Looking for advice re: NJ Turnpike

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Looking for advice re: NJ Turnpike

Postby Debra Huffman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:56 am

Does anyone have any advice about the best way to get from just above NYC down to Raleigh NC? The shortest way is via the NJ Turnpike. I haven't been on that road in 30 years, but I'm told it's a horror show these days. Would you suggest avoiding it and going farther west? If so, which route?

Travel will be on a Sunday, so trucks should be less of a concern.

Any pointers? Thanks.
Debra Huffman

Re: Looking for advice re: NJ Turnpike

Postby andysinnh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:27 am

Deb - we haven't done that route in several years, but when we did, our preffered "less hassle" route was the Tappan Zee to the Garden State parkway and then hitting the NJ turnpike only for the bottom half, then thru Deleware and Maryland and down. Depending on the time of day it's not too bad. That's when we first got our EZPass from NY state, because it really helps at the toll plazas to speed things up. There are probably other ways that folks will share - but the GSP at least took part of the nutty NJ Turnpike off of the table for us....

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 pm

When we travel to Knoxville TN we take route 81 through Pennsylvania which avoids all of the NYC and DC traffic. It's a bit farther West to head to Raleigh but you might save several hours of driving time.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Ann Goldman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Debra,
In 2004 we went to Baltimore via NJ Turnpike. What a nightmare! If you can take Jeannine's preferred route I would recommend it.
Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby Debra Huffman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Debra Huffman

Postby Tom Williams » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:37 pm

I've driven both routes between NH and Atlanta, and I-81 is definitely the best route for that trip. However, the difference in distance for your trip will be greater because Raleigh is a good way east of the Shenendoah Valley route. I suggest you compare the calculated drive times on Google maps; I think I-95 will take at least one hour longer than calculated (and a lot of aggravation). Probably depends on where you cut back over to I-95. The worst mess on I-95 is from Boston to Washington. Richmond is not quite as bad.

Enjoy your trip south!
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby Stan Heinrich » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:56 pm

I drive a 45' coach bus to Virginia on many occasions. I prefer to go the Tappan Zee Bridge route to the Garden State Parkway to the New Jersey Turnpike.
A lot less backups and headaches. Hope that helps.
Stan Heinrich

Postby Debra Huffman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:08 am

Thanks again for the advice. My son is now on his way, driving back to college in Florida, stopping to visit friends on the way. He'll be taking the route several of you recommended - Tappan Zee Bridge, Garden State Pkwy, NJ Turnpike. I'd prefer the western route, but it's too far to get back east to Raleigh.

This is his first major "road trip." Say a little prayer.
Debra Huffman

Postby Ann Goldman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:19 pm

I can't help freaking out too. whenever I think of your son I still see him in his highchair. It's not like i haven't seen him older but that's how I remember him.
Ann Goldman

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:31 am

I know what you mean, Annie. For me, Juliane and Danielle will always be those wonderful little people going on adventures with my little Katie and Eric. And we don't look a day older either! :lol: We're little time-capsules for each other.

I'm beathing easier today. He made it to Raleigh last night. Whew. The rest of the trip should be a breeze.

Overall I'm happy that I raised my kids to be fearless in their travels, but a few years ago when Katie was doing a semester in Ireland and she said, "I'm going to visit Germany - alone - ..." or when Eric said, "We're going to take the train into NYC, check out Time Square, catch a comedy show..." I have to admit my heart just sort of stops for a while. Then I remember that when I was only 13 we used to take the train into NYC and hang out in Greenwich Village pretending to be hippies, and I survived somehow. I guess my mother worried just as much about me as I do about them.
Debra Huffman

Postby Linda Nickerson » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:30 am

that when I was only 13 we used to take the train into NYC and hang out in Greenwich Village pretending to be hippies, and I survived somehow.

I used to do that too! From the Babylon Station! Our goal was to get on the subway and get lost......and we did quite often! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My friends and I would stay up half the night making beaded necklaces, bracelets, etc. so we had the whole hippie look down!
Linda Nickerson

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:52 am

That's so funny, Linda. I didn't realize we had such similar backgrounds. (We got on at Huntington Station.)

Speaking of time capsules, your kids, Linda, will always be about 6 years old to me.
Debra Huffman

Postby Linda Nickerson » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 am

I know....yours too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linda Nickerson

Postby spnorm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:45 pm

I saw this thread too late to comment for this trip, but I have made many trips through NJ, and find that one frequent headache area is the Tappan Zee. Lately, I have been adding a few miles, but taking a much nicer drive by following I-84 all the way out to the Newburgh-Beacon bridge, then head south on the NY thruway. From there you can either pick up the GSP, or follow 287 and get it (or the turnpike) further south. Sometimes I'm not sure if people are crazier on the Parkway or Turnpike (no trucks on the parkway though). The Parkway can be murder on summer weekends with all the traffic to the seashore areas.
spnorm

Return to Other Topics (sports, work, commute, food, etc)