2002 Highlights

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

2002 Highlights

Postby David McCray » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:59 pm

As humans we sometimes focus on whats wrong in our lives as opposed to what's right. As 2002 comes to a close it is a good time to reflect on the past year so I thought it might be fun for us to list some personal plusses from 2002

I'll go first

I started 2002 unemployed and in a wheel chair and had been a non smoker for just 24 days . As 2002 closes I have a job as a plant manager at Dav-Tech Plating which I enjoy and am back on my feet (figuratively and literally), I am still a non smoker a year later .

Goals for 2003---Lose 50 pounds and start running 3 times per week.
David McCray

Postby Carolyn G. Whitlock » Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:50 pm

2002 marked our entrance into a new stage of life. We are about to complete our first year of being "empty nesters." It is wonderful!
Carolyn
Carolyn G. Whitlock

Postby Chuck Mower » Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:37 pm

2002 has been an interesting bit of ground that I covered in my jouney to the valley of my dreams. I am grateful for the shared experience of my fellow travelers and have been reassured of all I thought to be true by the occasionl scenic vista from some lofty peak and the echoes of all who preceeded. In the hope of mankind rests the firm belief that what is ultimately good, will endure.
Chuck Mower

Postby jflis » Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:04 pm

2002, 'twas a good year... :) ...all things considered.

Started out rough; unemployeed after 25 years with DEC and lost my mom in law.

But things improved as the year went on.

Used the time I had to start a longtime dream of mine, a model rocket company!

Watched my son make honor roll at Clark University and watched my daughter enter her senior year of high school.

2003 promises to be a banner year!
jflis

A lot to be thankful for

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:07 pm

2002 has been a very good year for the Fairbanks family. Clayton Robert Fairbanks was born on May 21st this year, and has really made me realize what an amazing thing life is.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Norman Phillips » Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:37 pm

Starting the next cycle with our first great grandchild, has been uplifting for Martha and me.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Debra Huffman » Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:31 am

For us, also, 2002 is ending better than it started.

At this time last year the sinking economy was sounding the death knell for my husband's business, I was still working outside the home, and I was neck-deep in what anyone with any sense assured me was a fool's mission (Greens Pond).

As 2002 closes, my husband has sold his business to his former company and has gone back to his office at the mothership, I am home again full time (yippee!!) and a hoard of forward-thinking people in our town rallied to this fool's aid and completed the mission.

For 2003 I will make my perennial new year's resolution: to become more physically fit.
Debra Huffman

Postby joe179 » Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:27 am

For us 2002 was also a year that ended on a positive note. We had the pleasure of our granddaughters company for about a week every month and are closing the year with a visit from her now!

I personally found 2002 to be very enlightening and rewarding, as I became acquainted with many wonderful people in our town. I shall close my post with a quote from a lecture by Russel Conwell titled Acres of Diamonds-- (Note: in the following I equate the word man as man or woman):

…Any man may be great, but the best place to be great is at home. All men can make their kind better; they can labor to help their neighbors and instruct and improve the minds of the men, women, and children around them; they can make holier their own locality; they can build up the schools and churches around them; and they can make their own homes bright and sweet. These are the elements of greatness; it is here greatness begins; and if a man is not great in his own home or in his own school district, he will never be great anywhere…
joe179

Postby Rosemarie L. Rung » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:54 pm

What a great thread! Nat, your son is beautiful! I wish him and your family many years of happiness and health!

I consider every year a good year as long as my family is healthy and happy (which we are). However, I look to the day when my good year is the good year of every else, and I mean everyone on Earth.

I remember the anger, sadness, and tears among the new school supporters when the bond issue failed last April. Yes, we desperately need a new school to solve our space needs in Merrimack, but when you look at our community compared to others in our world, we are blessed. There is a community I learned of in Ethiopia that has the same population as Merrimack, but thousands of children and their families live on the street, homeless, in abject poverty, in a country on the brink of famine. A 9 year old girl was shot in front of her home this week in the Gaza Strip. Can you imagine this happening in Merrimack? Can we be truly happy when there is this type of tragedy befalling families in other communities?

As a follow-up to Joe's great posting, I hope that Merrimack's greatness can spread to our neighbors, both locally and globally, so that the happiness of our family can be the happiness of other families, too. This is what I will strive to do more of in 2003 (besides trying to get a new school passed).
Rosemarie L. Rung

Return to General Town Topics