It should be an eyesore for all to see.
Last edited by JMac1000 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JMac1000

Postby JMac1000 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm

And Tom, they are not going to have a job fair at Zylas buiding
JMac1000

Postby Tom Mahon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:08 pm

And Tom, they are not going to have a job fair at Zylas buiding

Really!? Shocking! :lol: As always, Jamie, stating the obvious.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby tastyratz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:49 pm

just as suspected
I can't see a single store there I would probably shop at. I might go to Wilsons clearance for some gloves every 3 or 4 years, but shop? Won't see me there. Who opens an upscale high end targeted mall in a near economic depression? Maybe we wont see the traffic problems predicted after all :lol:
I wonder when the complete store list will be announced.
tastyratz

Postby timothy dutton » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 pm

You will see the outlet stores packed. Being very close to the MA border I suspect we will see a significant amount of traffic from the south.
timothy dutton

Postby JMac1000 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes, from the South. Majority of these shoppers will make day trips from Massachusetts as far south as Boston. It will be a destinatation. New Hampshire shoppers will be the minority. I know the economy is bad, and there is less disposable income. However, people are still shopping...And buying.
JMac1000

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:09 am

Yeah I don't see this as the type of mall locals would go to for a pair of socks or new underwear (who was the selectmen years ago complaining we had no local store to get underwear?). Look at other outlet malls like this around the country, they are destination sites. People go there while on vacations. You'll see a lot of the MA traffic going up to the white mountains taking a pit stop off the highway either on their way out or way back to do a little tax free shopping. Problem is this is going to create more traffic at the tolls and give the state more justification for keeping them and perhaps even build an argument for them being increased.

One other problem I see with this list of stores is this isn't true "outlets". In outlet malls you basically get two types of stores, what I call true "outlet" stores where a larger company will send all their seconds, returns, refurbished products etc. and sell them at deep discounts. These are true "outlet" stores and you get incredible deals there. The other type are the factory stores where retailers like Nike will open a direct factory store, these aren't much different then stores you see in regular malls where they sell at full retail costs. Since it's a factory selling its stuff directly you'll see some savings over another store selling the same product since it's eliminating the middleman but not that much.

I'm still hopeful this will be more of a true "outlet" type mall but given the list is made up of the same factory type stores you see in most "high end" outlet malls around the north east I'm doubtful.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Next

Return to General Town Topics