wood stove

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

wood stove

Postby carol budro » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:26 am

june 12 2011 just getting a large free standiing wood stove for fireplc chimmney ( fire opening 39x43 )
next i need to install a liner in one flue and block of flue no 2.
tried to get an inspection of chimmney ''crown chimmney '' came i gave $ 75.00 they tried to sell me. gave me no info on chimmney cond. so, i will have another co. do a movie of flue $ 100 . and make my own inspection.
liner co. making liner and flue tops. hnady man can drop liner and install covers.
i can hook at stove. now i need advice on getting wood ? can it be purchased split and cut . help with advice please.
carol budro

Re: wood stove

Postby Debra Huffman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:12 pm

There are several firewood dealers in the area who deliver cut/split cords. I use Chris Dunn, but I'm not sure if he's taking on new clients. You can give him a call at 424-8269 or 424-9043. (Those are the numbers on the net, not sure if they're accurate. I have his cell number at home.)

I think it's too late in the season to buy green, but that's up to you. Buying dry cords is more expensive. Once you figure out how many cords you'll go through in a season you can pre-buy green and store it for a year rather than buy dry cords. It's even cheaper if you buy grapple load (about 8 cords in logs rather than cut/split) but that's a lot of work.

You're smart to be cautious about your chimney. I don't know which liner you're using, but be sure to check the manufacturers requirements for insulation. I know the one we had installed said to wrap it in fiberglass insulation before putting it in.

Good luck!
Debra Huffman

Return to Other Topics (sports, work, commute, food, etc)