Computer Help

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Computer Help

Postby Concerned » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Getting tired of the constant emails, so I just updated my AOL software to V9.5. I only use them for email.

Now, when I access the internet and try to do a search, it re-directs to AOL search instead of using my preferred search engine Google.

Google is set as my default everywhere. The right side search bar will use Google but the left side re-directs to AOL. This is only happening after I just updated AOL.

Before, both sides just used Google.

Can anyone help me get rid of the AOL re-direct. They have no phone numbers you can call unless you apy for it and no email chat unless you pay. Same with Microsoft.

Thanks
Concerned

Re: Computer Help

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:07 pm

AOL likely installed a search add on in your web browser. You didn't say if you use IE or Firefox (or another). In both IE or Firefox go to the tools menu and look for "Manage Add-ons" in IE and "Add-ons" in Firefox. Select that menu item and look for an AOL search related add-on. Disable it and restart your browser.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Concerned » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks for the tip.

I did that and it still re-directs to AOL search. I even followed the Microsoft instructions for removing search engines under "manage search providers" which brought me to the same place that you suggested.

It did not allow me to disable but did allow me to remove which I did and google is the only one listed as a search provider now and is listed as default. Re-booted the computer just to be extra safe and lo and behold I keep getting re-directed via AOL search.

AOL buried something somewhere and I can't find it. Worse than a virus for pete's sake.
Concerned

Postby Wayne » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:01 pm

If you're using FireFox, a [google] search turned up this solution...

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/ ... 20bar&as=q

I'm using Chrome nowadays for a browser... it's much faster than FireFox...
Wayne

Postby Concerned » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Wayne,

Thanks very much. This is exactly the problem I am having.

Unfortunately, I am using IE8 and not Firefox. Any ideas on an IE8 fix? I even tried to google a fix but came up with nothing.

Thanks for the help.
Concerned

Postby RBarnes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:22 am

You may want to try installing a tool like Spybot. It searches and cleans up any add ons installed through 3rd party software.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Concerned » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:03 pm

RBarnes,

Thanks very much for the tip. I have run Spybot, Ad-Aware, Super Anti Spyware, and McAfee - all of which to no success. While they did help to clean up some junk, the AOL serach gremlin is still out there. I typically run these programs monthly anyway so my computer was relatively "clean" according to them.
Concerned

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Concerned wrote:RBarnes,

Thanks very much for the tip. I have run Spybot, Ad-Aware, Super Anti Spyware, and McAfee - all of which to no success. While they did help to clean up some junk, the AOL serach gremlin is still out there. I typically run these programs monthly anyway so my computer was relatively "clean" according to them.

Me, I'd fire up the regedit and search for AOL and rip every last piece of it off my system :-)
Brian McCarthy

Postby rmorrissey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:24 am

Have you tried in IE8 going to Tool --> Internet Options.

On the General Tab there is a Search section.

Click on the Settings button, and see what is set as the Default search, if it is not Google set it to Google
rmorrissey

Postby Concerned » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:09 pm

I tried that several times. I even deleted AOL as one of my possible search providers. Google is the only one listed and is also the default.

When I type something in the address bar to search, it immediately goes to:

http://slirsredirect.search.aol.com instead of using google.
Concerned

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:24 pm

I would take Brian's advice and go into regedit and do a find for slirsredirect. Once you find it delete the entire line.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Return to Other Topics (sports, work, commute, food, etc)