taxes

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Pam Fitzgerald » Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:26 pm

Norman, I agree with your comment but I think to Tom's point the question is a little more complicated.

He is saying that the town hasn't approved the building of said library (as an example) and yet people's taxes are being impacted on the savings towards the building of library.

This is not to beat up the library project at all, but it appears that bonding this particular project would end up costing the taxpayers LESS than the savings program we are currently undertaking.

I think we have to remember people do move in and out of town and might not necessarily know the whole history of a particular project and not completely understand why a vote is constructed in a certain way. Yes, we should all be informed but the town budget is very long and can be overwhelming at voting time.

We've also seen arguments made on other subjects on why a particular course of action cannot/should not be changed because "we already have the money saved" and that course of action can be completely contrary to current needs assessment.

An interesting question that I don't think is as straightforward as would appear at first glance.
Pam Fitzgerald

Postby Norman Phillips » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:56 pm

Rosemarie---I think I need an answer from Tom. :)

I do not know in your post when you are referring to costs that are squirreled away in the budget, or when there is an "in-your-face" warrant article asking for money for a capital reserve fund. I share objections to the first item, but I have always been unsuccessful in getting the BOS or the Deliberative Session to go after the hidden items in the Budget. [ I guess I have also been unsuccessful with the BC :) ]

In fact I remember hearing Ken Coleman, Chair of the School Board, speak approvingly ( at the last Deliberative Session ) of the dedication of a small amount of money as a line item in the Town budget for the Library capital reserve fund. Three years ago, the BOS asked in a Warrant Article for $800,000 from General Funds Surplus for the landfill closing fund, and accompanied that with a $200,000 line item in the Budget for the same purpose. When I proposed moving the latter from the Budget to the Warrant Article so voters could see the total amount, mine was the only approval vote at the Deliberative Session! That is not a matter easily forgotten11 :(

With respect to the second way of getting money into capital reserve funds, it would seem to me that the reasons are spelled out adequately for the voter in the Voter's Guide.

But I repeat---I think I need an answer from Tom.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

taxes

Postby Storytjdsa1 » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:46 am

Norm,
I think Pam and Rosemarie understand completely.
Pam is correct that it is a very complicated point I was trying
to make but Pam put it more simply.
Tom S.
Storytjdsa1

Postby Norman Phillips » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:06 pm

:?: Tom. can you list the successive steps you would like to have seen taking place about funding for a new library? I think this might explain matters more clearly to everyone ( including me ! )

I have wondered about this several times in the past. For example, I think an initial warrant article worded roughly as
  • "Shall the Town save money for a new library? "
will not be very effective, since it is even easier to vote yes for such an article than it would be to vote for an appropriation of some money in a following year. :?:
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Norman Phillips » Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:33 am

Do you realize how much your home is appraised at now?

I posted some figures on the Solid Waste area ( the Pay-As-You-Throw thread ) that were relevant to funding solid waste programs. However, I just realized that one set of figures is of interest with respect to TAXES!
They are the Appraised Value of property in Merrimack, divided into two categories:
  • Residential $1,807,370,657 (79.4%)
  • Business/Industrial $468,345,943 ( 20.6%)

Since there are slightly more than 9192 households in town, this means that
  • the average home is assessed at $196,624!
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Previous

Return to General Town Topics