10 Year Birthday Party for the Forum

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

10 Year Birthday Party for the Forum

Postby Tim Tenhave » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 am

Hi All,

I am looking at when folks joined the forum and I believe we may be coming up on 10 years. If so, when is the birthday? How about a get together party at a local establishment to celebrate?

Tim
Tim Tenhave

Re: 10 Year Birthday Party for the Forum

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Domain name records tell me I registered merrimackforum.org on November 17th 2002. Working backwards from that I believe the Selectmen voted to shut down the town run forum at their meeting on Thursday November 14th effective noon on Friday. I put up a temporary forum sometime early that Friday morning and the permanent forum was up and running the morning of Wednesday November 20th judging from the dates and times the first few accounts were created.

I'll leave it to someone else to pick the exact birthday for the forum. :D

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:15 am

Tim
Looks like I joined on Nov 21 2002 so it was pretty much the first week.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:29 am

Ah the good old days. 10 years wow. Nat set it up, Walter Billings (RIP) initially donated the space when this one moved from Nat's system to a real server, then Walter gave up his business and it landed where it is now.

I also believe some people asked for the original forum under the right to know.... wonder how many copies were sent out (although I did the admin for the Town site at the time, I did not handle any right-to-know requests).

I look at the Town run one as 'ahead of its time' and mis-understood by the BOS and many at Town Hall as to what it could do.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:49 am

I know at least one right to know request was filed since I have a copy of the town run forum data. At one point I wrote some scripts to convert it to HTML and posted it on the server run by Walter Billings but the converted data didn't survive a server move and I'm not sure where I put the original CD I got from the town.
Nat Fairbanks

Postby MissyB » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Wow! Ten years! Hard to believe!
MissyB

Postby RBarnes » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:47 am

Tim Tenhave wrote:How about a get together party at a local establishment to celebrate?

We totally should.

Maybe upstairs at Swans?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby ggkrupp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:56 am

RBarnes wrote:
Tim Tenhave wrote:How about a get together party at a local establishment to celebrate?

We totally should.

Maybe upstairs at Swans?

I think it would be interesting to see which posters would show up. Would those who don't post with their real name come?
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby Debra Huffman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:21 am

I'll come regardless of location, and I love the upstairs at Swan's, but there's limited food and drink so it might not have as much appeal as other places. Last time we tried the upstairs at Common Man, and that was good for food and drink, but we ended up sitting in a large circle and I think that was a bit awkward for conversation. I think next time we should figure out how to mingle, more like a party where you can drift from one conversation to another.

Like Jeannine, I joined on Nov 21, 2002, so that's about when this edition of the forum started. The previous Town-hosted forum started in the previous year, sometime before April 2002.
Debra Huffman

Postby Tim Tenhave » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

Glad to see there is interest. I am thinking we should get together in November, but after the election to avoid the political talk and divisions that could make in our ranks. Unfortunately it also means an outdoor venue may not work as well. Keep the ideas coming. If folks really want it earlier, weigh in...

tim
Tim Tenhave

Return to Other Topics (sports, work, commute, food, etc)