November 2012 elections

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: November 2012 elections

Postby jjgrady » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:26 am

Nat Fairbanks wrote:
2012_sample_ballot.jpg
2012 Sample Ballot

Be sure to scroll down to see the remainder of the ballot!
jjgrady

Postby Sylvie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 am

Once again I am curious...who's idea was it to go with one polling station?

I arrived this morning at 6:35am and a long line had already been formed out the school. By 6:55am traffic was already built up and the line was now forming in the road. Sure didn't seem safe as cars were wizzing by to eagerly go park by the tennis courts. I left at 7:35am and there were no traffic cops at any exists onto any streets.
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby cdw2000 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:17 am

I have to agree with Sylvie. I showed up at about 6:45am and the parking lots were full except for down by the tennis courts. The line of people was out the school door and around the building past the electronic sign. I could see that it would take far too long to vote this morning so I left, otherwise I wouldn't get to work on time.

I was OK with the town closing the polling place at St. James Methodist Church, which was where I voted previously, but I think this town needs a minimum of two polling places - at least for the national elections.

If the town insists on sticking to a single polling place for future elections, perhaps it should now be open between 6:00am and 8:00pm due to the need to accomodate 3 times the voters, who don't get the day off just to vote ...
cdw2000

Postby MissyB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 am

I thought I heard Lynn say during a TC meeting that someone said to her we are one town we should have one polling place. I think we are too big especially during a presidential election for one polling place. I remember when we had two polling places, and the line of cars waiting to get into the middle school after work was long on both sides of DW. If you think it was bad at 6 am, wait until 6 pm.
MissyB

Postby MissyB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:03 am

Also, I guess St. James did not work out too well. I never had a problem, but I heard others did. The road there is really not wide enough to make a turn lane. That was confusing.
MissyB

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:14 am

Great job today Lynn! My wife and I were in and out in about 10 mins. I was impressed with the organization. Thanks for the extra planning and hope the rest of the day goes well for all who show up to vote! :D
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby Speeder » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 am

My first time voting at the H.S., as I used to vote at St. James. I never had a problem there with parking or anything else.

The H.S. this morning was a disaster. Poor signage and no traffic cops on Baboosic Lake, then once in the building the "New Voter Registration" sign was next to the line for people already registered to vote, then the line for people with last name "M" (me) was about 200 people long, all other letters had no lines or very short lines. The woman checking off the "M" people and distrubuting the ballots had forgot her reading glasses. Seriously? Nobody in charge felt a change was needed? Also, poor advance planning as the "M" people are obviously a large contingent of voters and it would probably have warranted a split to "Ma-Mn" and "Mo-Mz". It took me 45 minutes to vote, compared to no more than 10 minutes ever at St. James.

I don't know if the consolidation to one voting place was a cost saving measure but for me, it did not go well at all.
Speeder

Postby Stan Heinrich » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Please remember this is a preseidential election and a whole lot more voters show up.
This is the first time voting at the high school has happened and I am sure Lynn is making notes to
improve the site.
As of 2pm there had been about 8,000 votes cast.
Lets hope for at least a 70% turnout.
Stan Heinrich

Postby tastyratz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:22 pm

just voted. for people who live in Merrimack its not bad at all.

15 minutes in what looked like an eternal line of cars, and 15 minutes in and out of the school. I was afraid it would take hours but not bad at all. There were cops directing traffic and tons of people working the line inside, it went FAST.

turns out 1 location is just fine they obviously just had a slow start this morning. It's more intimidating and hyped than ACTUAL timed wait.
tastyratz

Postby Sylvie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Really? Then why are the having to keep the polls open past 7pm now in MMK? We really will need to see the "cost savings" on this. Who can share that with us? Lynne C? Town Council?
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:32 pm

I have one complaint and that is regarding handicapped. We ran into a man with a cane who almost passed out trying to leave. We offered to get him a wheelchair. I had to use a wheelchair too even though I rarely need one.

It was lots of walking and standing for handicapped people. Saw several who were having trouble. Maybe have a wheelchair available or chairs so resting near the door. Just a suggestion.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Previous

Return to General Town Topics