Gun Stores

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Gun Stores

Postby chancellor » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:14 pm

It appears that we have 2 guns stores opening in town... does anyone know the story behind them at all. Are they selling only? Buying? I'm a card carrying NRA member, so not anti gun at all, just not sure how I feel about it in Merrimack. Especially the one in the rite aid plaza - next to a kids karate studio and a pre-school.
chancellor

Re: Gun Stores

Postby timothy dutton » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 pm

I believe both stores are going to be buying and selling. I was talking to the owner of the store near Rite Aid and they will be dealing in newer fire arms and believes the other shop is going to deal with older/antique firearms.
timothy dutton

Postby MattPublicover » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:44 pm

chancellor wrote:It appears that we have 2 guns stores opening in town... does anyone know the story behind them at all. Are they selling only? Buying? I'm a card carrying NRA member, so not anti gun at all, just not sure how I feel about it in Merrimack. Especially the one in the rite aid plaza - next to a kids karate studio and a pre-school.

Is it just me, or does it seem a bit odd that a "card-carrying member of the NRA" would be concerned about a gun store in his town? I am not a member of the NRA, but I have no problem with a gun store in my town, as long as it well managed and run in accordance with the laws. In the "live free or die" state, we should have no problem with ANY legally permitted business.
MattPublicover

Postby TonyRichardson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:05 am

MattPublicover wrote:
chancellor wrote:It appears that we have 2 guns stores opening in town... does anyone know the story behind them at all. Are they selling only? Buying? I'm a card carrying NRA member, so not anti gun at all, just not sure how I feel about it in Merrimack. Especially the one in the rite aid plaza - next to a kids karate studio and a pre-school.

Is it just me, or does it seem a bit odd that a "card-carrying member of the NRA" would be concerned about a gun store in his town? I am not a member of the NRA, but I have no problem with a gun store in my town, as long as it well managed and run in accordance with the laws. In the "live free or die" state, we should have no problem with ANY legally permitted business.

I agree Matt,

Looks like a NIMBY thing.

The throughly amusing E-trade commercials not withstanding, not too many pre-schoolers are going to toddle into a gun store, and wouldn't be served even if they did.

Teens will wander in but would only be allowed to buy accessories, not firearms or ammunition.

I would regard physical security of the place after hours as the greatest concern and I imagine the Merrimack Police should be planning accordingly.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby chancellor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:36 am

Matt, Tony...

You are why this forum sucks... two dorks who simply barf out their opinions without thought or consideration. Pointless cynicism, that's all you have provided. I was merely trying to elicit some information, while providing my impression of the location. It is NOT a case of NIMBY at all... but as a student of gun ownership, I do know that crime tends to increase in areas where gun shops are located. It's a fact. Look it up.

So for me, I prefer CRIME to be NIMBY. So I do oppose gun shops, pawn shops, strip clubs etc in Merrimack. They bring on criminal activity. And I would fight like hell to keep them out.

On another note, I am curious how close the rite-aid gun store is to the High School...
chancellor

Postby sabrina » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:33 am

chancellor wrote:Matt, Tony...

You are why this forum sucks... two dorks who simply barf out their opinions without thought or consideration. Pointless cynicism, that's all you have provided. I was merely trying to elicit some information, while providing my impression of the location. It is NOT a case of NIMBY at all... but as a student of gun ownership, I do know that crime tends to increase in areas where gun shops are located. It's a fact. Look it up.

So for me, I prefer CRIME to be NIMBY. So I do oppose gun shops, pawn shops, strip clubs etc in Merrimack. They bring on criminal activity. And I would fight like hell to keep them out.

On another note, I am curious how close the rite-aid gun store is to the High School...

Isn't there a gunshop in Amherst? Right on 101A? Are their strip clubs in Amherst? Who cares, at least the space is being filled by something, I'd rather that then to have to look at an empty old run down building with graffiti on it...
sabrina

Postby Tom Mahon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 am

It's about 1/2 mile from the high school as the crow flies. Once the Souhegan River trail is complete it will be an easy walk from the high school. Get an ice cream at the DW and admire the hardware next door. Quite frankly, high schoolers in this town will get their weapons from their parents or older sibs, not a gun store because that's where they get them now. Some of this post IS tongue-in-cheek and some is not.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby TonyRichardson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:21 pm

chancellor wrote:Matt, Tony...

Didnt take the anon long to resort to name calling...typical
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby RBarnes » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:47 pm

chancellor wrote:It is NOT a case of NIMBY at all... but as a student of gun ownership, I do know that crime tends to increase in areas where gun shops are located. It's a fact. Look it up.

I searched but couldn't find anything supporting that statement, can you please supply a link.

What I did find was a couple articles about one particular store that sells guns in Virgina that was tied to over 2,500 gun related crimes and I found statistics from the Bureau of Justice government run site that pointed out the following:

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/guns.cfm
According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -

* a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
* a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
* family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

Beyond that all I could find was a Washington Post poll question asking "Should gun stores be held responsible for crimes committed with weapons that they have sold?" Which for the record, a little more then 64% responded no.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm OK with chancellor posting a link to the source of "I do know that crime tends to increase in areas where gun shops are located. It's a fact." However after that I'll ask that general gun policy discussion stop so this post does not devolve into a political debate. Keep it specific to Merrimack and these store, and keep it civil.

-Nat (as admin)
Nat Fairbanks

Postby MattPublicover » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:25 am

Okay, Nat. The original post does raise some interesting questions about Merrimack's preparedness to deal with businesses it doesn't want. (I attempted to find a copy of zoning bylaws or the zoning map on the town website, but neither appears to be there at this time.) Do Merrimack's zoning regulations or town bylaws limit the location of gun stores in any way? For that matter, do Merrimack's regulations restrict any of the businesses that some people might consider objectionable, such as strip clubs, pawn shops, adult DVD retailers, head shops, etc.? Perhaps Mr. Mahon or another poster better acquainted than I with the town government decisions and actions could provide some info.

The point is, if a majority of Merrimack residents feel it is desirable to restrict certain legal businesses, the time to think about it is before the businesses arrive, and to design ordinances/bylaws accordingly. But I would state quite vehemently that a decision to restrict another person's liberty should require more than casual reflection on the part of the voter. The fact that the right to keep and bear arms is specifically mentioned in the Bill of Rights would, I think, give a present or potential gun shop owner even more leverage in this argument than, say, a pawn shop owner.

Would anyone care to comment on what businesses Merrimack does and does not restrict, above and beyond the standard zoning map boundaries that apply to any commercial enterprise?
MattPublicover

Postby FromMerrimack » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:03 am

I can remember a big to do about having a billiard parlor in town about 15 years ago. Cue Connection, I think it was. Was on DW near where Merrimack Vision is now. A lot of concern that it would be an undesirable for youth.
FromMerrimack

Postby RayWhipple » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:22 am

Nat Fairbanks wrote:I'm OK with chancellor posting a link to the source of "I do know that crime tends to increase in areas where gun shops are located. It's a fact." However after that I'll ask that general gun policy discussion stop so this post does not devolve into a political debate. Keep it specific to Merrimack and these store, and keep it civil.

-Nat (as admin)

With all due respect Nat, I feel this topic is political debate no matter how you look at it. It is political as how we deal with this and how we handle other business request down the road. This is just my thoughts....
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
RayWhipple

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 am

It's certainly a political issue and that's why I want to keep it constrained to specific Merrimack issues as Matt has done with regards to zoning.
Nat Fairbanks

Postby David McCray » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:37 am

"Would anyone care to comment on what businesses Merrimack does and does not restrict, above and beyond the standard zoning map boundaries that apply to any commercial enterprise? " From Matt P

I believe the Police pushed A fireworks sales ordinance that went before the voters six or seven years back , that put huge restrictions on Fireworks sales to the point of just about banning them. Now that I have reached 50 my memory is going downhill quick so if anyone remembers more specifics about the ordinance please feel free to add them.

Thanks
Dave
David McCray

Next

Return to General Town Topics