NH Non-Resident Carry License: $20 -> $100 July 1

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

NH Non-Resident Carry License: $20 -> $100 July 1

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:21 am

If you know anyone has been thinking about getting a NH non-resident concealed carry license, they should apply TODAY! Otherwise it could cost them $80 more in two weeks. The Democrats are trying to put through a QUINTUPLING of the non-resident license fee, from $20 to $100.

Application form: http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp ... ssp260.pdf

The effective date is July 1, 2009, two weeks from tomorrow.

Please spread the word.
Michael Pelletier

Re: NH Non-Resident Carry License: $20 -> $100 July 1

Postby Stan Heinrich » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 am

That is a great idea get the additional money from NON-RESIDENTS.
If you live out os state you pay more, plain and simple.
Stan Heinrich

Postby Linda Nickerson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 am

I agree, Stan. As someone who works in Mass and lives in NH I certainly pay more than my "fair share" of taxes. Why should NON-RESIDENTS get a break?
Linda Nickerson

Postby TonyRichardson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:55 am

Something to consider....

Many, if not most, of the people that this will impact are likely to be in law enforcement.

Increasing revenue from non-residents is a good idea, but would be more effective if aimed at a larger pool than this bill does.
(no pun intended :lol: )

Also, non-residents paying the same is not "getting a break", it is paying the same.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:25 am

Whatever happened to simply doing the right thing? I see a lot of sentiment to put an additional financial burden on non residents. It doesn't matter where you live, we are all still human beings. Just because someone lives out of state doesn't make them less of a person. They should pay a fee that reflects the cost of the service rendered, just as residents do. Using non residents as a revenue source is exactly what MA does to those of us who work in MA and live in NH. That still doesn't make it right.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby RBarnes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:32 am

I wonder if people would view things similarly if other constitutional rights had fees associated with them. Say you had to pay for a free speech license at $100 if you wanted to be able to voice your opinion on a forum such as this or if you wished to write a letter to the editor in a local paper, would anyone stand for that? What about having to pay $20 for your license to practice your religious? Yet somehow it is acceptable to charge for someone to actually use their 2nd amendment right.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby chrisorteg » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:23 pm

It is interesting when you consider:

"A state cannot impose a license, tax or fee on a constitutionally protected right. Murdock vs. Pennsylvania 319 US 105 (1942)." - Federal Court decision

Supreme Court decision: The U.S. Supreme Court broadly and unequivocally held that requiring licensing or registration of any constitutional right is itself unconstitutional. --Follett vs. Town of McCormick, S.C., 321 U.S. 573 [1944]
Christopher S. Ortega
chrisorteg

Postby RD » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:06 pm

The Constitution protects the right to keep and bear arms. It does not grant the right to carry them concealed.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby chrisorteg » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:17 pm

RD wrote:The Constitution protects the right to keep and bear arms. It does not grant the right to carry them concealed.

From the application: A license to carry a loaded handgun may be issued for PROTECTION or ALL PROPER PURPOSES. One or more of these
reasons must be noted on the application, in the space provided for reason(s) you make application to carry a pistol in New
Hampshire.

RD, I just reviewed the application. Nowhere in the document does it use the word concealed. It only talks about carrying.
Christopher S. Ortega
chrisorteg

Postby RBarnes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:29 pm

NH Constitution:
[Art.] 2-a. [The Bearing of Arms.] All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.

US Constitution:
Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Websters Law dictionary:
Main Entry: bear
Pronunciation: 'bar
Function: verb
Inflected Forms: bore /'bOr/; borne /'bOrn/ also born
transitive verb 1 : to physically carry (as an object or message) bear arms —U.S. Constitution amendment II>
2 : YIELD bear a dividend>
3 a : to admit of : ALLOW bear> b : ASSUME, ACCEPT bear legal responsibility for him> intransitive verb : to relate or have relevance bearing on her defense>
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby RD » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:11 pm

chrisorteg wrote:RD, I just reviewed the application. Nowhere in the document does it use the word concealed. It only talks about carrying.

Intersting. This, however, is from the FAQs section:

The NH Non-Resident Pistol License does not contain the wording "carry concealed." Can I "carry concealed" with this license?
Yes, a license issued under RSA 159:6 is a full privilege concealed carry license.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby chrisorteg » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:24 pm

One could contend that carrying (bearing), no matter how, is the constitutional right.
Christopher S. Ortega
chrisorteg

Postby Michael Pelletier » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:33 pm

A pistol/revolver license is also required in order to carry a loaded firearm "in any vehicle." Your Article 2-a right to armed self-defense ceases to exist when you get into your car or on a motorcycle, apparently.

One of the points of discussion during the legislative process of setting the fees and extending the timeframe of the license, back in the 90's, was mindfulness that a burdensome fee would effectively limit the license only to wealthy visitors to New Hampshire. Apparently the Democrats don't care about the little guys, as long as they're non-residents.

They were claiming, this year, that the fee doesn't cover the costs - they claim they're spending three hours on each application.

That's simply a mind-boggling claim. A gun shop can get a thumbs-up or thumbs-down answer for a prospective gun buyer within five minutes, using the National Instant Check System. OF COURSE the State Police have access to that system. They also have their own statewide criminal check system, and I can personally attest that getting that form stamped and signed off takes about two minutes. The only other inquiry that would have to be made to process the application would be to check the validity of the non-NH carry license provided by the applicant, and that's one other phone call to the other state.

Then you type the information into the card printer, print the card, stick it in an envelope, and move on. Maybe a step to make sure the check clears, too.

I simply can't imagine what they're doing that could possibly take three hours.

I'm doing my best to insure that gun owners across the country apply or renew within the next two weeks, and the pistol license revenue spikes in June, then drops to zero for July and onward.
Michael Pelletier

Postby spnorm » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:01 am

One could contend that carrying (bearing), no matter how, is the constitutional right.

One could also contend that, unless one belongs to an organized militia (a.k.a the armed forces), they have no right to keep or bear arms. Personally, I am not for banning gun ownership - I just don't buy that the 2nd amendment grants that right to every citizen. The intent of that amendment has to be looked at in the context of when it was written. Not trying to start a gun rights argument here - just another interpretation.
spnorm

Postby chrisorteg » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:10 am

spnorm wrote:

One could also contend that, unless one belongs to an organized militia (a.k.a the armed forces), they have no right to keep or bear arms. Personally, I am not for banning gun ownership - I just don't buy that the 2nd amendment grants that right to every citizen. The intent of that amendment has to be looked at in the context of when it was written. Not trying to start a gun rights argument here - just another interpretation.

Your point is well taken, however the wording of the 2nd amendment states that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The people, as written, is every citizen.
Christopher S. Ortega
chrisorteg

Next

Return to Other Topics (sports, work, commute, food, etc)