Mall Opening Announced

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Mall Opening Announced

Postby timothy dutton » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:35 am

Very interesting.
timothy dutton

Postby mjg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 am

Tom Mahon wrote:C'mon guys, use your noodles. It's winter, it's cold, paint doesn't adhere. :roll: So of course there are no crosswalks, and by-the-way, the overflow will likely not be within walking distance.

Spring now, and no indication that neighbors and Fidelity employees will be able to cross Industrial Drive or cross the Mall entrance road without darting between vehicles.
No signals mounted on the new traffic lights, no wheelchair/stroller ramps in the new granite curb sidewalk, no painted lines.
mjg

Postby JMac1000 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:43 pm

lynn wrote:my office is 2 blocks down
still not traffic

While I did not expect heavy traffic for the job fair, for this many jobs, it proved to be a fair turnout but not what many thought. On WMUR tonight they said it was about 3,000. This was advertised, or at least on the news pretty much all over New England, including on the Boston news stations. By comparison there were over 10,000 for a job fair in New Hampshire a couple of years back. All this can point to is an improving economy. It would be either that, or the job fair that brought out 10,000 was a mix of similar, but mostly higher quality jobs.

On another note, Lynn I would recommend YOUR Planning Board take a drive over to Whittier Place toward the back of the neighborhood, and you will see areas back there were there are clear views of the mall parking lots and buildings with no tree buffering whatsoever. I, along with many of my neighbors spent meeting after meeting begging your board to listen to us. THe board seemed to believe the idea that the residents would not see this place and the trees would provide a natural wooded buffer. What the board did not examine carefully was that this mall is elevated over our neighborhood by 70 -100 feet, and between us and the mall are power line easements that are not wooded at all. One of the criteria for changing the zoning to allow for this type of use was to not impact home values. Since you are in this business, I am sure you understand that if your backyard has is looking up on an elevation of 100 or so feet toward a huge mall parking lot with lights and quite possibly a 1604 square foot sign, this will do nothing but lower property values and provide what may be a very unsightly view for many. I did get confirmation from our assessing department that its very possibly views like this will hurt property values. Yet it was not supposed to. I heard over and over how berms would be built, trees would be planted and it would be a heavy wooded buffer. For some parts of the neighborhood, this is not the case at all. THere is essentially ZERO Buffer. and a 100% clean and clear view, especially near 24-30 Whittier Rd. and the Englewood Drive area.

Lynn please be so kind enough to drive over to said areas, get out of your car and look around and see the product of your board and let me know your honest thoughts on what you see. Please let me know what other mall in New England has this kind of view from a residential neighborhood so very close. Its due to improper rezoning. It is painfully clear that all the rhetoric about controls put in place to protect our quality of life for a family neighborhood, in order to justify via Conditional Use Permit to rezone a property, were never really put into place, and unfortunately your board has a group of people that have been in the seat for too long, and they plainly could care less. Yet I see nothing but hostility for a small church near another neighborhood was treated with disdain because it would add so much traffic and hurt the Mallard Point areas. I find it shocking that a huge mall is not a traffic concern, but a small church is.

So please, care enough to take a look. I think you will be surprised. Care enough to report back to your board on how they really dropped the ball, despite months and years of pleading by residents.
JMac1000

Postby timothy dutton » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:19 am

Stated very well. Your comments need to be sent to the Community Development as well. As I recall, The buffer in your area must have trees and vegetation planted BEFORE the mall is allowed to open.
timothy dutton

Postby JMac1000 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 am

timothy dutton wrote:Stated very well. Your comments need to be sent to the Community Development as well. As I recall, The buffer in your area must have trees and vegetation planted BEFORE the mall is allowed to open.

Tim et all,

I had an opportunity to get off Exit 10 and drive by the site heading towards Continental BLVD. Please do the same, and picture yourself heading to the Outlet Center. I have concerns that its not going to work well, unless there is regular police presence right in front to direct traffic. I will not go into detail why until I hear your impressions why or why not. Tim I want to see if your impression is the same, and why. Take a close look as I am not sure this was thought out well. Either that or perhaps I am wrong...
JMac1000

Postby timothy dutton » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:03 pm

2 lane highway going into 4 booths to pay toll. Then only one lane to turn onto Industrial Drive. Industrial Drive is 3 lanes, however only one turning lane going into the mall from the highway. 3 Lanes from Continential Blvd going onto Industrial drive which is 2 lanes through. There are 2 turning lanes going into the mall from Continential Blvd. All going into 2 lanes going up the hill. Traffic at the least will be interesting. Who designed the traffic pattern? One way in and one way out!

Watching the Planning Board discuss the pending DD going in where the Hospice office was. Interesting to hear the board has concerns about traffic in the area. Really?
timothy dutton

Postby JMac1000 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 pm

timothy dutton wrote:2 lane highway going into 4 booths to pay toll. Then only one lane to turn onto Industrial Drive. Industrial Drive is 3 lanes, however only one turning lane going into the mall from the highway. 3 Lanes from Continential Blvd going onto Industrial drive which is 2 lanes through. There are 2 turning lanes going into the mall from Continential Blvd. All going into 2 lanes going up the hill. Traffic at the least will be interesting. Who designed the traffic pattern? One way in and one way out!

Watching the Planning Board discuss the pending DD going in where the Hospice office was. Interesting to hear the board has concerns about traffic in the area. Really?

So your reaction is partially similar. Here is my main concern, and you touched on this. Most of the traffic will be getting off the Everett Turnpike Northbound at exit 10, and some Southbound. There are 3 lanes in Industrial Drive, and one makeshift, very narrow turning lane going into the mall. Any vehicle that misses that single turning lane, or cannot veer into the turn lane, can still turn into the site immediately right after the turning lane, directly across from Fidelity by the lights I believe. So you either have the turning lane or the L Shaped turn right after, and both end up merging into that same single lane. Cars will merge into that single lane as cars that miss the turn lane will veer into the turn lane directly across from Fidelity. This could produce accidents in the turn lane, with or without the merge. What happens when there are accidents in a single lane turn lane heading into the mall? Gridlock......THere is no other place for the cars to go. Anytime there is a serious accident or even a fender bender, it could, essentially block access to the mall, which will backup cars on Industrial Drive and possibly as far back as the FE Everett Turnpike. If there is police directing traffic in industrial drive and by the turn lane onto the mall property this will reduce the accidents. However, I cannot imagine there will be a police presence there every day, and there would have to be at least two police to make this work, in my opinion.

I am not a Traffic Engineer, and i know they are professionals that know more than me. However, I would encourage anyone to take a drive over there and let me know if you agree or disagree? How can assume there will not be accidents anywhere with that single turn lane, when in my opinion you risk accidents and gridlock? I am just not aware of any other malls i have been to set up this way.

As far as the Dunkin Donuts, there will be a lot of mall visitors going to that new Dunkin Donuts next to MVD. At least in Wrentham, their Dunkins is right on the site. So instead of leaving the mall and heading to the highway, they will head in the opposite direction to Dunkins, creating more traffic, and bringing congestion to either exit 11 or back on Industrial drive toward Exit 10. Lots of people want Dunkins before an hour road trip. This Dunkins shifts cars in the wrong direction. We want them heading toward the highway at exit 10.
JMac1000

Postby RBarnes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:24 am

JMac1000 wrote:As far as the Dunkin Donuts, there will be a lot of mall visitors going to that new Dunkin Donuts next to MVD. At least in Wrentham, their Dunkins is right on the site. So instead of leaving the mall and heading to the highway, they will head in the opposite direction to Dunkins, creating more traffic, and bringing congestion to either exit 11 or back on Industrial drive toward Exit 10. Lots of people want Dunkins before an hour road trip. This Dunkins shifts cars in the wrong direction. We want them heading toward the highway at exit 10.

I think an even bigger concern is going to be the traffic between the mall and the Bud plant.

If you pack up your family to drive a couple hours away for tax free outlet shopping, it's reasonable to expect that they'll drive just around the bend over to tour the Bud plant too. Think about it... mom wants to shop and be left alone, dad takes the kids over to see the horses and maybe enjoy a cold one while they stay out of mom's hair.

I suspect we'll see a lot of traffic going back and forth between those two sites.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby timothy dutton » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 pm

"Lynn please be so kind enough to drive over to said areas, get out of your car and look around and see the product of your board and let me know your honest thoughts on what you see. Please let me know what other mall in New England has this kind of view from a residential neighborhood so very close. Its due to improper rezoning. It is painfully clear that all the rhetoric about controls put in place to protect our quality of life for a family neighborhood, in order to justify via Conditional Use Permit to rezone a property, were never really put into place, and unfortunately your board has a group of people that have been in the seat for too long, and they plainly could care less. Yet I see nothing but hostility for a small church near another neighborhood was treated with disdain because it would add so much traffic and hurt the Mallard Point areas. I find it shocking that a huge mall is not a traffic concern, but a small church is."

I took a drive into Whitter one night. Very nice view of the parking lot.
timothy dutton

Postby mmoy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 am

Now that the mall is here, I just wanted to post my impressions on the traffic impact.

None that I can see. I drive DWH from Exit 11 to Exit 1 and back and there's slightly more at the intersection with Exit 10 (the light cycles a bit more so I get stopped there a bit more) but nothing that bothers me. I assume that things will get busier around the end of the year.

I haven't been to the mall yet. I assume that I will go there one of these days.

Have others noticed traffic changes in their areas?
mmoy

Postby mjg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am

I have a similar weekday commute (take the DW down to/from exit 7) and see no measurable increase in traffic. There was a bit more on last Sunday midafternoon. I'll reserve my opinion until the mall is better established, however, so far it's been better than expected.

I took a walk up to the mall on opening weekend and didn't really find anything of interest -- am not a clothing aficionado. There is a spectacular view along the end of the parking lot! Should get up there to see the sunrise at some point.
mjg

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 am

This isn't unexpected news - but WMUR is reporting like it is:

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Traffi ... index.html

Chamber is also providing a bunch of new 'welcome to Merrimack' hand-outs

Oh they do mention 'picking up the slack for the loss at the Bedford tolls because of the airport access road'
Brian McCarthy

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 am

Brian McCarthy wrote:This isn't unexpected news - but WMUR is reporting like it is:

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Traffi ... index.html

Chamber is also providing a bunch of new 'welcome to Merrimack' hand-outs

Oh they do mention 'picking up the slack for the loss at the Bedford tolls because of the airport access road'

I don't think we can judge traffic flow yet because we're still in that shiny new phase of the mall. The first week or 2 would be the mad rush of people wanting to check it out for the first time. A lot of others would have avoided the opening 2 weeks because of the rush but are just now checking it out. Similar to people who don't want to crowds of opening weekends of a movie.

What will be telling is after everyone has had their chance to check out the mall for the first time and look it over, how many are going to return. And based on word of mouth how many more will come out of their way to check out the mall (the whole "travel destination" thing that was discussed).

Personally I'm not looking at traffic changes as permanent until Jan. of next year, then we'll start realizing the real traffic impacts.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby andysinnh » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:11 pm

To me, as a casual observer of the traffic volume through the Exit 10 tolls over the years, a 100 percent increase isn't what I'd call "pushing the capacity" of that tollbooth. Aside from the morning/evening rush of Fidelity and other commuters using it (either direction), that toll booth is perhaps the lightest used booth of the 3 in town. And in observing the traffic in that area at various times of the day during the past month, I've never seen a backup of any concern in any direction there. The more interesting observation will be the volume thru the tolls during the busy shopping times - typically after labor day, and ramping up to black friday and the time between then and Christmas. Once we all get through that period of time, we'll be able to have a better litmus test as to the traffic through the tolls (and the area in general).....

I've been to the Mall twice so far - once in an evening, once in an early afternoon. And each time the traffic was light and parking was more than available... But I'll hold my judgement until after the holidays at the end of the year...

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby joe179 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 am

Hmmmm seems like this is a case of

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday..."
joe179

PreviousNext

Return to General Town Topics