http://www.merrimackvotes.org/

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby David McCray » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:36 pm

Brian the list of ways to help volunteer, implies to me that your group will be supporting specific candidates or issues . I definitely may have misinterpeted.

Am I correct in drawing that conclusion?

If that it is true it might appear that the site is a lobbying site masquerading as an iformational site.

If it is not true then I agree it is just an informational site.

Either way it is a GREAT idea as long as people understand its actual purpose whether it be informational or for lobbying

Will your group be endorsing candidates and issues?

Election Preparation
Run for Town Council Two Positions Available
Run for School Board Two Positions Available
Run for Budget Committee Run for School Budget Committee
This will be a new Budget Committee with all twelve positions open
Campaign Sign Place campaign signs in my yard (make sure to include your address above)
Host Reception/coffee Host a coffee or reception for candidates at my home
Brochures Mail or recycle campaign brochures to friends supporting candidates
Advertisements Place a notably visible advertisement at my home or business promoting the election
Campaign Buttons Make and distribute campaign buttons
Door to Door Conduct door-to-door campaigning with candidates in my neighborhood
David McCray

Postby RBarnes » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:56 am

David McCray wrote:Brian the list of ways to help volunteer, implies to me that your group will be supporting specific candidates or issues . I definitely may have misinterpeted.

The page asking people to run for office gave me that exact same though which is why I asked who was behind this site.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:25 am

Morning everyone.

I've got some more work to do with some items on the site, for example, figuring out how to give each candidate the ability to at least provide a link or email so people can contact them - it may go further, depends on how much time I have. I also can't do that until filing period has closed.

I started too late for the MVD filing period (didn't know about the deadline for signing up until the day it occurred).

I have all three moderators (ok, two Lynn does MVD and Town) and the Town Clerk providing (through requests sent to them) and reviewing information relating to the election process which is something that has been hard to come by in the past.

I also intend to take that sheet, and instead of having it simply go to the current volunteer location, allow a person to select which candidate (if their information is provided) should get the information.

This forum, in the past, has provided candidates with the ability to post things about their run for office but I think some people shied away from using it, afraid of the 'bashing' that often occurs.

merrimackvotes.org is NOT, and will NOT be an interactive site (in terms of rebuttals to candidates positions (if they appear on the site).

It is data driven, not emotionally driven.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:36 am

Jeannie,

How do I feel? That people in this Town love living here. They have opinions on lots of topics and often times simply do not know how to make those opinions turn into something real.

The site is out there to keep people informed about the upcoming elections and how they can be a part of it, if they wish to (and personally I hope everyone does).

After the election, I hope to add information about the new Charter and how people can make changes outside of the voting booth through the empowering processed defined within it.

As my previous post stated, I got started too late for the MVD and I had a hard time trying to find information about whose term was actually up this year (turns out its only one). Does the MVD matter? That is a personal option (and I only bring it forward because I have heard 'it doesn't matter' more often that not).

Thanks,

Brian

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Brian

We expect this site to help voters understand how to vote - and how to make a difference.

Who is the group? People who feel like I do.

How do you feel? I have no idea.
What kind of difference are you planning to make?

The fact that Andysinnh is involved is troubling to me. It isn't personal against him but I know his way of thinking. So why not come out and say you want higher taxes? At least it would be honest rather than pretending to represent the people of Merrimack.
Brian McCarthy

Postby David McCray » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:54 am

Brian McCarthy wrote:Morning everyone.

I've got some more work to do with some items on the site, for example, figuring out how to give each candidate the ability to at least provide a link or email so people can contact them - it may go further, depends on how much time I have. I also can't do that until filing period has closed.

I started too late for the MVD filing period (didn't know about the deadline for signing up until the day it occurred).

I have all three moderators (ok, two Lynn does MVD and Town) and the Town Clerk providing (through requests sent to them) and reviewing information relating to the election process which is something that has been hard to come by in the past.

I also intend to take that sheet, and instead of having it simply go to the current volunteer location, allow a person to select which candidate (if their information is provided) should get the information.

This forum, in the past, has provided candidates with the ability to post things about their run for office but I think some people shied away from using it, afraid of the 'bashing' that often occurs.

merrimackvotes.org is NOT, and will NOT be an interactive site (in terms of rebuttals to candidates positions (if they appear on the site).

It is data driven, not emotionally driven.

Brian

Brian I may have missed it in your post but again just for clarification, will your group be endorsing candidates and issues?

I ask the question because I agree with Wayne that it may be beneficial to citizens, for the town to promote the site but before I include it in my weekly announcements at council meetings I have been told that I need to verify that the site is not promoting any specific candidate or issue.
Thanks
Dave
David McCray

Postby RBarnes » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:37 am

David McCray wrote:Brian I may have missed it in your post but again just for clarification, will your group be endorsing candidates and issues?

Brian, along with Dave's question which I too would like to know the answer to I have a couple others.

Will the group be having public meetings, if so where and when?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby Debra Huffman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:46 am

Brian and others, keep up the good work. If the goal of your site is to share information and not to push any specific agenda, I think it is a great idea. We need to get more people involved in the community, and I'm all for any way we can do that.

As for public meetings, I hope you don't have them. Your volunteer hours are too few as it is, and once you get a bunch of people involved it will suck your time away, and it will be really hard to prevent a face-to-face meeting from becoming political rather than purely informative.

Good luck.
Debra Huffman

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:40 pm

Rather than non-partisan though, I hope it, and eventually other sources of balanced information can be multi-partisan. Town Democrats, Town Republicans, Town Independents, Town third party members and non-partisan town races, all sharing updates and objective information.

I hope to get every Democratic presidential candidate into town before the primary, and i'd be incredibly proud if the GOP town committee could get every Republican candidate into town as well.

I want to see Merrimack become a political mecca for New Hampshire, and educating ourselves and educating and empowering the voters is going to be the first step in that process.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:26 pm

The site will not be endorsing candidates nor backing ballot questions. Our goal is to get people to feel comfortable with the the election process.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby M@ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:57 pm

You're site might work well as a Wiki.

M@
M@

Postby RBarnes » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:35 pm

M@ wrote:You're site might work well as a Wiki.

Andy Silvia started a wiki page last year to try to get information up, sort of a voters guide.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby andysinnh » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:56 pm

RBarnes wrote:Andy Silvia started a wiki page last year to try to get information up, sort of a voters guide.

Part of the issue is getting the word out that the information is out there. Hopefully Dave can add it to an announcement at the TC meeting, as well as other vehicles the group is looking at. As Brian has said, it's going to be completely candidate-neutral - aimed at true education of voters in town of the processes, dates, etc. For example, the school district warrant articles were posted on the site yesterday - thanks, Brian! And to the point about the volunteer sheet that Dave referred to, it's to volunteer to help with the merrimackvotes.org concept - getting the word out!

andy

edit - here's the link to the "about us" page... http://www.merrimackvotes.org/docs/aboutus.php
andysinnh

Postby David McCray » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:39 am

Andy at the beginning and end of Thursday's meeting I gave a plug to the site with enthusiasm.

I think it is a great service to the town and I will do what I can to get the word out.

I will mention it at every meeting between now and the election and do whatever else I can do.

Have you contacted the press ? I am sure they would do an article on it that will will raise awareness of it.

Dave
David McCray

Postby Michael Thompson » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:59 am

David McCray wrote:Have you contacted the press ? I am sure they would do an article on it that will will raise awareness of it.

Here is the contact information for Tom Morrison at the Telegraph
594-6415
mailto:tmorrison@nashuatelegraph.com
Michael Thompson

Postby Debra Huffman » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:02 am

Bravo Dave! It takes guts to trust that this site will remain non-biased. You have given them that trust and I believe they will not disappoint you. This is a great community service and the effort should be applauded.
Debra Huffman

PreviousNext

Return to General Town Topics